Hondo's Bar

Toy Box Blargh!

The Toy Box

Blatently stolen from an idea on a TV show on VH-1 "I Love Toys", the idea of this thread is for members to post your thoughts, funny stories, comments, pics, etc on voting for the top toys of all time! From Lego to Mr. Potato Head to Barbie and Candy Land.

I'll start off with 3 that I loved as a kid, and still have kickin around the basment, dormant in a box somewhere.

1.) Atari 2600-

atari_2600.jpg

Video games were once again selling phenomenally in 1987. Atari released several new titles, including Jr. Pac-Man, and also licensed a number of games from other companies such as Donkey Kong and Q*Bert. These new titles sold for $10-$15. Interestingly, a number of titles began appearing again from third party companies such as Epyx, Froggo, and Exus. It seemed that the 2600 was not dead yet! In 1988, Atari rehired Nolan Bushnell and announced a number of new titles, including Secret Quest, a game written by Steve DeFrisco but sold under Nolan's name in the hope of increasing sales. Atari continued to manufacture these games until 1989. However, it was apparent that the 2600, a decade after its introduction, was finally at the end of its run. Although it was still produced and marketed outside of the US, the Atari 2600 finished its run in America. No other console has had such a long history or sold as many systems in the U.S.

I had about 85 games on this beast. I loved Vanguard, The Sword Quest series and my favorite, Pitfall for so many reasons.

pitfall_screenshot.gif

2.) Star Wars Action Figures

sw_all.jpg

About 400 of these figs made it into the Casa de maniac in his childhhod and continues today... From wookies to Wicket, hell I even have the Original Empire Darth Vader, rated mind you in the Original 1980 packaging unopended by Kenner. I found him at a flea market if you can believe that. He's worth about 200 bucks to a collector and I paid 10 bucks for him to a guy cleaning out his kids junk that pushed off to college. Lucky me cause, he's worth every penny.

mocESB21backSF.JPG

3.) Old skool -Transformers -

toysTFG1top.jpg

The last I checked Optimus Prime had some Dinobots and they totally took him down but didn't finish him off like Megatron told them too. Since then, I really haven't kept up with the Transformer universe, but believe it or not someone has put together a 68 page history on their website. Jeez, there really is more than than meets the eye...

My fave was of course, Optimus Prime, he was the Original Gangsta "O.G." and the :misty: of the bunch IMO. He's long gone now, but not forgotten... dammit I Loved that toy. :pinch:

primes.jpg

Edited by MusicManiac

Jem: she was taller than Barbie, fresh in a way Barbie hadn't been in twenty years, she had flexible joints, and those awesome flashing earrings.

And the corn popper. They still sell those things. ITs a dome, with colored balls inside of it and when you push it around there's a little button inside that makes the little balls pop up and down against the dome. I loved mine and played with it until out of sheer annoyance, my mother trashed it. And I bought one for my neice who played with it until my sister did the same.

Jem: she was taller than Barbie, fresh in a way Barbie hadn't been in twenty years, she had flexible joints, and those awesome flashing earrings.

And the corn popper. They still sell those things. ITs a dome, with colored balls inside of it and when you push it around there's a little button inside that makes the little balls pop up and down against the dome. I loved mine and played with it until out of sheer annoyance, my mother trashed it. And I bought one for my neice who played with it until my sister did the same.

g-popper.jpg

... that thing is responsible for hundreds of child beatings across the known world.

When I was a kid, we were poor, so I mostly played with an old sock. That thing was my best fucking friend until he was taken by mildew. Fred was with me for Boris' Breakfast club, he helped me bring home my first pet(a dead bat also named Fred(I've never been very imaginative)), and he'd keep me company during my stints locked in the cupboard in that brief period my mother looked at alternatives to beating the shit out've me.

oh, that ol' thing...? :)

that's the statue from Vertigo, think this guy William Paquet, design was Fabry...retails for like $150 but when it shows on Ebay you can get it for like half that sometimes. The Transmet one is awesome, too.

Skeet - you too?

i did. no lie, i wore them around college, even gave tickets in them when i worked for FIU parking, that weekend i worked a fire station in Naples and wore them as well, Lt didnt care for them, turned out. Anyway, they give you headaches, cause theyre just props and youre not supposed to do that, i think. But they got scrathed up, so i sold them on Ebay and paid rent one month...but yeah, they dont come cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

50-200 bucks, depends on its shape, and if all the pieces are with em. The pic above is not mine. Mine is in a box, in the cellar prolly busted, he DID work, but he is probably so dusty its crazy, amongst the long losts of my childhood.

There's a battalion of Star Wars figures down there too, that need some love.

Edited by MusicManiac