Hondo's Bar

Video game music

The NZA

So yeah, im a fan of game music, especially RPG piano scores and such. Ive got a pretty enxtensive collection, from SNES classics to final fantasy orchestrals. So, for the sake of nostalgia, i found this pretty funny...

NES-themed band The Advantage announce U.S. tour

» Game and music geeks: Assemble!

News | Saturday, August 28, 2004 | Timothy Najmolhoda [News Editor]

Anyone craving a live performance of their favorite NES theme may be interested in The Advantage, a Sacremento-based indy rock act that plays only NES themes. The band has now released a schedule for their fall tour, which begins October 22 in Davis, California.

The Advantage differs from other game-music bands in that they make only small changes to the original melodies, adding drums and avoiding 8-bit sounding snyth. The band's debut album was released this spring on 5RC records, and includes renditions of songs from Castlevania, Mega Man II, and Wizard & Warriors.

The tour schedule is as follows:

10-22 Davis, CA - ASUCD Coffee House

10-25 Salt Lake City, UT - Kilby Court

10-26 Denver, CO - Climax Lounge

10-27 Omaha, NE - O'Leavers Pub

10-28 Ames, IA - Maintenance Shop

10-30 Milwaukee, WI - Onopa Brewing Company

10-31 Chicago, IL - Logan Square

11-01 Grand Rapids, MI - The DAAC

11-03 Cleveland, OH - The Spot

11-04 Pittsburgh, PA - The Mr. Roboto Project

11-05 Philadelphia, PA - First Unitarian

11-06 New York, NY - Knitting Factory

11-07 Brooklyn, NY - Northsix

11-08 Cambridge, MA - Middle East Upstairs

11-12 Houston, TX - Mary Jane's Fat Cat

• 7 months later...

More for Final Fantasy music fans out there:

"Dear Friends - Music from FINAL FANTASY®" tours North America!

Featuring music from Square Enix's world-renowned FINAL FANTASY video games, each concert is performed by prestigious local orchestras and choirs. The tour promises an emotionally moving and powerful musical experience to fans across the country.

Upcoming Concerts!

May 20, 2005 - Hartford, CT at The Bushnell - Local Symphony Orchestra

Click here for tickets!

June 24-25, 2005 - Atlanta, GA at Symphony Hall - Atlanta Symphony

Click here for tickets!

July 1, 2005 - Fort Worth, TX at Bass Symphony Hall - Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra

Click here for tickets!

July 14, 2005 - San Diego, CA at Embarcadero Marina Park South - San Diego Symphony

Click here for tickets!

July 23-24, 2005 - Detroit, MI at Orchestra Hall - Detroit Symphony Orchestra

Click here for tickets!

Also, don't miss "More Friends - Music from FINAL FANTASY - With Special Guests."

The addition of special guest performers including Nobuo Uematsu's own band, The Black Mages, will offer a brand-new experience to the "More Friends" audience.

May 16, 2005 - Los Angeles, CA at Universal Amphitheatre - The World Festival Symphony Orchestra

Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling 312.559.1212 or visiting www.ticketmaster.com/venue/73787

For more information please visit http://na.square-enix.com/uematsu/.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, that flash is a classic, acalis :D

I'm pretty sure that the Good Friends concert tour is over and done with, too bad it never came to my area, I would have loved to hear Uematsu's stuff live.

:D

So what're your favorite tunes? I like the song "Breezy" from FF8.

Oh man, ima dork it up right here, rasta.

Uematsu...i used to be a big fan. I think he churns out songs by the dozen for the FF series these days, which is cool seein his name get bigger, but i honestly feel theyre less fitting of the scenes in the game (im not entirely sure if thats his fault or not).

Take FF VI: a classic, no doubt, but for me, certain songs conjure up that part of the game quite vividly despite the years. Obviously opera house does, but tracks like "Coin Song", "Wanderer of Time/Terra's theme", "Mystic Forest", "Mystery Train" etc really knocked those scenes outta the park for me...mebbe it was my age, i dunno.

FF VII and on...its like, there's tracks that were made just to be played orchestral at some point, and you have to love them ("One Winged Angel", "Aeris' theme", etc), but few really fit the scenes as well for me, tho i remember "J-E-N-O-V-A" being good at the time.

VIII i loved the soundtrack way more than the game; the piano versions of "Ami", "Blue Fields", the ending, and even "Eyes on Me" i liked better than the vocals...personally, ive yet to not love a piano collection, but i love that music in general.

IX i dont remember as many songs from, that should say something. I felt X had some really great music, but again, it might be more the game's fault (i dont replay FF games these days), but its just not capturing it for me, you know?

For that sort of feeling, im a big fan of Mitsuada (sp?), of Chrono series fame, and my all-time favorite shit, Xenogears/Saga. If you havent heard the celtic take on Xenogears, "Creid", youre really missing out, i think his shit's amazing.

Yeah, I cant take from Uematsu, i just havent enjoyed his music as much as i did in years past. I used to look for stuff with his name on it, him and the guy from "Streets of Rage" when i was a wee one.

Hm...I've played Chrono Trigger and Xenosaga Ep.1, so I agree that Mitsuda is great as well, but I've been unable to find a copy of Xenogears unfortunately.

As far as more of my favorites:

From FF6, I like "Coin Song" (like you said), "Kefka's theme", "Cyan's theme", "Spinach Rag", "Johnny C. Bad", "Kids run thru the city", among others.

From FF7, good songs are "ShinRa Co.", "Holding my thoughts in my head", "Main Theme", "Descendant of the Shinobi", "The Nightmare Begins", "Interrupted by Fireworks", "Reunion", "Judgement Day", and "J-E-N-O-V-A"

FF8 songs would be "Breezy, "Ami", "Blue Fields"

I don't know if you really liked FF9 but good songs there would be "Village of Dali", "Over The Hill"(my favorite), "A Song From Her Memory", "Kuja's Theme", "Forgotten Face", "Amarant's Theme", and "Janitor of Time"

Hope that didn't bore yeh. :D

Edited by whiterasta

Yeah I loved several pieces of FF music from various games. Here are my top picks (bare with me I don't know them all by exact name, so I will use descriptions):

FF IV: The Airship Theme, The moon's core theme, and The Final Battle with Zeromus.

FF V: The cave theme, the battle with Ex-Death, and the submarine music. I was especially fond of th cave theme, I even downloaded it as an MP3.

FF VI: Kefka's Theme, the Vector theme, and Locke's themes (both when he's intro-d and during the Rachel flashbacks)

FF VII: Aeris's Theme, and who could not like Sephiroth's theme? "Se-phi-roth-oth-oth-oth!" Also Yuffie's theme was kinda catchy.

FF VIII: don't really have any particular favorites from VIII, but the train mission music was pretty catchy.

FF IX: The Airship theme. "Gwok!" ;) also the boss battle

FF X: The Luca theme is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE of all the FF musics! I was completely livid when I saw they changed it in FF X-2. Also is it me, or does the music from FF X sound very similar to the music of Secret of Mana at times?

Secret of Mana: This game has the best music throughout the entire game in my opinion.

Hah...interestin pics, im gonna have to go through my old OSTs to see if i agree.

Secret of Mana had a great soundtrack, my favorite was...dammit, i cant remember the track here at work but it was this epic piece towards the game's end.

acalis, you ever hear "Secret of Mana +"? It was interesting, it was one massive track, i think it slightly remixed some of the tunes...i know ive got it somewhere, i oughta make you a copy sometime.

PS if you never Chrono Trigger's music, i swear youre missing out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OOh best game music eh?

I love the ever loving hell out of the Ys series of games, and part of theat is their soundtracks Yuzo Koshiro, (of Streets of Rage adn Revenge of Shinobi fame), did the soundtracks for the first 2 and it has been followed up rather well in later games by Meiko Ishikawa and Falcom's JDK sound team. The Turbografix-CD versions are especially impressive as they were arranged by Ryo Yonemitsu (record of Lodoss war) and their recent PC remake of YS 3 does that game's soundtrack justice.

Gotta agree with Cowboy on Mitsuda though, probably my current favorite composer, Chrono Trigger and Cross, along with Xenogears are just friggen incredible.

Surprised though that no one has mentioned Lunar though, Lunar 2 especially has one of the most amazing soundtracks of all time, with very complex pieces that for the time especially just blew most other soundtracks out of the water.

-George