Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

The NZA

thewalkingdead1_cov.jpg

This is my personal favorite out of Image right now, even with Rising Stars back on track....sure, b-rated zombie tales are all over cinema, and even video games, but comics havent seen them as much since pulp, much less the survival part of the tale, something Kirkman is shining for in this great series.

Id like to prattle on & on bout this one, but last time this thread existed, Image's taglines and artwork hyped it much better, and got Junkerseed to read the series, so here's s'more of that:

by (W) Robert Kirkman and (A) Tony Moore

How many hours are in a day when you don¹t spend half of them watching television? When is that last time any of us REALLY worked to get something that we wanted? How long has it been since any of us really NEEDED something that we WANTED? The world we knew is gone. The world of commerce and frivolous necessity has been replaced by a world of survival and responsibility. An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months society has crumbled, no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start to live.

From issue # 1:

thewalkingdead1_p1.jpg

thewalkingdead1_p2.jpg

thewalkingdead1_p3.jpg

thewalkingdead1_p4.jpg

thewalkingdead1_p5.jpg

If you dig zombies, good plot & action, survival tales, post-apocalyptic stuff, any of it, you owe it to yourself to check out this fine series; im gonna try to grab the trades, which are over at Amazon for $9 each (2nd one, "Miles Behind Us" is due out soon).

1582404135.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• 1 month later...

Oh my god!! This book has balls of steel.

Unlike 100 Bullets, where the first TPB left me slightly cold, absolutely ate this up.

The characters are brilliant, the typical assortment you'd expect to find after the zombies have wiped out most of the human race, but still nicely thought out.

Really enjoyed reading the author's intro where he says the book is not about scaring the reader, but is more about the survival of the lead characters. The reader won't be left with "And what happened next?", but rather we'll be shown.

I love it, can't wait to get some money together to get TPB #2.

Who knows what other secrets the characters will be hiding??

MLB - glad ya liked it. :D I believe TPB 2 just came out...junker loves it too, but complains about the change of artist. The other guy's not bad, but that first artist was pretty damn impressive.

Jont - Nah, handt heard it was adopted to comic....Landsdale, doesnt he write westerns too? Think ive seen his name on Jonah Hex or somethin...anyway, lemme know how that series goes too, itd be cool to read more horror books that werent by Steven Niles.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this about a week ago and read it cover to cover like really quickly. Just lent it out now, but when I get it back I'll definitely go through it a second time.

WOWWWW! This is great!! The fact the afterword is written by Simon Pegg says it all.

My initial reaction to the artwork in number 2 was negative at first, at least relative to the amazing art in the first. However, I really liked it by the end and thought it suited the slightly darker feel of the story better than the initial art would've.

The story is just brilliant. Highlights have to be the snow falling off the DO NOT ENTER. ALL DEAD. sign and the zombies in the barn. So creepy and so much more realistic character reactions to the surroundings and chaos. I love all the characters secrets and politics within the group, adds a lot of tension.

Can't wait for the third now. The second ended at a cool point, leaving it so you REALLY want to know what happens next.

IC, dude, I really have to thank you for this one. I handed it over to my Boston comic geek friend and he agrees it is one of the best comics out at the moment. Can't say enough good stuff about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, my pleasure....its a damn shame this one hasnt broken mainstream yet; any zombie/survival movie fan would love it.

If you kids are waitin on the trades, the next one should be fuckin brilliant, cause the last 2 issues were quality shit. Giving off this "calm before the storm" feeling, Kirkman again introduces a safehouse like one you wouldntve imagined, with yet a whole new cast, and youre just there waiting for the rug to be pulled out again.

walk_dead015.jpg

If youre still buying monthlies, # 14 was damn good, but this month's issue 15 was among the best the series has seen - picks up right from the mean cliffhanger of 14, and its by far one of the darkest issues, building character while revealing more about the plot than before. This one can't be missed.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, I just had to post in this thread!!! This is my favorite book out right now!! Hands down!! Kirkman is the MAN!!! Nick put me on to this while back so I bought the first trade! I didn't read it till about a month later and man was I pissed that I waited!! Since then I've gone back and bought all the single issues, except for #'s 1, 2, 4, 5! That book also got me to go back and buy all the Romero zombie flicks and read "The Zombie Survival Guide"!! I dream of zombies now (just ask Sarah)!!

4 out of 5 Aussie mountain hillbillies prefer this book over vegemite, and Iggy Pop. Glad ya like it man...i swear, it really gets its stride in the mid-teen issues or so. Again, 15 was amazing, and even when you think its losing heat, its just building.

'Kay, I'm pretty sure trade 3 is up to #18, which I'm pretty sure puts me up to date. Don't mean to sound like a sappy fuck, but this book has honestly put me thru an emotional roller-coaster. It's gonna break the 'stream in no time. Thanx again for the recomendation Nick, this is definitely the best book I've read since Preacher.

The hunt for all missing back issues (yes issues... I'm not a pirating whore like some people) is nearly complete! Issue #3 is in the bag... now all I need is a #4 and I'll be done! Anybody, who might have one... please send to 124 Thompson St. Salem, NJ 08079! Your donation will be greatly appreciated!!

• 2 weeks later...

Heads-up to Kirkman fans:

Official Press Release

Los Angeles, C.A. - July 21st, 2004 - Comic Book Resources (http://www.comicbookresources.com), a leading comic book news and resource Web site, is proud to announce a new weekly column from writer Robert Kirkman ("Marvel Team Up," "The Walking Dead," "Invincible") called BUY MY BOOKS.  A rising start within the comics industry, the column will be an unusual one, as you can tell from the title.  Kirkman explained.

"Aside from trying to coerce people into buying my various books I want to give readers an insight into what my week is like, and give them a preview of things almost as I see them," Kirkman explained.  "I work on no less than three books a month right now and usually more, my days are filled with what I like to call 'jpeg heaven.'  Aside from what I plan to be a large preview art show, I'll also be discussing the ins and outs of producing a comic from the ground up, and griping about whatever I feel like griping about from week to week.  Some weeks, I'll even talk a little about OTHER people's books.  I'm always getting cool stuff to show and so this will be a way to share my enjoyment of the comic making process with my readers-- and other people who I'll try

to convince to 'Buy My Books.'"

As any comic creator who has written a column knows it can open you up to intense scrutiny from comics fandom, but that doesn't phase Kirkman who likes the idea of having a place where people can read some ramblings from him each week.  "I want to do something more focused than a blog and I really enjoy taking on too much work so I feel the deadline pressure and it forces me to do more work.  And aside from that it sounds like it'll be fun," said Kirkman.

Excited is the best word to describe CBR Executive Producer Jonah Weiland's reaction when Kirkman accepted his invitation to write for Comic Book Resources.

"I've known Robert for a couple of years now and have watched him take the comics industry by storm," said Weiland.  "He's without a doubt one of the critical rising stars in the comics industry with a loyal and growing fan base.  If you've ever had the chance to meet him at a comics show you know he's one of the most genuine and thoughtful creators in the industry.  Getting the chance to work with a creator of Robert's caliber is a real plus."

Readers can find Robert Kirkman's BUY MY BOOKS every Wednesday beginning August 10th exclusively at Comic Book Resources.

Let's make a deal Nick(If only i weren't fuckin' with Admin). You're only allowed to post big long thingies like that anymore if you provide three or four words at the bottom giving us the WHOLE idea of the big long thingy without us lazy slack sick bastards felling like we're lazy & missing out on ANYTHING as a result.

Sincerely yours in erection & spirit,

Mr. T. Jay Rowe.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus christ goddamn... Issue 15 filled me with a sense of overwhelming... dread that only the very best horror stories have made me feel. It was sort of a "Why am I reading this? This is fucking horrible... it doesn't make me feel good... why am I reading if the book fills me with this terrible feeling?" And that is why it's called "horror." The horror genre is the most perplexing thing ever because if done right it's the most unpleasent thing in the world to experience.

And holy crap is this book done right!

• 5 weeks later...

Couldnt agree more.

I definitely wanna see this book supported more, but to at least get it out there & have more folks read it...

The complete series - #'s 1-20 - are now available on bittorrent right here.

Get it quick if you can, there' s a lotta seeders right now.

• 2 months later...

Trade Paperback # 4 out in about a week. I am so psyched.

Heard there is all sorts of incidents that changes the relationships between characters.

The ending of the 3rd trade with the line "Get out of my house" (or something similar) has left the whole thing on a great cliff-hanger.

While I love 100 Bullets and Battle Royale, this is my true fave at the moment and get the feeling it's barely started.

How about it IC, assuming you've been buying the issues, will I be disappointed?

Not at all. Theyre looking at a new facility by then, seems pretty ideal...but you know how these things go. The cast almost doubles when they get there, and then inevitably thins out again....youve gotta see it.

Some of the best moments, i think, happen around then. You wont be let down, m'friend.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so yeah, $63's still the best price i can find it for, im gonna check with WhoDey's bookstore when he gets back in town...its really worth it. Im down to lend it to Miami folk to spread the series more when i got it, there's a lotta people i think would really dig this book.

• 3 weeks later...