Hondo's Bar

Table Top Gaming

Spycer

So, I have recently picked up Warhammer 40k, am currently running two DnD 4th ed games, and have a myriad of card and board games often played at my place.

So, my question to you is, what games are you currently/recently playing, and what are you really in to?

Also, here is a random warhammer picture:

1249717214.png

Haven't tried Warhammer, enjoy Dungeons and Dragons (but I'm not ready to move on to 4th ed. yet. Spent too much money on 3rd and 3.5 eds. to start collecting another new one), I've played World of Darkness (new and old, preferred the feel of old. Especially Changeling). Been considering giving Shadowrun a try.

I invested well over a grand in just books in 3rd and 3.5 but in the end, the PDF copies of most of them serve me just as well, since I don't use them all constantly, so I sold most of the supplements. I didn't want to play 4th, but my best friend bought it and tried to run it, which did not go well. The entire party voted and I was elected NEW DM without anyone bothering to tell me until it was done. He lent me the books, and now I am running 2 games, using his books. At least the players are happy.

I've played both old and new WoD and I agree, I like old better. New is a fine game, as long as it wasn't related to old, or published by WhiteWolf, but as long as they are related, players will hate NWoD.

Honestly, in both the case of DnD and WoD, each new edition gets more polished, better art, higher budget, and dumbed down more. I found the same thing going from 2nd ed DnD to 3rd. 3rd to 3.5 felt like a windows update, rather than a lifestyle adjustment.

Either way, each of the above is a good way to spend some gaming time, but each new edition has to find a game or a facet or something that sparks my imagination, or else I won't really play it. Or apparently a mutiniy can do it to.

As far as Shadowrun, I've made characters for it several times, but never actually played it, as games always fall apart.

See i have to disagree about both versions of DnD and WoD.

DnD needed to do four things: Get rid of/fix useless classes (I'm looking at you specifically Bard/Ranger); Fix overpowered classes (Wizards/Sorcerors) and the huge divide between melee and spellcasters; make playing low level characters feel as cool as playing 10th level 3.5 characters; make the classes more inter-dependent, specifically to encourage more teamwork. It succeeded on all ends.

With WoD, the Changes were a bit more specific: there were too many vampire clans with too many stupidly broken abilities (Chimestry, Viscicitude, and Obtenabration come to mind. and if anyone ever played Transylvania by Night and saw what Tzimisce Koldunic Sorcery or Mortis could do, you've never seen what 'broken' really is). There were also USELESS fucking disciplines. NWoD shrank it down, got to the basics and reworked the system to make it more streamlined, more dangerous to the players, while not compromising the power of a Vampire.

The new systems kept the good and threw out the broken...the problem is, power gamers as a whole flock to 'the broken' and clutch to it like lice to white trash, and bitch and complain when you 'fix' it. We see it in WoW and we see it in DnD, too.

Shadowrun is a different game entirely, far more difficult than it had any right being but very rewarding: so long as you had a very imaginative DM who loved to fuck you while having a team of people actually willing to work together to fuck the DM. I never saw 4th ed, but it supposedly fixed and streamlined alot of the decker/magic issues and made everything function on the same premise instead of having a different system for each class.

Edited by archangel

I started with DnD 3rd Ed, moved to 3.5 (played in all different settings) and 4th Ed. I've played Vampire, Werewolf, Mage (3rd Ed) and 4th ed WoD only, I've played Shadowrun and I've played Mutants and Masterminds ( a VERY fun game but I broke it in 15 minutes and made an Iron Man character that was unkillable and could kill anyone).

Edited by archangel

Or just play the game in the dirty vag and be done with it

I played DnD 2nd, 3rd, 3.5 and 4th, and with each edition it gets more polished, simpler to understand, and more watered down and less imagination inspiring. WoD did the same thing. The OWoD had lots of cheese and problems, but NWoD has no soul to it. I prefer content to shiny system.

Edited by spycer

How do you figure? They're not changing creatures, they're only changing mechanics. The same things existed in 2nd ed that exist now in terms of equipment, feel and style. The ONLY difference is the combat algorithm.

DnD is a combat game; primarily a dungeon crawl with monsters thrown at you. That's how the system is designed.

and while THACO was a pain in the ass, I still maintain 3.5 is far, far more complicated than 2.0, and both were more complicated than they had any right to be.

Contrary to DnD, WoD is primarily a role playing game...except 3.0 put more emphasis on combat and made made things more complicated.

Content remains the same, the only thing added was balance. Gone are the days of the bullshit level 20 mages and their invincibility or the elder Tremere's godlike stature because of bullshit Thaumaturge.

All the classes are now useful, they all have tons of flavor, there's tons of content, and everything is balanced.

Edited by archangel

Items are drastically different. If you took one character from 2nd, and transfered it to 3rd or 3.5 his equipment either does not exist, may have a close equivalent, or the item with the same name does something drastically different. Same exact problem going to 4th ed. Each of them changes values, creation systems, relative power levels compared to characters, and overall feel and utility. Each edition gets more and more like a childrens touch screen menu of choices, making everything less complex, and leaving you with less room for creative play. Each step feels more like an MMO push button power, without much choice left. Old spells and class abilities, etc in 2nd gave the idea behind things, and left it to interpretation. 4th tells you exactly what one single thing that power or item does, limited to exactness. None of these things can't be worked around, and any good DM/GM should work around them, but why choose a system that is watered down?The only reason I can think of is a GM who has no control of their own game, and/or no sense of game ballance.

Also, I love THAC0. It is exactly the same as the attack rolls in 3rd, but it's expressed backwards and retarded.

Love it!

Edited by spycer

Items are drastically different. If you took one character from 2nd, and transfered it to 3rd or 3.5 his equipment either does not exist, may have a close equivalent, or the item with the same name does something drastically different.

because they didn't want magic items to a. be a crutch and b. define the character.

One of the things I hated about DnD were the cookie cutter items. Every mage had a circlet of Intellect +4. Every rogue had gloves of Dex. Every adventurer had his Heward's Hefty Haversack. There were so many cooker cutter items that characters came to rely on, they became dull.

In fact, the running gag was that somewhere in Faerun there was a factory of magic users who do nothing but spend all day making these ridiculous items and selling them to lazy adventurers.

What's worse, you take a level 14 character and strip them of they're magic items and they're next to useless. That was a big, big problem.

Magic Items are supposed to be extras, but not Character Defining. A warrior is a warrior with any sword, though he may have an affection to a certain relic. But for that warrior to be rendered useless if he looses his +5 Mighty Cleaving Vorpal Great-Axe, then there's a serious problem.

Your character is not the sum of his magic items.

Old spells and class abilities, etc in 2nd gave the idea behind things, and left it to interpretation.

and became either useless at higher levels or ridiculously broken.

4th tells you exactly what one single thing that power or item does, limited to exactness. None of these things can't be worked around, and any good DM/GM should work around them, but why choose a system that is watered down?The only reason I can think of is a GM who has no control of their own game, and/or no sense of game ballance.

flavor text is just that: flavor text. Mechanics is what's important. You can rename and reflavor every single one of your abilities to make them appear however you want, and I've got to tell you: the differences in utility between third and and fourth only means players stop being fucking lazy and start thinking how to solve problems. ya know: roleplay?

Also, I love THAC0. It is exactly the same as the attack rolls in 3rd, but it's expressed backwards and retarded.

you, sir, are a lost cause.

Edited by archangel