Hondo's Bar

Batman vs Captain America!

The NZA

1255874507.jpg

1255859393.jpg

Ly was right, this warrants its own topic! so here goes, this should be fun.

To those of us who read a lotta comics, this fight was one of the biggest upsets in the 90s event. It was a popularity contest, and really, even Wolverine wouldnt win against Batman in that venue. But a lot of fans who arent familiar/give Cap his due argued it was fair, because everyone likes their boy. I stand that Batman is out of his league against Cap, and itd be a fun fight but Daredevil would've been a much more fair/even fight.

Still, last night i had the distinct pleasure of having 3 hondonian bat-fans bash the Sentinel of Liberty without knowing a thing about him. Granted, gunsmith doesnt really read comics, and arch is a well known hippie communist. However, on occasion, bishop can be reasoned with, and hopefully a few of you can also & will enjoy this.

Strength/Durability

Due to Silver-Age definitions of "peak human", older fans have left Cap with this term. I was hoping showing bish "dude can lift 1100 pounds" would suffice, but bishop, bless his heart, is lifting more & more himself at the gym each week and perhaps has loftier goals than id given him credit for. The truth is, Cap (like his Ultimate persona) would be considered meta-human, or just beyond normal human strength/ability.

Most fans saw him punching Iron Man's armor in Civil War, and said armor - built to withstand missile blasts - bending. Granted, an indestructible shield doesn't hurt matters, but there's numerous panels of just fists hitting said armor that i can dig up, for starters.

Additionally, he can take far, far more abuse than Bats' frail human body can. There's numerous examples of him going toe-to-toe with all manner of cosmic entities, but i think we'll just leave it here, with him being shot in the head and surviving.

1255867587.jpg

(for those wondering why this didnt happen after Civil War: he blocked a sniper shot (to save an officer) and took 3 slugs to the chest, point blank. While this normally wouldn't be enough, he had "power dampeners" on at the time.)

1255843812.jpg

this is what cap does to overrated rich-boys.

Batman, on the other hand, can clearly be broken like old china by a souped-up Lucha Libre.

1255889171.png

yup. let's not forget that time he fractured his skull cause someone cut his tagline. clearly on the same level.

Speed

Bats is traditionally very fast, partly due to his various gadgets. Steve, on the other hand, has both jedi-like vision and reflexes.

1255802672.jpg

additionally, cap can dodge bullets at point blank range.

1255817490.jpg

durability's not his only high mark; his endurance is well beyond that of humans. for those not keeping score, he's hauling ass, carrying someone through a warzone at 60 MPH here.

1255877143.jpg

Experience

As far as fighting styles go, its kind of a wash. Both get that weird "know every martial art known to man" crap somehow. Both are quite strategic and known to use the terrain to their advantage, etc. But how much combat have they seen? Which one of them has had to fight the Hulk solo?

Batman has been fighting purse-snatchers and various psychologically damaged villains for decades now (and more powerful beings with a team of gods in the Justice League). Captain America was fighting & killing Nazis in World War II, and has seen a few wars since. His enemies aren't street thugs; they're armed & trained soldiers and terrorists. By most accounts, he was frozen after WW II until sometime in the late 60's/early 70's (depending on what you read), which still gives him nearly 50 years of doing things like punching Hitler in the face.

1255880739.gif

yup, that's who some of you voted against. why exactly DO you hate america, anyway?

1255853119.jpg

that's right. even galactus knows the score: cap has used guns, and like han, will shoot first. batman couldve used some help against darkseid.

1255830252.jpg

note: cap is also hardcore.

Conclusion

1255801379.jpg

captain america: climbing statues without grappling hooks or capes since '41

The more you look at it, the more you realize this fight isn't even close. Batman is the peak human mind/body as a vigilante; Captain America is obviously a metahuman soldier who the gov't has spent years trying to recreate for a reason.

1255896202.jpg1255892260.gif

on the left, captain america vs Thanos (and death) after the entire Marvel universe fell. on the right, what batman spent his time doing during the golden/half of the silver age, more or less.

....and finally, just for good measure: even batman himself admits that he can't win against Captain America. if this doesnt seal the deal, honestly, you probably defend the movie Batman & Robin at parties.

1255822198.jpg

...straight from the horse's mouth. Also, through the magic of the internets, you can see how this fight goes down both

and

*please note: while cap will outfight and outlast bruce, im not denying the power of bats to lose, regroup, come back another day with a plan and take on the avengers or something wacky because he's the goddamn batman etc etc

not really, if you actually read through that, it took a bit to toss together (again, was fun though)...i dont feel compelled to do others' homework for them, if that's what you're asking. :D

Batman has over 70 years of material, and is a dynamic character despite the fact that many of you cannot name 10 books of his you'd hold in high regard. This thread was intended to show you bat (movie, cartoon, etc) fans why he'd not win in such a fight (and why i dont think any of you have read/know much captain america), so you're welcome to refute anything i have there or add your own to the mix, man. if we put Bats against someone who he could handle, ill dig up stuff to support that argument.

...did i offend? if so, this should appease you.

1255876889.jpg

bear in mind, first shot aside that's all the same guy!

I think a lot of people assume Cap's just some pretty strong guy who throws his shield about but that's not even close to what ability he has.

Okay, look at it this way. Bane, one of Batman's more underrated villains: smart, clever, articulate, resourceful, and super strong. To date, Bane remains the only Batman villain (including heavy hitters like The Joker and Ra's Al Ghul) who have ever managed to actually injure the man.

Captain America can beat Bane rather easily (I realize he had a little trouble beating him in the DC vs. Marvel but Venom was kicking Superman's ass, so that book can't be trusted) and using nothing more than his fists and his shield, no batarangs, no smoke pellets, no descending from gargoyles, or pulling tubes out of his back. He would beat him senseless.

Batman's used to fighting whimpy psychopaths with fast reflexes and deadly weapons or giant brawlers. Ra's and Bane have been his only real challenges fighting-wise and Cap could take either one easily.

Nickus: Bruce is a self made superhero--a man who through his own sheer will has become one of the greatest forces for good in the DCU. Steve was a wimpy wannabe that had to drink magic hero juice. Cap died from a shot in the back by his crazy Whiskey Tango girlfriend. It took an intergalactic, multi-dimensional conquistador to Kill Bats. Winner: Batman.

'Nuff said.

Nickus: Bruce is a self made superhero--a man who through his own sheer will has become one of the greatest forces for good in the DCU. Steve was a wimpy wannabe that had to drink magic hero juice. Cap died from a shot in the back by his crazy Whiskey Tango girlfriend. It took an intergalactic, multi-dimensional conquistador to Kill Bats. Winner: Batman.

'Nuff said.

you...you ddint even read the thread, did you?

batman's an emo rich kid who's about as "self-made" as his parents afforded. Steve was a gov't experiment, no doubt, but he doesnt hide behind a mask or fight purse-snatchers, he saves america from terrrorism and global threats. bow your head.

Cap, if youve read my first post, can take gunshots, and has - even to the head. im again showing why these 2 arent on the same level: batman's good at bullet-dodging, no doubt, but he doesnt fight trained soldiers much. you see that panel with cap dodging Winter Soldier at point-blank range? that's one of the world's finest assassins he's out-moving.

anyway, again, cap took power dapeners and like 4 shots (3 dead-on) to bleed out. Batman had to learn how to use a gun and not move quick enough to eat it. also, since we're only focusing on this to make arguments: Cap is like 30 days from being back, while bats is getting his skull licked by Black Hand and looking to lead a zombie army for however long Blackest Night drags its nuts. yup, this is your "great forces of good" you run with sir, not the hitler-punching hero. excellent choice.

i was hoping this'd be more fun (where's bish? i wish jumbie was around) but so far ly got upset and you got nothin' in the ring for your boy. i know it sucks cause batman is a really cool character, but there's nothing wrong with being clearly out of your league...i love Wolverine, but he's walter weight at best next to Lobo. i laid it out pretty clear in the first post, why is this so hard to accept?

this is like my new campaign, its been years since the braveheart/gladiator one. ill have folks see the light somehow.

no, but i did skim it like milk.

anyway, again, cap took power dapeners and like 4 shots (3 dead-on) to bleed out. Batman had to learn how to use a gun and not move quick enough to eat it. also, since we're only focusing on this to make arguments: Cap is like 30 days from being back, while bats is getting his skull licked by Black Hand and looking to lead a zombie army for however long Blackest Night drags its nuts. yup, this is your "great forces of good" you run with sir, not the hitler-punching hero. excellent choice.

*sigh* you cannot blame a man for the actions of his re-animated corpse. we've got like a bazillion movies and 60+ issues of The Walking Dead to back that up

And I hate to quote 3OH!3, but you can't trust a ho. Sharon Carter delivered the death blow; she said it herself:

Captain+America+25-5.JPG

i laid it out pretty clear in the first post, why is this so hard to accept?

crazy talk is always hard to accept. you make the crazy talk hence the lack of acceptance.

yeah, so zombie-bats beats sentinel of liberty punching hitler. there's crazy talk alright...and its on your side of the fence.

when did i say sharon didnt do the final slugs to the chest? i added power dapeners and you're skipping that to focus on this one angle. seriously: educate yourself, read my post and try to refute just one thing there, or speak on bats one-upping any of that. until then, crazytown population: ly con haku.

'Nuff said.

That game obviously did not even try to incorporate the Cap'n's awesome sketching skills. Color me disappointed.

batman's an emo rich kid who's about as "self-made" as his parents afforded. Steve was a gov't experiment, no doubt, but he doesnt hide behind a mask or fight purse-snatchers, he saves america from terrrorism and global threats. bow your head.

Cap, if youve read my first post, can take gunshots, and has - even to the head. im again showing why these 2 arent on the same level: batman's good at bullet-dodging, no doubt, but he doesnt fight trained soldiers much. you see that panel with cap dodging Winter Soldier at point-blank range? that's one of the world's finest assassins he's out-moving.

i was hoping this'd be more fun (where's bish? i wish jumbie was around) but so far ly got upset and you got nothin' in the ring for your boy. i know it sucks cause batman is a really cool character, but there's nothing wrong with being clearly out of your league...i love Wolverine, but he's walter weight at best next to Lobo. i laid it out pretty clear in the first post, why is this so hard to accept?

this is like my new campaign, its been years since the braveheart/gladiator one. ill have folks see the light somehow.

First off, you go accusing people of not reading what's posted, and then you do the same? I believe what he said was

Bruce is a self made superhero

not self made man. He may've had his parent's money, but I didn't see it going into having a performance-enhancing drug that would give him powers made. The man studied and worked his ass off to get his skills to the peak of what is humanly possible. That was the difference that was being pointed out.

Secondly, what I was pointing out earlier was not me getting offended (although attributing shit like that to me without any sort of proof, that might just be a good way to do that), but pointing out a weakness of your argument, which was presented as a comparison despite your one-sided references about the two characters. While I am making fun of Captain America, I do so as a joke, not as an attempt to argue that Batman would win in a throw-down between the two of them.

You want an honest thought about what might happen? Scenario: They meet without any sort of knowledge of each other or preparation and somehow end up fighting without any of their weapons or tools. There is a hard battle fought, but Batman will probably loose the first confrontation because Captain America will have the edge in a first encounter. He will retreat and fight again. If they are not able to encounter one another again, that is it. If they end up fighting again, in the same type of situation Batman will have an edge and likely win in the end because once someone hits his radar, whether they are opponents are not, Batman will collect information about them (the first fight) and then prepare strategies for as many encounters as he can think of.

That game obviously did not even try to incorporate the Cap'n's awesome sketching skills. Color me disappointed.

dont be jealous. he can outdraw us both.

note: my money'd be on Colossus as a better artist, seeing as ive seen him draw in the last 20 years. heh.

not self made man. He may've had his parent's money, but I didn't see it going into having a performance-enhancing drug that would give him powers made. The man studied and worked his ass off to get his skills to the peak of what is humanly possible. That was the difference that was being pointed out.

yeah, but you guys were cheap-shotting the super soldier serum like that's all there is to the guy, "magic hero juice!" after i went and spent some time trying to (tongue-in-cheek or not) actually give solid examples of why cap's in a different league. you both obviously ignored that, so why not pigeon-hole the money and act like that's all there is to bruce?

honestly, batman's story is one of the most well-known in comics because its a great one. everybody wants to root for him cause its badass that he's the human amongst gods on the JLA, and its like a david vs goliath thing every time anyone's asked "can batman beat... (x)" because of this emotion. i get it, i do. its why i looked up to :wank: so much as an underweight kid: he could take on the hulk, and walk away from it! that's so awesome.

but honestly, i think it does a disservice to a character to not understand/respect their limits. why are none of us big fans of the Sentry? he's like all-powerful! but that's boring, too. i personally hate it when wolverine gets over-blown; i love him biting off more than he can chew, i dont like people thinking he's in superman's league, cause he's not nearly and he works best not being t here. i honestly think overselling batman does the exact same thing, and its worse (for me) when people dont even wanna read his books and see what he can and cant do.

1255914849.gif

cause it leads to stuff like this, ironically

Secondly, what I was pointing out earlier was not me getting offended (although attributing shit like that to me without any sort of proof, that might just be a good way to do that), but pointing out a weakness of your argument, which was presented as a comparison despite your one-sided references about the two characters. While I am making fun of Captain America, I do so as a joke, not as an attempt to argue that Batman would win in a throw-down between the two of them.

cmon, ly. read your post, you sounded pissy. i was looking for some fanboy-arguing fun, and you sounded upset. that wasnt what i was going for.

You want an honest thought about what might happen? Scenario: They meet without any sort of knowledge of each other or preparation and somehow end up fighting without any of their weapons or tools. There is a hard battle fought, but Batman will probably loose the first confrontation because Captain America will have the edge in a first encounter. He will retreat and fight again. If they are not able to encounter one another again, that is it. If they end up fighting again, in the same type of situation Batman will have an edge and likely win in the end because once someone hits his radar, whether they are opponents are not, Batman will collect information about them (the first fight) and then prepare strategies for as many encounters as he can think of.

kind of a cop-out, that's what bish (and i, read the spoiler'd part at the end!) said. batman can fight anyone, lose, regroup and supposedly "find a way" to take em in round 2. this still counts as a loss and forces you to go in weird directions...i.e., batman vs wolverine. if logan gets in close, its all over, and wayne woudlnt let that happen. lets say wolvy - who 9 times out of 10 has shitty writing and just leaps before he looks - gets slammed by any number of batman's devices for unstoppable shit coming at him stupidly, then escapes.

next on my weird fan fiction, wolvy comes to and with bruce's scent, sets out to kill him in his sleep. but if we're honest about how the characters are, he'd likely look him up, realize he's a good guy (and important to his city) and opt to just slash the tires on the batmobile or something.

but in that scenario, youd still say bats beat :D . that's all i was asking, a straight-up match, just like the event in the day! no idea why you guys coudlnt see that, even vulcan logic failed me.

ASC - much of :wolvy: writing has him doing dumb shit. he'd absolutely destroy bats, but im telling you, i subjected myself to all 190 or so issues of volume 1 of his book - he's written most times like a fucking WWF character. he does not think before he lunges. this is the only thing that would keep bats alive.

if he had a smart writer, like Greg Rucka? yes. otherwise, he gets subdued in some retarded way, and stalks batman after this. shit's formulaic.

arch - stick with DC, son! wolvy's lost to Cap a couple times now already.

Anybody seen a Canadian with a trash can head and a tshirt with the letter t on it?

No? OK, in that case let me say something on the topic so I dont get deleted. The solution to this question is found in diet. Bruce Wayne often misses meals and there are numerous scenes in the comics and movies of Alfred being frustrated at Batman choosing work over food.

Captain America is a disciplined soldier. He eats because it's part of the mission.

Batman almost certainly has constipation from poor diet. His farts will be stinker. He will therefore win this battle.

phillip knows whats up

that's cool, i can go into sports and say how the dolphins would crush the broncos, too, but it might not count for much.

the thing is, i think a few of you arent really respecting the medium so much. this isnt the Fight Club polls arc did in the day where we all cheerlead our favorites, no matter how crazy it is; im trying to keep it in context of character/writing. that's why i used the :wolvy: / bats example: if it was just no-holds-barred deathmatch, out of character all around, etc obviously logan'd tear him to shreds. But if you're willing to just throw away history/character, its kind of a moot point because superman would absolutely destroy 90% of the people were naming here (i think surfer, thor, few others would hold out longer/have better odds, not many though). but that doesnt even fit, because everybody oughta know he's all but defined by holding back. i think i saw him let loose for like 5 minutes at the end of Kingdom Come, and shit was scary.

hence the wolvy/bats fight. 9 times out of 10, he rushes in and improvises by cutting shit. this tactic, i think, plays to bats' strength (as opposed to a tactical fighter like cap), so i think its fair to say bats would either very briefly incapacitate him with gadgets/etc or flee. if :wolvy: was written like a 100+ year old samurai/black ops agent instead of a crazy barroom brawler, yes, this'd go totally different but then again he woudlnt get his ass beat as often by Elektra (i know it hurts to hear this, but im not making it up: i dont know that he's ever beaten her. seriously, think about that shit. were talking ninja-bitch vs a guy who hits you and its like brass knuckles all over cause he's made of fucking metal).

which is why i can point at the comics and say, no, cap has handled Wolverine on a few occasions. bear in mind, cap's about the only guy that logan will take orders from, so there's an argument for holding back there, too.

1255999144.jpg

if it looks familiar, its the original piece i used in the first post, but that was redrawn with bats.

but this could go either way: in Wolverine: Origins (great book) last year, he was kind of desperate and fighting for a weapon to protect him & his son, and he clipped one of cap's arteries. they basically implied that Scott (cyclops) had to intervene. if wolvy did his whole berserker thing where its just blood & claws (and even psychics cant read his movements, apparently), i think the longer the fight goes for, the worse the chances get of cap's shield saving him long enough to figure out a way to win.

could go either way, but i woudlnt agree with "crush". that's something Sentry would do to anyone here..if you know, he wasnt batshit crazy.

On the score of Batman V Cap, I cheer Batman on right up to the sombre, star-studded funeral(because someone has to clue Cap in on Batman's M.O so he simply puts him down as opposed to being the cliched defeat epilogue). Batman's drawcard is as a tactician. That is absolutely it, and any first-time victories are based on solid prep. Batman at his best is Kingdom Come Batman, where he effectively coordinates a robo-army. Against a souped-up trained soldier with over 60 years experience fighting Nazis & cosmic Deities? Absurd. I'd sooner see Batgirl(call me Mr Current affairs, but you know the assassin's daughter one who started out as a mute?) V Cap.

Cap V Wolverine wouldn't be that interesting a fight, and NZA highlight's the most interesting one I've ever seen as being in origins. Their Ultimate counterparts on the other hand? That would be some shit, considering Logan's brain is basically cleaned out to make way for strategies & Cap is effectively Batman in terms of tactical efficiency, not to mention he's not afraid to fight dirty/smart.

I agree w/ those who said :wink: could defeat Bats, depending on the scenario Bats might stand a slight chance, but :wolvy: would definitely take out Cap.

yeah, so zombie-bats beats sentinel of liberty punching hitler. there's crazy talk alright...and its on your side of the fence.

when did i say sharon didnt do the final slugs to the chest? i added power dapeners and you're skipping that to focus on this one angle. seriously: educate yourself, read my post and try to refute just one thing there, or speak on bats one-upping any of that. until then, crazytown population: ly con haku.

You failed to acknowledge Sharon killed Cap by adding the other events. The fact is she delivered the death blow. A white trash skank killed Cap'n America. Period. Full stop. End of discussion. It took a multidimensional overlord to kill Batman, but Cap got put down by some ho with a gat. The end. Buh-bye and. . .

obamatfront.jpg

I know the pic goes contrary to the "buh-bye," but I liked the juxtaposition. Plus I've been wanting to use this in a post since you started this thread, you Bath8r. :wink:

You failed to acknowledge Sharon killed Cap by adding the other events. The fact is she delivered the death blow. A white trash skank killed Cap'n America. Period. Full stop. End of discussion. It took a lucahdore on roids to break Batman

1256079288.jpg

shot 3 times after a 7-day war with power dapeners on =/= a poorly written book that ends like this.

its one thing to not know who Sharon Carter is, its another entirely to be a broken record unable to read the first post. come on back when you feel like participating, though!

JZA - yeah, Kingdom Come bats is formidable that way. i like thinking of him as the inevitable batman down the road, but some fans didnt like the take, oddly. i honestly havent read any of the mute ninja-batgirl though, you rank her above bats in this fight though? what's she do?

yeah, ultimate Cap vs Wolvy didnt go well last time, throwing the "James" bit out there was dirty, heh. again theyve kinda merged but id still think Ultimate Cap was stronger than regular, the way he almost effortlessly took down Pym and didnt skip a beat going toe-to-toe with Hulk. id love to use Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk here somehow but that fucking book took so long, i barely remember how it went down after She-Hulk (ugh). i guess its a moot point until :wink: comes back in that book, no idea when he's due.

shot 3 times after a 7-day war with power dapeners on =/= a poorly written book that ends like this.

its one thing to not know who Sharon Carter is, its another entirely to be a broken record unable to read the first post. come on back when you feel like participating, though!

kudos for "implied facepalm" pic. i will be stealing it in the future no doubt. i know sharon carter--used to be steve's WWII sweetie's younger sister, i think, but in current cannon she's steve's sweetie's niece. she may be this awesome SHIELD agent, but she got knocked up outta wedlock by a dude in the army. so white trash. plus thanks to red skull and co. she's now more fucked up in the brain than a trailer park full of bleach-blonde meth heads. whiskey.tango.

JZA - yeah, Kingdom Come bats is formidable that way. i like thinking of him as the inevitable batman down the road, but some fans didnt like the take, oddly. i honestly havent read any of the mute ninja-batgirl though, you rank her above bats in this fight though? what's she do?

yeah, ultimate Cap vs Wolvy didnt go well last time, throwing the "James" bit out there was dirty, heh. again theyve kinda merged but id still think Ultimate Cap was stronger than regular, the way he almost effortlessly took down Pym and didnt skip a beat going toe-to-toe with Hulk. id love to use Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk here somehow but that fucking book took so long, i barely remember how it went down after She-Hulk (ugh). i guess its a moot point until :wink: comes back in that book, no idea when he's due.

I'm not saying it was entertaining, I'm just stating that it's honestly Batman at his most useful. The bread & butter of his being is being prepared for almost any eventuallity, and able to run & regroup for anything he's not. Even his fucking camp 50's counterpart had Bat-Shark repellant ffs. He's a walking Deus Ex and it's completely unfair to mark him in a fight by any standard other than hand-to-hand, no back door, standard utility belt, maybe remote control Batmobile, and still the best he could hope to do is mace Cap, couple of strategic nerve strikes(no word on if they'll affect a Super Soldier though), and maybe run him over with his car.

Post-Catyclysm Batgirl was raised by an Assasin as a mute & as a perfect Assasin pretty much the way Ultimate Wolvie was. Not taught speech patterns by her dad in order to keep more room for strategies, killing blows, etc etc. killed her first foreign diplomat at the age of 3. For a good point of reference, read the Batgirl issue of the Batman Dies event that ran through the books a few years ago.

Archived