Hondo's Bar

Fighting Game Fans, Wet Your Pants!

BigChiefSlapaho

Holy shit, never heard of this thing....Junker, artistic, you guys seein this?

tropicmugen-shot7.gif

gouki-rockhoward.jpg

parappa-mbison.jpg

(i have no fucking idea how PaRappa got in there)

The joy of M.U.G.E.N. is perhaps best expressed with screenshots. As these pictures show, M.U.G.E.N. allows you to assemble any squad of characters, meaning you can mix characters from different classic arcade games, in the tradition of such games as Capcom vs. SNK and X-Men vs. Street Fighter.

...M.U.G.E.N. can be downloaded at no cost from www.elecbyte.com/. The source code is written in C, and is not public. Almost all aspects of a 2D fighting game can be designed, including the title screen, cinematic sequences, character select screen, fonts, game sound effects, background mp3/midi/mod/CD audio, character color schemes, projectiles, combo systems, special moves, regular moves, strikers, guard crushes, repeated air jumps, grapples, and more. Characters can be as complicated as you want them to be, depending on how intricate you make his or her state machine. Besides keyboards, M.U.G.E.N. supports a good number of game controllers and uses up to six buttons per character; also supported are Playstation joypads via a converter. Anyhow, it's a great piece of software that I wish I had more time to play with. If you're not a hardcore lover of fighting games, don't bother trying to craft games with M.U.G.E.N. -- you'll get sick. M.U.G.E.N. programming is perhaps not as much about programming in the academic sense as it is about creativity, animation, and attention to detail.

Dont have the drive space to mess with it right now, but im sure one of you guys'll get in on it...

I might havta pin this topic, really cool looking shit. Hey Chiefy, if there can be some customization to the fighters, whaddya think of an attempt at Drunken Battle 2-D?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wish we could..i think Chief said it involves a certain level of coding...everyone's hyped but no one's tried it yet, sadly...

seriously, if you give this thing a go, post back on it, i wanna know how difficult it is to work with, it does sound like an amazing lil program.

fucksake, all the old 2-D fighters, and PaRappa for some reason...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

Wow didn't even know guys even cared about this on here, let alone a thread. Given its 9 yrs old...

I luved this thing before Capcom finally struck a deal w acclaim for the marvel rites again. After that a dying art is now on its death bed.

This guy here has been designing his chars for just about 10yrs.. So they're aggressive on controlling visuals n the environment. Sickest designer IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDNIny31dsc

His chars look better than this flick today however. Lemme know if anyone wants to tryem out I'll shoot you the link

Edited by IceManML