Hondo's Bar

Adaptation

It's a movie about the making of this movie, about a bunch of sad people trying to get by, hell it's about failure. Funniest movie I've seen this year though. For those of you who think that there aren't any original ideas anymore, charlie kaufman saves the day. If you've seen being john malchovich (and if you haven't, do so NOW) you know what to expect, a sad, smart, insanely original comedy. I dont want to give to much away because it's such a fun ride. The performances and direction were perfect, it can't be easy balancing the comedy and sadness in the story as well as they did. Nicholas Cage is great as the twin brothers, there's never really a doubt as to who is who, and for the first time, the technology used for this sort of thing is seemless. When they're both on screen it doesn't look strange at all. Anyways, there ain't much to say about this one, at least not till I see it again. I don't think I agree with all the critics saying it's better that "Being John Malchovich" but it's certainly in the same league. I reccomend the hell out of this one, it's smarter, funnier and more original than most movies you'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

Fianlly got to see this one. This was fucking great. I thought it was impossible to be more weird and original the Being John Malcovich, but this is just as weird and original, in a completely different yet very similar kind of way. These were Nick Cage's and Meryl Steep's best performances in my opinion. This really got you thinking about how the screenwriter (Charlie Kaufman) actually wrote this script. Did he write it like he told it, or did nothign of the sort happen. Best movie I've seen in a LONG time. Go see it, but see Being John Malcovich first if you haven't already.

• 1 month later...

Went to see this during the afternoon. Was mainly inspired to after watching Being John Malkovich again because it was on tv. I wasn't really sure what to expect but what I got was definitely not what I was expecting. To sum up for those who haven't seen it, Adaptation bases itself on Charlie Kaufman (Nic Cage and writer of Being John Malkovich screenplay) who is trying to adapt a book called 'The Orchid Thief' into a screenplay and his troubles of this.

What did I like about this film? It had a lot of themes carried over from Being John Malkovich which was cool. The sense of humour of the film was very similar, as was the mixture of pity and despair you held for some of the characters. The script of course was spot on and the acting was excellent, Meryl Streep giving her usual plucky performance and Nicholas Cage getting himself some indie cred. My fave sequences in the film were when Kaufman is bounding around the room rambling incessantly about ideas for the adaptation, or when Charlies brother Donald is talking about his own hilariously-cliched screenplay.

What I didn't like about the film? I sometimes felt the film was self-indulgent as I felt there were many in-jokes that I didn't pick up on, along with some I did. I preferred the film at its most silly, mostly around the start and middle, but felt it unravelled slightly at the end, contradicting itslef with some of the things Kaufman said he wanted to avoid. Maybe that was the point but I still thought it was poorly done.

Overall tho, I thought this was a very good follow up to BJM and in some ways superior. It definitely deserves all the oscars it gets.

• 2 years later...

Finally saw this one...man, Kauffman cant do wrong.

Nick Cage really had me convinced he was 2 different people...LL was pointing out how well he works at these neurotic roles, like Leaving Las Vegas. After this, id have to agree.

Didnt see the last half hour coming, but then again, the guy who played Striker in X2 said i shouldnt, anyway. Playing off of Malkovich was really cool to see, too.

Only complaint id have is after seeing this, im really reluctant to get back on the road here in Miami.

Yeah, actually, i was just noticing tonight that the Sunshine thread was lost in the crash, too, apparently, which is really a shame.

Of those 3 though, yeah, im with you on it being the best. Had to see that one twice....think ill make another thread for it now.

you know... this movie didnt really do anything for me...

i kept scratching my head and going "um.. wtf just happened?" i've been told it's because 1) i suck, 2) i haven't seen malchovich (or spotless mind for that fact), and 3) i'm not up to 'par' with that 'genre' of film...

lol and i agree. :welcome: