Hondo's Bar

100 Bullets

The NZA

100Bulletsbackground4.jpg

This crime fiction from Vertigo, by Azzarello (Hellblazer, Hulk) and Risso, is winning Eisners left & right, and i wish it was getting even more attention...

What starts off as a series of gritty, well-written crime stories quickly turns into a massive conspiracy, whose plot reaches back to the origins of America itself. Already 50 issues in, this one's gone beyond great noir & charaterization, to showing a scope unseen in books this enjoyable.

This site has an excellent plot summary (tho spoiler-ridden, so read with care) to learn more/catch up on the series, which i cant encourage enough, especially for fans of Sin City, Gotham Central, or quality Vertigo titles in general. To lift the premise from them:

The basic plot behind DC/Vertigo's 100 Bullets is that a few chosen people are given an attaché case with a gun, one hundred rounds of untraceable ammunition and irrefutable evidence about the person who made the recipient's life miserable. The person being given the briefcase is also informed that no law enforcement agency can touch him/her if he/she uses the bullets to act on the information provided. It sounds like a good idea for a few single issue stories, right? But what Azzarello does with this series is amazing. The series,  which started back in 1999, is stunningly brilliant and is filled with sex, violence and intensely detailed writing. Azzarello manages to wind in storylines that go on for dozens of issues at a time. He may introduce a character in the background of a panel in one issue and then surprise the reader by making him the star of a storyline 20 issues later. Or he may introduce a character in one storyline and he pops up in a supporting role in another story a year later, showing how all of these seemingly unrelated events may be more intertwined than imagined. Nothing that you see in an issue of 100 Bullets should be taken for granted because you never know what significance it may carry.

Add to that the brilliant art by Eduardo Risso, who has the uncanny talent to humanize his work by making no two people look the same. There are ethnic features abundant in all of his characters and combined with the ultra-realistic language and dialogue, it makes for an incredible book. Muted colors and toned down backgrounds give the book and pulpy, gritty feel. And when a comic takes place across the country in locales like Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia, El Paso and Atlantic City -- and even goes so far as to take place in Paris - the reader should expect to be pleased with Risso's detailed landscapes bringing the cities themselves to life. And as the cherry on top, each issue has a beautiful cover done by Dave Johnson, who manages to give the book a great look on newsstands that on its own almost equals the quality of the inside work.

3650_main.jpg

That thread is fun, but you shouldnt get me all excited with 2 replies, non-topic related. :D

Look, ive read all of Sin City, even the side specials (ok, didnt finish the latest one, the one in color yet), and its good stuff, no dobut, especially given the lack of noir in comics. Youve got that, and uh, Stray Bullets i think.

But where Sin City is a series of gritty tales, connected only by themes (the city, crooked cops, prostitutes are saints, etc), 100 Bullets takes some of this stuff and throws it into a modern-day society, then ties all their tales together with a plot that, again, reaches into America's founding fathers...i wasnt sold on the first trade, honestly, but the further in ive read, the more ive fell for this great series. Cant wait to see how it goes down.

Until i get the trades, or put the scans to a disc, i know most people (outside of Junker) wont really read this one, but mark my words: if this one gets a movie deal like theyre takling, and it goes down half as good as Sin City's flick is looking to, you'll be all over this one.

• 2 months later...

If you can, yeah...like i said, trade 1's a mixed bag. By about the 2nd arc, you see things really coming together. Id say if you dont take to it by then, its safe to toss aside, but i honestly regret passing it up years ago based on just TPB 1, m'self.

• 2 weeks later...

Got TPB number 2 about a week ago and have to say I'm definitely more into this series now. I also think #1 is improved significantly after reading #2 because you start to spot more clues of what the big picture is.

Will keep reading this series albeit fairly slowly. Before trade numero three, need to pick up the 2nd book of Walking Dead, the first gets better every time I read it. Great stuff.

• 2 months later...

I'm glad to see another fan, MLB. I imagine this serise - like Sandman, Preacher, and other Veritgo greats- will gain more of the attention it deserves when Wizard hypes its final arc, which might not be too far off...

#60 (current issue) has some major players - as well as new ones - rendevous'ing (sp like hell) in Miami, and the events of "Wylie runs the voodoo down" left one of the book's biggest charactes taken out, so i'm interested to see where it's going.

Side-stories aside, i dont know how much is left overall...some've said Azarello might go to #100 for the title's sake, id be surprised to see that. Not for a lack of story to tell, it just seems like things are building quickly...

• 4 months later...

So I'm completely up to date on the title, have re-read it a few times in an attempt to figure out exactly is on the cards. I've a few ideas but no real insight. I can't find it in this thread, but I believe it was Nick that didn't get the Samurai arc. I'm trynna piece it all together as we speak.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Edited by Skeeter

• 1 month later...

I keep picking up the occasional trade of this. Almost caught up now. Think they are on about issue #66 of 100.

Anyway, just wanted to bump the topic see if it catches anyones eye as I think it's just brilliant and deserves attention.

What I really want to see is if Milo, the bandaged private dick, comes back after his run-in with Lono.

And Dizzy. What's in store for her?

Man...everyone wants to see Milo come back, but im just not betting on it...that was brutal.

I didnt see Shepherd comin...anyway, yeah, i love this book, though im happy that as of this month's issue, the plot seemed to be moving forward again (that miami side-stuff was dragging a bit, for me).

also...

Think they are on about issue #66 of 100.

I just got #65, think its current...you sure theyre going to 100 tho?

I just got #65, think its current...you sure theyre going to 100 tho?

That's what I've heard both from an official website and my local comic shop worker.

As for the trades, I've bought up to issue 42, so got a long way to go. Just read the six short stories for different characters, e.g. Dizzy goes home, Benito gets his initiation, etc.

And while I feel like pretty much got a good idea of Lono, Cole Burns, even Graves at the moment, feel like Shephard is gonna throw me a curveball anytime now.

• 5 months later...

Sweet titty-fucking son-of-a-bastard-christ. I officially love Wikipedia. Not only did it inform me of Spideyman's goings-on without me getting knee-deep in shite, but they've a map of 100 Bullets more comprehensive than anything I could begin to chronicle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chara..._in_100_Bullets

P.S- Don't read it unless you wan everything spoiled for ya. It's that comprehensive.

holy shit, good find Skeet - that just made my read a whole lot easier here. I stand by this being the most you-gotta-read-it-in-trade book out right now, but even then i cant keep up with alla names, this is awesome.

And yeah, Lono's tattoo idea was brilliant. I just got # 71 i think it was, cant wait to read it.

• 2 weeks later...

After going through that link & having gone back through & read every single ish bar the last 12 that aren't in trade(Strychnine Lives ain't out here yet & I've still gotta unpack my comics), I've a fair idea of what's coming & who's gonna be holding the proverbial smoking gun. If I'm right I can't wait. If I'm not, then Azzarello's a fucking genius.

• 1 month later...

So i was in my local the other day, & with lack of funds I've been a little lax with my comic-keeping-up. Nonetheless, i asked the portly shopkeep' Am I the only one who hasn't seen an ish oif 100 Bullets the last couple've months?'to which he replied

'Nah, we don't bother getting it these days 'cause everyone's leaving it to trade.'

Hurm. Buy 100 Bullets. Buy a few copies. Buy one for you & one for your Gramma. If you don't, and the one book I give a toss about gets cancelled, or I have to wait eight months to get some weird serialised trade, my life goes to shit which means I'ma become the Adolf Hitler of these boards, chasing kids off left, right & centre.

don is unhappy.

Skeet - its not gettin canned, the book does good overall (by vertigo standarsd), and didnt it win an Eisner? But yeah, your odd shopkeep aside (why cant he order copies just for you? most places here'll do that), you gotta admit, i havent seen a book that works this welll in TPB in a long time....i get lost month to month with the big-ass cast. This is one of those that im gonna really enjoy re-reading all together when its done, cause if it wasnt for your Wiki link, id still be guessing at parts.

you guys actually think there's real concern for this title's cancellation? cmon, its up to what issue now, and only 100 total, right?

I cant recall a time Vertigo pulled the plug on any of their noteworthy books, and this one gets recognition - fuck, there's a game comin out, isnt there?

Remember, Preacher didnt even get mainstream attetion in shit like Wizard tll its final arc.