Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Gaming Journal

bishopcruz

Well, figured that I would start this up, kinda like the one we have in the Fantastic Forum.

This thread is pretty self explanitory, just post on what you have been playing this week, what's cool about it, what sucks about it, etc. New shit, retro shit, whatever. Let us know.

I'll start things off with what I have been playing this week.

1. Dead Rising by Capcom (Xbox 360) - This game is absofuckinglutely awesome, killing Zombies has never been more fun. You can check my thread on this one for more details, but as I have said before, if you don't get a kick out of slicing zombies to bits with a Katana, or smashing them with a Sledgehammer, you have no soul. And are a fucking cunt.

2. System Shock 2 by Looking Glass/Electronic Arts (PC) - A game I never beat and meant to. This game is possibly the most atmospheric FPS ever made for the PC, though calling it an FPS isn't really fair as it has a lot of RPG elements. You are a Marine/Navy Tech/Psi-black ops operative (you pick) who has been assigned to the first faster than light starship the Von Braun. You wake up out of Cryo, and due to a malfunction, you have lost all of your memories since boarding. Something has gone horribly wrong.

This game has a great storyline, with multiple ways to create your character as well as multiple ways to get through the game make for a several year old game that has aged surprisingly well. The feeling of dread you have navigating the dead hallways of the Von Braun, is truly something else. This game is friggen scary, and I love every minute of it. If you're gonna play, download some of the graphical updates, they are worth it.

3. Suikoden I by Konami (PS1) played the first few hours of this game again and am remembering just why I loved it so damn much. Unlike so many JRPGs this game moves along at a pretty damn swift pace. It's nice to play a console RPG that doesn't artificially ectend its length with pointless side quests and other bullshit (Xenosaga II I'm looking at you). Great music and an even better storyline make this one of the best RPGs of all time. If you haven't played it, DO so. Also, more RPGs need to use its leveling system, one of hte best XP systems in an RPG with tons of characters.

4. Earthbound by Nintendo (SNES on an emulator) haven't played this one in a while so I thought I would fire it up and see how well it has aged, and to finally beat the SOB (I last played it years ago on a rental). In some ways it has aged very well, especially in its quirky humor and timeless graphics. Gameplay though is damn near archaic, even for its time. No RPG made after the era of 2 button controllers should have to pull up a menu just to talk to someone. MAN that is fucking annoying. The game is pretty brutal too. You stem a tiny bit out of line, and it will fuck your shit up. Like bieng jumped by 2 skateboard punks who so like 1/3 of your life with each hit. Still cool though.

So as you can see I've been on a bit of a retro kick this week. Pretty damn sweet games all around though. Not sure if I will play all of them to completion (beat dead rising, on my second playthrough now and still loving it.)

So what have the rest of you been playing?

Cool idea.

B0007OGDIC.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64699412_.jpg

Indigo Prophecy - Full review forthcoming; plot so good, it makes me look past hard/annoying controls.

Gun - Yeah, this is what Red Dead Revolver's one player mode shoulda been.

B000B0RWWS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64255717_.jpg

24 - Its good, they spent like 10x more time on Bauer's face than otehrs, but hearing the voices alone is cool shit. Its a mesh of mediocre engines wrapped around characters you actually care about, if youre a fan of the show.

B0009R1TGS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64798306_.jpg

The Suffering: Ties that Bind - only got like 10 minutes in..it looks cool, just prolly gonna put it on hold wiht Echo Night till i get further in Fatal Frame 2.

Psychonauts, The Punisher, Shin Megami Tensei, Berserk, so many fuckin games.

ps Bish - try hitting either R or L in Earthbound, saves you time if i recall correctly.

Good thread!

MeltyBlood Act Cadenza - Well, its nearly the same game i have on my PC, but its got some new characters and it feels a tad more balanced. Warms my heart to see 2D fighters still coming out.

The Rumble Fish - Its ok...just has like 12 people and thats it, but at least its got some interesting ideas for super moves and such. Its got some nice character designs. Menus are pretty. Trying get the combo system down.

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - OK...i have the import and it was not that great...I just got the US version and im hoping its a tad better...plus i can finally understand whats going on.

I play on Bishop's XBox 360 when he's not looking so it's usually Perfect Dark Zero on XBox Live for me, at least until the next decent FPS comes out for it.

I'm taking a break from Oblivion since my game bugged out and I had to reset two saves and three hours back, and that's all I can get away with at Bishop and Gunsmith's place.

They keep threatening to start charging me rent.

THe Suffering - WHile nick was doing something on the comp, I managed to steal the controller and play the first couple of minutes of this game. First I was some dude escaping prison next thing I know I'm some sort of DEMON slashing away with my arms! I think I'll continue to play this.

24 - Probably start to play this one this weekend. Last time I played it I OWNED! Now that I know who the characters are I'm sure I'll enjoy a lot more. I like games with first person shooter elements. This should be good.

Games I probably should finish at some point or another...

Kingdom Hearts II - I think I'm at the Little Mermaid stage which SUCKS!!! Gahhh How gay is that!!! I mean when I was a kid I LOVED AREIL! But crap, that part is so boring! And teh SONG, I CAN"T TAKE IT!!!! Eventually I'll get back into the game, I have to find out what's up with Roxas!

Resident Evil 4 - I should restart this one the RIGHT way. Shuddap Nick. :blink:

Well, tried some new stuff and kept with some of the older ones too.

Suikoden - Beat it this week. Not that it is a long game, though as I replay it, I realize that it ends up being better than it should be. This was a great game in spite of some annoying backtracking and completely dropped story threads (The fact that the Warrior's Village had no plot shit for Flik was some BULLSHIT). Still the game just has my heart, I think that its the fact that it tells its story so well, and well the music doesn't hurt.

Earthbound - Still trudging through this one. The inventory system is driving me BATTY, and this game was a lot harder to remember. Not to mention, christ the characters who join you join up at LVL 1? Come on! That blows donkey balls. I hated it when Phantasy Star did it and this game is a few years after that. Still the writing is fun, and the game has a lot of wacky charm. I'm at the Zombie town right now. Who knows, maybe I'll actually beat the game this time.

Texas Hold'Em Microsoft - XBLA - Hey it was free, not sure it would be worth $10, but it is poker-y goodness against live opponents. Not much else to say, I mean it's Texas Hold'Em.

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology - Capcom PS2 - Capcom at its fighting finest, it's fun to go back to these, Alpha 2 in particular was by favorite in the series. Great fighting engine, and a great cast make these possibly my favorite Capcom fighters (Street Fighter 3 and Capcom vs SNK 2 are also in the running)

Lumines Ubisoft PSP - Best puzzle game I have played in Ages, I can let it go for months, and then get the call to pick this bastard up again, addictive as hell. I can't wait for it to come to XBLA, and for those of you who are PSP impaired, there is a PS2 version coming soon too.

Just Cause (Demo) - Xbox 360 - This game is a hell of a lot of fun at least in the demo. It has the GTA open world feel mixed with craploads of crazy stunts you can pull. My favorite so far? Leaping out of a burning helicopter as it gets shot out of the sky, pulling my parachute, then leaping on to another helicopter, in order to commandeer it. That was friggen sweet. This game could be a winner.

Zelda: A link to the Past Still on a Retro kick, so booted this one up again. I have to respect the animation and level design in this game. It always was my favorite Zelda, and playing it again reminded me why. Lots to do, tons to explore, and a fun combat engine make this a winner. Of course, that's pretty obvious as everyone on the planet loves this game.

Now if only I can get Cowboy to lend me Suikoden II.

This week... hmm

Command And Conquer, Red alert 2... A Very good game, but it doesnt live up to the originals i think, and the graphics are very sim city esque.... otherwise, a decent play and i love the skirmish....

Command And Conquer Generals: Zero Hour... This is visually great, and the gameplay is good as well, strong storyline to the campaigns on all three sides, but its let down by the campaigns being so god damned short...

Super Metroid... I need not say anymore.....

Fifa 2005... Possibly my second favorite football(soccer) game, the game play is almost perfect as to what the real game is like...

Nfl 2006... I got a loan of this off my friend jesse, he says i should get more into this.. but yeah, i really love this, the amount of different plays you can go into, fooling the defence etc.. i love it... GO DOLPHINS!

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology - Capcom PS2 - Capcom at its fighting finest, it's fun to go back to these, Alpha 2 in particular was by favorite in the series. Great fighting engine, and a great cast make these possibly my favorite Capcom fighters (Street Fighter 3 and Capcom vs SNK 2 are also in the running)

Dude! We are totally on the same boat with the Alpha 2 comment. It was my fave out of the three. However, i feel that 3rd Strike and CvS2 are tops for me. Its so hard for me to pick which is my favorite among the two.

ok So....

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - So i finally got a chance to play the US version. And yes, its better than the Japanese version...by a little though. It has been noticably tweaked (Vincent runs faster and he's got a double jump by default now). And although the story is interesting, characters are nifty( that one-eyed chick is hot) and some of the gameplay mechanics are cool (customizing is badass), this game isnt for everybody. Im not much into the 3rd person shooter on a console (although you can hook up a keyboard and mouse), but i have to beat it cuz i love FFVII so much. I'm still at lvl 5 because of my goddamn thesis, so playing is gonna have to wait. U____U

3rd Strike and CvS 2 - i need to get back into these games as soon as possible...

bish, im impressed by your old school run there, suiko II is yours whenever you come get it man. you never finished earthbound?!

I tried Prince of Persia: Sands of Time on (i think it was) SB or bishop's recommendation, already having trouble. im like 30 minutes into that one and:

Gun

Castlevanaia: Lament of Innocence (i think)

Echo Night

Shin Megami Tensei

Ultimate Spider-Man

Blood Will Tell

and numerous others. Psychonauts, tragically, isnt working for some reason now. Last night was all Fatal Frame 2 (hard to play alone in the dark, admittedly...) and Radiata Stories. Ill say more on all these games when i commit to one at least.

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - I finally beat the game...while its not great, the story was decent and brings a sort of closure to Vincent. Much like Advent Children did for Cloud. But it seems like a sequel will spawn from this game...if u get the secret ending. But if ur a fan of FFVII, play it for the story.

3rd Strike and CvS 2 - I still have to get back to these games....

I know time is a commodity i don't have a lot of these days.

One of these day's i'm just gonna play the following games all the way through (when nanno is at work :lynch:)

MGS3

Resident Evil 4

GTA: San Andreas

Doom 3 plus expansion pack

PS when you play doom 3, you have to play it in the dark and sound turned up. Probably one of teh best horror games ever made!

Shadow of Colossus is awesome and very invovling, and makes you feel all kinds of accomplished. 3 of these fucks down!!

I wish Ico woulda had this. I mean, both are beautiful and envoloping, but i played Ico 3x and have yet to finish it, i kinda lose interest in horn-kid and crazy-bitch at some random point; Shadow, its find the fuck, figure out how not to die, what patch of hair to climb up, hang till your hands start to bleed, find the spot and stab, stab, stab repeat till the house comes down.

Much love to panch for uh, lending this one.

Little less variety this week for:

B00012BSJ4.01-A3KGNLL200UCI2._AA200_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Metroid Zero mission: Finally got around to playing this one. Damn good remake of the first game, and I'll avoid the spoilers to say that the ending section was both surprising and cool. If you like metroind at all, this is a great game.

B0009Z3KB2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Suikoden Tactics: They had this at my local EB for about $25 dollars and it came with a soundtrack. It seems pretty cool, though it seems to base itself very heavlily plot wise on the fourth game (which I haven't played.) I'm about the 4th mission in.

ps2-dragon-quest-viii-us.jpg

Dragon Quest VIII: Well, now that this one is down to under $20 bucks at EB I decided what the hell. I haven't been huge into JRPGs recently, but I guessed that I could always sell it on ebay if I didn't like it. After playing for about an hour, I almost did. Man the first hour of this game just plain blows, it is pretty hellish, especially if you aren't expecting it. This game is seriously oldschool. It doesn't even have mid-dungeon save spots. Seriously, what year are we in. Still, it does a lot of things right, the world has a ton of charm, and so do the main characters, and even the enemies that you fight. I'm glad I didn't drop this after the first hour, because now I'm about 40:00 in and maybe halfway through. Pretty sweet game.

Edited by bishopcruz

really? Newt was tryin to get me to give that one a go as well....after Suikoden V, im temporarily burnt for j-rpgs (tho i did get the whole Xenosaga vol 1 anime recnetly, if anyone wants it. christ knows if/when they do vol 2 ill prolly skip the game).

currently rolling with:

B0009I6S0O.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64686347_.jpg

As previously stated, this game is awesome, and very enveloping. Here's a rare example of an almost mute character i can get into.

B0000AI1KK.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64229872_.jpg

Props to this game: i was playing the other night, inna dark, basically by myself and i actually got nervous enough to stop the game. I cant remember how long its been since that happend, but actually evicting discomfort/fear out of me, im impressed.

B0000A8VBZ.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1069347249_.jpg

Eh...im trying to get into this (and slowly, The Suffering: Ties that Bind) after recommendations on the horror game thread, but the weird, almost metal-gear controls/engine isnt doing it for me yet. Im gonna go back to Fatal Frame 2, then possibly Echo Night.

B0009Z3HYW.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64840523_.jpg

Props again to Bishop for the recommendation; ill get more into this one soon enough hopefully. i just got into town, and there's all kinds of shit going on....i enjoyed Red Dead Revolver years back, but this is more the game/plot i was hoping for from that, i think.

B0009A4EUI.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V60038843_.jpg

Another Newt recommedation, and the one j-rpg that's breaking my current rule on playing them, mostly cause the fight enginge is hack & slash, and the ragtag, aspiring knight party i have is such a trip....this game's got a lotta heart, im just curious to see if it gets all epic later, and how that transition goes for it.

on deck: The Punisher, the old Metal Gear games in Subsistence, finishing Ys, re-renting a working copy of 24 (i cant believe the fucking glitches in this game....) and another copy of Psychonauts since mine tragically stopped working, just when i was really wanting to play it... :villiager:

Disgaea 2 - Haven't been in it too much (like an hour or so), but like its predecessor, IT ROCKS! If any of you liked FF Tactics at all, the Disgaea series in (IMO) the next best thing. Its got some pretty-out-there summons and spells. The story is entertaning (check out the anime too), and the gameplay is just badass. My favorite Tactics game this generation so far.

Dance Factory - Alright, you gotta be into DDR for this one. Basically, the thing about this game is that you can actually put in your own music CDs and it will create the arrows for you. That way you dont have to put up with all that euro-trash you find in the DDR series.

This is a geeky-ass game right here...

FPS Creator - OK. I do the whole 3D thing in skool. So i like making models and animations and such. But the coding sucks ass (although im getting the hang of it). But this 'game' gets rid of at least 95% of all coding. The only time you 'code', ur pretty much guided and that's only when you are doing custom stuff. This game (actually its an editor more than anything) comes with tons of presets..not the greatest of quality, but you have COMPLETE control over your level making. It has a full physics system, multi-player, you can import(say u made something in UT2004, u can put it in this game). I really cant go into detail without writing a page or two about it, but trust me. If you like FPS games...you HAVE to give this a try. Its the easiest way to make your own. Best of all, you can actually sell your game and not have to pay the company a dime. I do have to point out that the games graphics are not limited to what you see in the presets...you can make your games look pretty nice...just not very next-gen. But if you really try, ur games could end up looking like this:

yardcn1.jpg

ok. Im out.

Yeah, FPS Creator is a PC title. Its pretty cool shit, but i wont have the time to really fuck with it 'till December. If you are into DDR, yeah try Dance Factory...you wont have music videos and stuff, but at least you can create little avatars that dance with you...in a versus match, they fight whoever ur playing against. As for Disgaea, well, theres tons of shit to do (side quests and stuff)...i think thats why that person u mentioned isnt done yet. But yeah its a badass game.

Check this shit, another user-made screen from FPS Creator:

273so9.jpg

I actually downloaded a level some dude did the day he got the software...it wasnt great, but it shows what you can do with very little time.

http://files.filefront.com/Shrine_Arenazip...;/fileinfo.html

whoah, that is cool. that a PC title, the FPS one? and dance factory sounds interestin.

also: i keep wanting to get into Disgea (looked fun, i like the story and engine) but Newt discouraged me saying he was 300+ hours in and not done.

what part of 300+ hours of gaming is there to dislike?

but yeah... ive been playing lots of demos recently... FFXII, Just Cause....

and well, games short enough to be demos, Tiberian Sun, Shogun; Total War

those last 3 PC titles?

glad you got the FF XII demo, what'd you think? combat's...interetsting. Whered you get the Just Cause demo?

oh, and 300+ is discouraging, cause i just cant dedicate the kind of time that game's gonna require. Suikoden 5 took me almost 100 hours, it was way too much to balance out with class and shit right now.

Gotta agree with Cowboy, a game that is near 100 hours has to be DAMN good in order for me to put the time nad effort into it that it requires. I don't have the time to spends running through freakishly long RPGs anymore. There have been a few exceptions, Oblivion, and DQVIII, but as I said, something has to be DAMN good. Even when it is there is a good chance I'm not going to finish it.

It's one of the reasons Ys VI is so great. It's a lot of fun and it's about 15 hours at most your first time through. Short, sweet, and very replayable.

those last 3 PC titles?

glad you got the FF XII demo, what'd you think? combat's...interetsting. Whered you get the Just Cause demo?

oh, and 300+ is discouraging, cause i just cant dedicate the kind of time that game's gonna require. Suikoden 5 took me almost 100 hours, it was way too much to balance out with class and shit right now.

there were only two games, Command and conquer; Tiberian sun and Shogun; Total war.. both on the pc...

but man, the combat is something else.. gonna wipe the floor with X in my opinion... and as for the just cause demo, they're scattered around the internet, i'll try find a torrent for one if you want (pc demo mind you)

as for the 300+ hour game, well it is an issue of commitment, you're right, but something like that screams "worth while" to me though, i just love the ability to explore a game in that much detail, its why i have no accurate timing of my FFVII games.... the clock only went to 99 hours

i guess youre right, i oughta give it a go, even if i can never feesibly finish it.

This week's hits at my place:

B0007PIEB0.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1111496800_.jpg

Man, this thing is a blast, its just a lotta fun with mini-quests and the like, and its got so much creativity in its characters and such....i havent laughed at a game this much in a while. Its a platformer no doubt, my sweaty controller verifies that, but its the best and easily most creative one in a while; you cant put more than 10 minutes into this and name me another game just like it, i think. Props to Newt and Bishop for recommending this one.

B00005ULXM.01-A19MO7RU63SWGR._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is what i get for sleeping on a Sega title....its just a one-button, fun music/something else game. My best description is Space Harrier uh, at a rave, possibly on x. Seems fairly short, but just fun and replayable.

And coming next week from the good folks at Gamefly.com:

B000FIVC2W.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59078176_.jpg

cant say shit till its here, but man am i hyped. I cant seem to get Shenume III to come out, so here's to hoping for something nearly as enjoyable & envoloping turning into a series as well.