Hondo's Bar

Cowboy Bebop

Guest Yahve

I woke up this morning to some leftover cheesecake and good ol Cowboy Beebop on my hard drive courtesy of SpiffyTee.  Ah, this series has a badass soundtrack and character development up the wazoo. Even for bit players that will never be seen from again, they are given their chance in the limelight.  A very fun, fastpaced action anime.  Cowboy Beebop boasts one of the best musical scores I've heard of for a long time.  Weilding a wide assortment of Jazz and other generes, I can't wait to get my hands on the soundtrack...  

I have also heard that the american version aired on Cartoon Network isnt half bad at all.  I have to check this out as well.  all in all, Cowboy Beebop is defenitely among my must-see anime list.  :approve:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw the dubbed version on Cartoon Network. It airs during Adult Swim, the weekday Midnight to 2AM block for cartoons for adults. This was one of the many anime series that I've heard tons about from people that love anime, but not being very much into anime myself, never looked into. When I saw it, I was pleasantly surprised. The opening sequence is VERY well done, and the music is great. The character are great, and I'll love to be able to say something about the dubbing jobs, but two things prevent me. First, I've never seen it subbed, so I can't compare. Secondly, I have a MAJOR bias in the entire subbed/dubbed anime debate, being dyslexic and a slow reader (speed at which the Star Wars story introductions scroll back is ALMOST too fast for me). Keeping up with subbed dialogue is a major headache for me, especially in some series with particularly fast dialogue (usually the slapsticky type ones).

By the way, I also saw the Baby Blues series (based on the comic strip) on Adult Swim. I was surprised that is was on Adult Swim at first, since the comic strip is pretty tame, but the show surprised me. Lots more characters and a more cynical look at the early years of parenthood. I'm going to try to watch these two series regularly.

• 1 month later...

I bought the asian DVD version for $30. Why buy? Why not download? For these reasons:

1) Compared to the American version, it's one fifth the price. I can afford $30.

2) It's on 3 DVDs instead of 8, the less the better.

3) It has the EXACT same features, as the american version, if you get the official Asian release.

4) It's got a wicked case, I like that kinda shit.

5) DVD quality really shines through on Cowboy Bebop, since there's lots of fast pacing, and special effects shots (liek when they go through hyperspace)

6) I like watching both subbed and dubbed, since I'm a slow reader. DVD gives the flexiblity I like.

7) My experience with downloading every episode of of any series is almost always the same - There are like 10% of the episodes that take forever to find.

I also bought the Trigun set far the exact same reasons. But anyway, here's my review of the series as a whole now that I've seen it all:

Damn...that was incredible. That was incredible by any standard. It was edgy, ballsy, cool, rich, full of substance, quick-witted, etc. Even Edward (the comic relief character) got a little character developement on the 24th episode. I have this on DVD, and I'll lend it to anyone in the Miami area. Fuck this is a good series. Better than Trigun, and I loved that series. This is the kinda thing that makes me sick that the American public automatically dismisses anything animated. This should be on American prime time (after 10:00 pm, it does have drugs, blood and a brief gay sex scene). And Benny's right, the Mushroom Samba episode was hilarious.

Watch this series!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, now that Trigun's all finished up for me (Ill review it somewhere, gotta see if there's a thread already for it), im startin this one as highly recommended to do so by Yahven & Timbo.

Only one episode into it so far - (NewType: Tim's right, VHS quality matters, your subs are kinda bouncy and there's static at the top...but hey thanks again man)...

Looks like a cool series, way to early to say but I'm already downloadin the soundtrack.

Most folks here might not know it, but i secretly stash about 8 and a half gigs of anime & RPG music..mostly RPG, only anime i have is Escaflowne, Lain, Macross Plus, some Berserk, Mononoke, few others, but you guys werent overating this stuff: I dig what lil of this jazzy OST ive heard so far, and its incoming from Kazaa as we speak.

JMT's right - thats one of the coolest intros ive seen outside of a Guy Ritchie movie. I'm hopin this series stays in good form the whole way through, doesnt look too long as ive got the whole thing on 2 tapes.

finally, finally... nick watches cowboy bebop. there isn't a reason why you shouldn't have already done it! I hope you like it.

It is stylish and will touch almost every genre imaginable. for the kagillionth time everyone - one of the best i've seen. watch it and find out - do not miss this one.

The first episode is badass. The second is kinda lame, but push past it. The third episode introduces Faye Valentine, and she's a cool character, and once Ed gets introduced (epi9), it gets great. I just like the Ed character. There are lots of hits and few misses on thsi series. You'll like it very much I imagine. Much less traditional-anime comic relief then Trigun (no-one's eyes will ever get the size of dinner plates or pull a mallet out of their pocket to hit someone with.

Well...I'm done, sadly.

This one was everything i heard & more...covered all the major genres, and nailed em at that - great comedy, great drama, superb action, and yeah Im downloading the multiple soundtacks as we speak.

A tad short, but went out on a high note, Seinfeld-style....cant recommend this one enough to fans of...well, people who enjoy things that are really fucking cool, for lack of a better description.

Even those of you like Junker who dont watch much anime should do what you can to see this series...a lotta reviewers said the series' style made it a genre in itself, and I cant argue with that. One of the best series ive seen, thanks again to Spiffy, NewType, Yahven & Jax for pushin me to see this one.

Yes IC, that is exactly the same set I have. 9 episodes on the first two discs, each, and 8 on the third disc.

Couldn't agree more about all the things you said. It's spoiled me and ruined all anime I'll seen since for me. I watch anything else now and it's like "yeah it's good, but it's not Cowboy Bebop good."

ed? why does everyone like ed? i do not like ed. call me typical, but i like spike and faye. These two break the mold of typical anime characters. IC, you like the cowboy episode?

i do not like green eggs and ham, sam i am~!

just thought i shoulda put that in, cause that's what it sounded like when i was readin my post.

Hey hey, nobody's putting down Spike or Faye, or Jet for that matter. But Ed...I mena come on. Androgenous, monkey-like, super-hacker, randoming singing, chess genius, her own father forgets if she's a boy or a girl! She's just a fucking stitch! She made not break the mold as far as anime characters go, but she's got charm and is better than all those other lame goofy anime characters, even if she's not extrordinarily different.

And the cowboy episode (Jake the cowboy, was it?) was awesome.