Hondo's Bar

Wolverine

The NZA

(Couldnt get much talk of this one over at Preacher's, dont think ill do better here, but what the hell...)

Wolverine is finally gettin a relaunch of his solo series in may, courtesy of Greg Rucka (Queen & Country, Whiteout, Wolverine & Elekatra: Reedemer) and Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitan, Punisher), and im almost hyped....Wolverine's one of those books that i pick up because he's my boy & i wanna see whats being done with him, partially out of some sense of fanboy completism too (ive got every issue, including specials, etc except for the many ass-awful ones thereve been). Greats like Adam Kubet, Lenil Francis Yu, Frank Miller, Chris Cleremont (in his time), Warren Ellis etc grace the book from time to time, and salvage it fromt the mediocrity of guys like Rob Liefeld ( :ill: )...even Skorce and Larsen did well. But there's a lot crap between them, sometimes. Editors have blatantly said "this is a book of WWF action, not plot" before, and for the most part, theyre right, sadly. But then i go back & read things like Origin, the original mini-series, and the good stints and i know it can be so much more.

Last month's Wizard had a 20 page preview in it, for those that read the mag (or wanna borrow my copy); it was a mixed bag. Rucka's doing better than most so far, but its not going anywhere it hasnt before as of issue # 1: helping innocnets & going on manhunts is all he does these days, its very akin to Punisher. But its a great starting point.

Robertson's art..christ, i loved it in Transemt, but i really dont like his Wolverine that much so far. In some panels i do, in others, he's this big, simian-looking (feet bigger than Beast's!) thing, strikes me as a bit too old...i dont want the Sugar Ray lookin Ultimate universe one either, but dammit, the Logan that Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri, Kubert, Yu etc had in mind was a badass.

:D would accuse me of just wanting to see more Japan/samurai/kill a millon ninja stories, and maybe thats true, so i keep readin to see what new directions the book goes in. The last few issues of the regular series have included a mob war, a fun "revenge on Punisher" issue, and right now, some dime-a-dozen story with awful art.

I could also be wrong about Robertson, ill post a few of his sketches that look promising; i just dont want the horrible Ethan Scrier (sp?) version with biceps on his biceps ala the Hulk...that's not an underdog, people. I could be way off, but the original concepts always looked like a decently fit (slightly younger) Clint Eastwood, not Arnold in a roid rage. But after reading through his homepage, Robertson seems to feel the same way, so I'm hopeful.

Anyway, hopefully artisitc or someone will see this & argue with me, i know its cheezy superhero stuff but im a Wolvy whore. And admittedly, im more hyped as i finish this post: after reading some of the stuff these 2 had to say on what they wanna do in their year or more on the book (check the link below), its looking good...

Darick Robertson's homepage, talks with Rucka about Wolverine

wolverine01.jpg

Cover to Wolverine # 1

sm_snkt.jpg

sm_bullet.jpg

sm_berserk.jpg

After readin more of his stuff (particularly this thread), im far more optimistic: the vision he & Rucka have for Wolvy isnt pretty, wont look like an N-Sync member like Sean Chen's, but its starting to seem damn fitting for the story. Some might feel, say, Jim Lee couldve drawn Jesse better in Preacher (he did a badass pinup once), but the art simply woulndnt have been nearly as fitting as Dillon's, the synergy between writer & artists wouldntve been there.

Im likin it a lot more, cant wait till # 1 comes out over here.

Goddamn, i just became this huge Robertson fan overnight.

Lookin over the art again, im thinkin it flows with what lil story's there, but seein him break down the character in his forums is what really does it for me:

When I think about this stuff I think about my own experiences with pain. As a kid I once broke my arm and it hurt. They put it in a cast and it hurt over the next 6 weeks but each day a little less. So even while the bones were mending, I was in pain.

So Wolverine takes a beating and his factor heals him quicker, but yeah,.. all that pain would still be there. Nothing about healing does away with pain. I also remember the words my pediatrician told me: "Pain is your body’s way of telling you to take it easy and get better" warning me to go easy on the arm. So Logan's body would be screaming at him, since he never does anything easy but regardless, his body would want to survive, and consequently send that message to his brain.

I also think that's why he'd get into all that Japanese philosophy. The years I spent in martial arts training, I learned about breathing and meditating through pain. As wise and experienced as he is, I figure Logan would be a master.

Speaking of the film and their excellent portrayal of Logan, I always think to the scene with rogue and the claws and she asks "when they come out...does it hurt?" and Logan says "Every time".

It’s what separates him from Superman. Kent doesn't feel pain, Logan does and while Kent is invulnerable, Logan is a fast healer. It makes the character far more interesting when he puts himself in harm's way for another.

Kent's struggle should be "I want to rule this world with my unstoppable Iron fist, but I won't." and why. As Rucka says in our Q & A, Logan is interesting because by all rights he should be a villain, and he's not and that's fascinating.

...this man right here, he's a fan, and im lovin it.

Plus, i even wrote him a letter about his art & all, and the man wrote me back, even tho my first one was nitpicking his style...he was really civil about it, struck me as a really great guy with a lotta good ideas in mind. Im behind his project 100%.

....time for some hardcore fanboy action that only 2T's gonna read through, im thinkin...here's the letters me & Darick Robertson have been trading, this guy's the best.

----- Original Message -----

To: TheIrishCowboy@hotmail.com

Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 12:15 AM

Subject: Re: PS

Thanks for your letter Nick. I don't really care for unsolicited criticism, but I know your intentions were good. Wolverine has often been depicted as a big guy. He's a runt, but a thick one. Check out Buscems, and Sam Keith for example. Or better yet, check out this:

http://x-mencomics.com/xfan/forums/showthr...&threadid=16632

And maybe you'll see where I'm coming from.

I'm getting an awful lot of opinions and the first issue isn't even out yet. As a I get more into the series, I will find my groove, and his look will be more like the sketches you saw that you like. I'm just a guy and I need time to get warmed up like anyone else.

I love Frank Quitely and Ethan Van Scrivers work, so I think your taste is different than mine. If you liked Transmet, you're probably going to like Wolverine. I've been a fan of this character since I was 13 and have been drawing professionly for almost 15 years. I think I'm up to it. They chose me for a reason.

Best Wishes- Darick Robertson

www.darickr.com

www.transmetropolitan.com

Nicholas Custer

Saturday, April 19, 2003 4:07 AM

DarickArt@aol.com

Re: PS

Darick -

Holy crap, you wrote back! You know, that means a lot.  Was thinking about it, and most writers/artists dont keep open forums like you do (I know Ennis doesnt, even many of our American guys dont), and with reason: Warren Ellis is right, you can see it at conventions - the venue of comics is a stragne one with a small number of people who dont seem fond of the medium itself, he once said "comics will hate itself to death", and looking at a lot of things on the net etc that seems very true - all the more reason i feel the ass for jumping on you on that first letter; i guess i respected your transmet stuff and wanted to be honest.

Not changing the tune here, but I spent part of the evening looking at your forum.  I think one of the reasons many Wolvy fans are wary is, weve had some pretty big talent on the book at different times, and even so, it was obviuos more than a few werent really fans.  Reading through your thoughts on the character - why he's stocky, older, not very pretty etc - i gotta be honest, after seeing a lot of that, if you were drawing anything shy of stick figures, i think id back you on concept alone, giving the actual character that much thought, that really made me happy.

And youre also right in that youre being judged on your way out the gate, and that's not fair.  The fact that you genuinely want to evolve this character, rather than keep whats been done - again, im glad to be there for the ride.  Yeah, im not on the same page with Quietly (grew into his New X-Men stuff, but yeah the Wolverine threw me off at first) and Scrier (i know ive seen him elsewhere, just wasnt fond of an overly-buff Wolvy) but youre right, its a very subjective thing, and big fan or not that doenst qualify me to call it crap.  Funny you mention Sam Keith; im still excited when trades of "Marvel Presents: Wolverine" show up...he's as far from Jim Lee as ive seen the charcter get, and it goes beautfully with the story most times, love that guy.  Ill finish "The Maxx" one day.

Everyone says theyre "a big fan" in Wizard columns, i kinda think they have to to build hype, and many times i think theyve no reason to lie, but the work sometimes says otherwise.  Your forum stuff really showed me that's not the case here, and I want you to know, for what its worth, I'm behind you, spreadin the word around my microcosm of a forum about it, lending that Wizard with like half the issue to friends and such...I cant really say Im a fan myself if i dont back quality. 

Hope to see you around your forums, and thanks for takin the time to hear fans out - no one says you gotta, and it says a lot that you do.  Take care.

See you along the trail...

- Nicholas Custer

And finally (if youve read this far), the man really shows his love here.

----- Original Message -----

To: TheIrishCowboy@hotmail.com

Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 9:41 AM

Subject: Re: PS

Thanks Nick,

At least you have thought your opinions through and care about what you're saying. Some folks on the forums clearly just want to feel high and mighty. Elllis is so smart. "Comics will hate themselves to death" is about the wisest thing I've heard all week. (I ought to create a series with that guy,... oh wait!)

At the end of the day, comics are meant to be open for intepretation. If you start formulating everything, like they tried to in the 90's, it really loses something. Sam Kieth being nothing like Jim Lee is a perferct example. You formulate, put it all "on model", and you end up with Disney.

My Logan is meant to stand out (and by the way, Wizard ran THE ENTIRE first issue, not half) as something original. People having a reaction means I am at least achieveing that.

I'm attaching a few pics to show you how, as an artist, my work has evolved and just how long I have wanted to do this book. The first pic was from when I was 13, the second is from a page from my first batch of sample pages that got me my first job at Marvel in 1991, and the latter is a sneak peek at a panel from issue #5.

When I say I'm a fan of the character, it's not hype. I have spent over half of my life thinking about this.

Best Wishes- Darick Robertson

www.darickr.com

www.transmetropolitan.com

For those still readin...

13.jpg

1991.jpg

# 5 preview.jpg

I'm an amazing cock for doubting this guy, he's the goods. I also find it funny it was so late at night that i was talkin bout Warren Ellis like he doesn't know the man...anyway, im all giddy in a fanboy-ish way, this man's so fuckin cool for keepin up with his forum and writin me back - much less sendin his art - its not even funny.

:D Thank you, thank you, happy to have someone else on board who realizes just how cool that whole conversation was.

I'm askin him shit on his forum now, he's quick to answer for a busy guy, pretty fair about shit too. Just dont jump on his ass, or he & Rucka both come down with the thunder, its a trip to see. Fair enough tho...professionalism aside, i can see an artist gettin pissy when some fanboy comes in, says "Its not Jim Lee, so its shit!" before the series has even started, hah...

Gee Nick, you already freaked out the drummer from V.A.S.T. now you wanna email stalk the wolvie artist?

Heh.

This internet shit is cool. I remember finding the forum for Alan Rodgers, a novelist I admired as a kid and finding out about his work and actually getting to praise him person to person and get a reply was very cool.

We should probably start a discusison here about whether comics really will hite themselves to death... I see the artform falling far out of the mainstream, but Never dieing.

(Hey, maybe Heartless wil get into comics then...)

We'll see, im pusin her towards Preacher for now, anyway. And yes, the age of information & the new breed of stalking it brings is indeed exciting.

Robertson's forum's been slow, looks like he's workin on the book itself, which is nothing but good. Meantime, i wanted to post the cover to # 3, as done by Esad Ribic - this guy's good.

WOLVERINE_3.jpg

• 2 months later...

I take back the first post on Robertson completely...his art's fitting Rucka's writing like a glove, and the current series is my # 1 book right now. Those of you who havent picked up #2 should do so, its impressive. No inner dialogue, gratuitous use of claws, excellent characterization...I'm more hyped on this one than the Ultimate line right now. When this arc hits trade im havin everyone nearby read it.

For more sketches, interivews & such, check out Robertson's site.

banner.gif

Robertson's studio

Yeah, so far I love this shit. Thank god somebody's doin' right by wolvie these days. And as far as Robertson goes, shit, he's quickly become one of my favorite artists. Transmet was obviously amazing stuff, and the little bit he did on Ennis' punisher just knocked my socks off. When I turned the page of that trade after robertsons stuff and saw Dillon's plain ass art, I almost cried. Dillon was great on Preacher, but in general I'm not his biggest fan now, especially on Punisher. I'm also a bit thrown off by hRobertson's huge wolvie, but other than that, the man rocks. The writing is lookin great so far too. Nothing but high hopes for this book so far.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so after one of my neighbors jacked the last sketch ( :D :D ), Robertson actually took it upon hismelf to re-do one just for me, and it came out even sharper, so it paid off...check it out! I'm a happy man, and Robertson & his people are truly great, cant recommend them enough if youre ever looking into original art.

:D

Sketch.jpg

:embarrassed: Hah, ya got me there, fucker. True, i ate my words on that'n. To be honest? It was less than forty bucks; i consider it a steal for original art, ya know? Its the beggingins of a small, private gallery, one day when i gots the mad cheddar. But thanks man!

Darick Robertson studios - the link is also on our links page. He puts up his original art there. Also, here's his Ebay store, where he puts a lot too. That's mostly original art from his books there, tho.

He's takin commissions (art for hire) right now for a short time, but it dont come cheap..let me know if ya want the details, its the only time ive seen him do it.

As for my piece..he advertised it on his board, let us know some of the pages from his sketchbook were goin on Ebay, put up pics. I grabbed mine quickly - was bidder # 2 so i couldnt "buy it now" but no one else bid...odd eh? All the bids went to the one of wolvy in the classic costume...that sucker took $150+. There were some great claw/action ones too, but i really, really dug the subtlety here, ya know?

Anyway, i know for a fact ive seen some good Fury pieces up, ill keep an eye out for ya tho man!

Wolverine # 6 preview - with Nightcrawler! - for as long as these images stay online anyway

wc.jpg

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

Drops next weds...im hyped! :D

I like that theyre playin up Wolvy's disagreement with Nightcrawler using an "image enhancer" to look human. That, and a guy on another board mentioned: is he order a 3rd beer to pour out some outta respect for Collossus, their old drinkin buddy...?

Man, # 6, as a stand alone, was an excellent issue; best baroom stuff since Preacher # 64, the Jess & Cass one; i really enjoyed this one. Even had fun with old cheezy X-storylines, and really got the the heart of Logan's character.

For other Wolvy fans, Marvel's The End series - this fun line of "the last story of" certain characters (Peter David did a Hulk one) - is doing a Wolverine: The End final story arc, with Jenkins at the helm if i understand correctly; he decided he wanted to do the first & last Wolvy stories, sounds pretty cool.

Here's Marvel's preview, few art pages, check it out.

LOGAN001cov.jpg