Hondo's Bar

Marvel Zombies

The NZA

marvelzombieswall.jpg

Kirkman, the genius behind The Wallking Dead and Invincible is a few issues into one of Marvel's most fun and vicous books out, Marvel Zombies. What started as a "crossover" of the Ultimate & regular/616 Marvel U, courtesy of Millar over in Ultimate Fantastic Four, turned into an alternate timeline where a virus came down from the skies, infecting the Marvel super heroes with "the hunger", a zombie-like desire for flesh that only leaves them clear-minded for brief moments after consumption. They promptly destory much of the known world, and hunt in packs for the few remaining humans, of which Magneto is the resistance leader.

While funny at points (seeing the heroes trade jabs is always fun), this book is dark and borders on horrific here & there, with no clear heroes to root for in sight, especially when you realize what the "heroes" did to their loved ones first. Anyway, 2 issues in, the and book is showing an interesting direction, here's to hoping others are enjoying it, too.

MARZOM005_cov.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,00 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation ot untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

Yeah, i commented on that over in Spider-Man: The Other - its a temp, just movin the story along for Civli War is my best guess.

haha...youre an interestin fanboy, Baytor. You enjoyed Secret War, House of M, etc - events Bendis has been tying together & building towards some culmination, the only spotty part (for me) having been Avengers Dissasembled. But the "What if?" mini's botherin you? Really? Cause this is basically a self-contained mini since Kirkman is kicking so much ass on The Walking Dead, and Joe Q prolly just wanted to let him have fun with Marvel heroes as zombies.

But its still a What if?, or Elseworlds if you prefer DC. Continuity wont be affected, no talent that'dve been on other Marvel books is being siphoned off - think of it like, you may not be down for a series about Ultimate Hulk ripping Wolverine in half and hunting each other, but the writer from Lost wanted to give it a go, so why not? Not like he'd be writing some other book he didnt care to.

Honestly, its good a lotta the alternate timeline stuff stays outside continuity, but once in a while, you get greats like Superman: Red Son, or fun books like this one.

If it makes you feel better, Bendis isnt on this or Civil War. But said arc will be in the "regular"/616 universe, so all that stuff'll have bearing.

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,00 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation ot untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

...I'm really at a loss here. Again, if you didnt enjoy those crossovers, that's a shame, but i guess it wasnt for everyone. HoM tried to fuck with Marvel's mutant status quo, and doing things like giving :wolvy: back his memory, i thought was pretty exciting. Civil War sounds awesome, to me.

Here, you have a excellent horror writer - whom im not certain youve read his works - who was allowed to do a mini about Marvel chearacters in a setting he's good at. Its like if Ennis was givien a mini for war or religion; it'd prolly be awesome to see. I can see if youre not entirely interested - again, a shame, cause Kirkman's one of my favorite writers right now - but crapping on Marvel for letting the guy have some fun after paying dues on other books for then like 2099, Marvel Team-Up etc? Its just odd.

Ditto I actually just ran into it yesterday(issue 2 that is, I've been out of it for a whaile) and I picked it up and thought wow, this is a great "What IF" concept, I had know idea it was a spin off of ultimate fantastic four. Anyway I thought is was interesting and what the hell is all this talk about a civil war? Why can't I Tivo comics?

Anyway I have never been a fan of the "What-If series" with the exception of the one where The Punisher got the venom symbiote, they always seem like they were come up with on a drunken saturday night, like, "Hey guys... hey, I got the most bitchin idea, what if we do a Marvel universe... only... only we make them zombies." "Yeah... yeah that would be sweet! Pass me the Quervo."

What's wrong with that? Isn't that kinda the point? You've already got ridiculous ideas like a guy who can stick to walls and a man with metal claws that come out of his hands. What's wrong with occasionally going all-out and having fun with them? It's not Macbeth, it's Spider-man for godsakes.

Ditto I actually just ran into it yesterday(issue 2 that is, I've been out of it for a whaile) and I picked it up and thought wow, this is a great "What IF" concept, I had know idea it was a spin off of ultimate fantastic four. Anyway I thought is was interesting and what the hell is all this talk about a civil war? Why can't I Tivo comics?

Oh, Civil War's the next big event Marvel's gearing up for, more on it here.

ps you cant tivo them, but, well.... :yup:

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,00 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation or untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nostop fun laughter!  After 5,00 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation or untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

So you've got a guy dressed as a flag, a Norse God with six mighty thunder udders, a realy gay looking dude with angel wings, and the symbol of a condom on his chest, a teenager who got bit by a radioactive spider and didn't die of the big C and some other shit that I can't even begin to explain, and you think it's ridiculous that they're zombies?

So you've got a guy dressed as a flag, a Norse God with six mighty thunder udders, a realy gay looking dude with angel wings, and the symbol of a condom on his chest, a teenager who got bit by a radioactive spider and didn't die of the big C and some other shit that I can't even begin to explain, and you think it's ridiculous that they're zombies?

Jont has a good point. All comics to a certain point are in fact ridiculous no matter how good the storys are. My way of thinking is enjoy it for what it is. I for one like it when they try new stuff. If not then things start getting stale.

• 2 weeks later...

check out the cover for the reprinting of # 1!

MARZOM001_2ndprintNEW.jpg

MARVEL ZOMBIES #1 GETS SECOND PRINTING

Press Release

Everybody loves zombies and to prove it, Marvel Zombies #1 has sold out at Diamond and a second printing with an all-new cover is on its way.

The team of Ten Terrific writer Robert Kirkman and artist Sean Phillips have received nothing short of glowing reviews for their offbeat and bloody take on a world where nearly all of humanity has been wiped out by infected Marvel zombies.

“Marvel Zombies scores a definite win… just pick it up and enjoy the carnage,” says Jason Schachat of FanboyPlanet.com.

“A fun spin around the graveyard in mighty Marvel fashion,” says Troy Brownfield of Newsarama.com.

The runaway success of Marvel Zombies has really charged Kirkman, who has also recently taken over writing duties for Ultimate X-Men, where it appears the return of Ultimate Phoenix might not be too far off.

“I couldn't be more thrilled to hear about the success from this series,” says writer Robert Kirkman. “I think one thing to take note of with this book is that Marvel has gone above and beyond to allow me to do WHATEVER I WANT with this series. I'm actually pretty amazed with how far they've let me and artist Sean Phillips go and the risks they've taken in doing so. The amount of creative freedom I've been given with this project has only been exactly the same as what I've been given on my creator-owned books. I'd just like to thank Marvel for letting us run wild and thank the readers for checking out this insane experiment.”

If you thought the first issue was gory, just wait until the Silver Surfer takes on the very undead former heroes in Marvel Zombies #3, on sale February 8th. It’s sure to have you screaming, “Make mine brains!”

• 1 month later...

Heh. I love alternate reality stuff, but unless this book has Mr Fantastic's rotted zombie pecker falling off in Invisible woman's arse, or something similarly horrible for shock value, i can't see the function or appeal of this. The Ultimate arc was fuckin' awesome, but now it's been done, & I'd hate to see this devalue the goings-on in the Ultimate U.

P.S- Robert Kirkman writes characters. What "horror" has he penned aside from Walking Dead (which by the way I stopped reading 'cause it's been what? 4 issues & there's nothing going on that I couldn't watch on Neighbors)? I'd describe that as more a character book. Hell, he said it himself in his intro, his book is less a horror than a genuine assesment of the human condition in such an environment. His own Big Brother. Is he going to have the Atomic Knights(are they still a part of continuity?) locked in a basement canabalising eachother apologising & whining about who slept with who & who's going crazy or who's morally reprehensible & whether or not it's right to kill? If not, I just don't see what he can do. I think this might just be one I download.

Archived