Hondo's Bar

Being John Malkovich

Finally got around to watching this one. In its entirety, might i add.... ok, lemmie start off with the idea. just great! new concept brings about lots of questions. performances - superb. especially cameron diaz, john malkovich and john cusak. (i hated suzane's character) great music! the opening scene music comes to mind.

But it didn't click for me. why? basically because there were too many different ways to look at the movie. First, it looks like a warped comedy. Then it plays on the philosophical angle of being someone else. Then a 2-way or 3-way what have you. Finally, the whole puppeteer spheil. There wasn't enough to be connecting all these ideas.

on a good note, the concept and performances keept it going well. there was always something fresh.

That's funny, because Catherine Keener was the only one nominateed for an oscar for her performance, and she's the only one whose preformance you hated. Anyway, I completely disagree, I thought all the ideas tied together beautifully. One of my favorite movies of 1999, and that, as I've said before on this board, is really saying something.

Anyone who liked this movie should check out Adaptation, theoretically still out in theaters. Written and directed by the same writer and director of BJM, it stems from the same vein of originality. It's really different for everything else, just like BJMS is.

BJM is one of my favorites of all time. THe sheer number of original, brilliant, funny ideas in this astounded me. With this material they could have made a dozen movies. And the best part is that it all does fit in together perfectly. I never felt like I was watching 5 different movies or anything. The script was one of the best ever. And any other direction either would have made this too much of a comedy, or too much of something else. This movie actually cares about it's weird, fucked up, pathetic characters. I dont know how they did it but they balance the humor with the ideas with the drama so well, it was just perfect. The same goes for adaptation. Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman should really remain a team, I really think that only Jonze really understands how to shoot Kaufman's scripts.

yea i dug bjm alot..i was a little tardy in seeing it (saw it for the first time last december) but i thought the plot made sense, and the movie went at a good pace to where it held my attention, and wasn't TOO avande garde at the same time, (tho i must admit it was a tad bizzare at times) well done, creative, and i sincerely wish there were more movies thinking outside the box like this one, by far one of the best i've seen to date.