Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comic Shop

The NZA

I never got this idea out of my head. it was strongly reinforced by Warren Elils' collection of essays, "Come in Alone", so of course i posted all about that here.

The guys i know who're retiring from the field im getting into (granted, 25 years down the line, assuming you make it), a number of them are looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars in their "drop plans" (its for another thread), one captain i met from coral gables has less than 6 months to 3/4 of a mill.

Anyway, you can always dream about what property/boats etc youd get if you made it there, but if i somehow had access to funding like that now, id be very tempted to start a comic book store. Not exaclty a cash cow, but i think ive got ideas that'd be different.

-Location's the most expensive part: id want the grove, or the beach or osmethin where people wander about. you see, too many comic shops are just outright unnaproachable to non-fanboys (miami locals know A&M has tons of shit but it smells like feet and its dark and not at all inviting.

People wander through taboo sex shops all the time, just to look out of curioisty and pick up the odd gag gift or soemthing, but i cant get most folks to even stroll through a comic shop. THis is garbage! They need to be like bookstores, that relaxed professionalism and all, inviting the curious, rather than shaming them. Midtown had original art on their walls, and the place looked like a gallery.

- The entire layout sucks. Ellis says that music stores dont have sections by Arista Records, Def Jam etc, why are my stores by DC, Image, Marvel etc? Id love to have all kindsa indie & manga books and do it by genre. Granted, superhero is a big, big section but do you realize the market of girls (and guys) looking for something differnt, like horror, romance, comedy etc that you miss out on by hainvg them thumb through 2 boxes of Savage fucking Dragon to find something they may or may not like?

- Fuck the eletist, anti-social comic store employees; its funny in a kevin smith film, but its weak otherwise. When i was in Midtown Comics in manhattan, employees not only helped you find what book you had in mind, they were great at suggesting "if you like sandman, youd like..." and even put me onto a few books i dindt know. Thats what im talkin about.

Back in the day, Specs music here had a kiosk that i could type in "Wu-Tang" and boom, arhcived list of all their works, including how to backorder what wasnt at the store. I think such a box for comic shops, done by artist, writer, genre, book title, era etc could be really cool too.

- Cross promote new venues, like Fanboy Radio and Drive-Thru comics, who's trying to itunes downloadable books and its a cool idea.

-FUCK POKEMON, FUCK D&D, FUCK WARHAMMER, etc.

i dont want those crowds, i just dont. Sure im being eletist, but this is a comic book/manga store. We will pay our bills with comics, comic merchandise (t-shirst, statues, posters, art etc), and other things like possibly bootlegs and such, but...well, that leads to my next point.

- I wanna work on stoping comics from being the bastard child of pop culture. Seriously.

punk, retro etc kids will rock a superhero logo shirt, mainstream america will watch comic movies to death, the cartoons do well, but the books dont get read. here's a few ideas i had to work on that:

1) Actually try to capitalize on the films. When Batman Begins came out, why are there just the shitty movie adaptions all over? Why not a bamtan begins standup with copies of the Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Long Halloween etc in stock?

Why does Time Magazine often have a section for "top 10 graphic novels" without practityally anything of that list avaliable at major stores?

Why, when Road to Perdition, American Splendor, Ghost World, A Hisotry of Violence, etc came out, did i have to order the books online cause no locals had them?

Why does Gaiman have new novels coming out, but no one capitalized on the huge fan following he has from even non-comic readers? id highlight a "Gaiman" section with Sandman, Mr Punch, Stardust, etc in one place and i bet theyd move.

2) Why not draw in a new crowd?

What if we had actual writers & artists come in like the major stores do (id love to have Vaughan've plugged Pride of Baghdad, for instance), but also had, say, local stuff? and not just comic.

I used to think it might be cool, since bookstores have coffee houses, to try something like that, with store tades laying around for public use, and mebbe even a stage for local music shows - nothing big, but just an attempt to cross over the cultural gap that everyone's convinced themselves is there?

I used to think we could even try a small LAN room the way Alternate Dimension does, but not let it take over...im saying tho, these crowds, they overlap, and i dont see anyone jumping on that.

...ill take it one further. What if we made it a hangout thats open late weekend nights, somehow? hire hot chicks like AD did, mebbe, but fangirls all the same. But if we had local music, mebbe some games, and books for everyone, i bet we could start to tap into the huge number of people here who arent always up on our local club scene. We could host viewings for local anime groups, or movie marathons for cult shit, all of that. i really think the possibilities are endless.

Best yet, if we could keep our head above water? I could call it Hondo's, and have Newt, Panch, and others work the joint for as long as they cared to, cause panch worked his ass off for our local shop here, and i think theyd both be great for it. We could even use the place to hype local projects like Bishop's RPG localization comapny.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny you should bring this up. I was talking to a friend about opening a comic book store someday.

Location's the most expensive part: id want the grove, or the beach or osmethin where people wander about. you see, too many comic shops are just outright unnaproachable to non-fanboys (miami locals know A&M has tons of shit but it smells like feet and its dark and not at all inviting.

It's true what you say about this. Location is how a comic store can make it. The one I go to may not be big but it's in a busy area so it's aways full.

People wander through taboo sex shops all the time, just to look out of curioisty and pick up the odd gag gift or soemthing, but i cant get most folks to even stroll through a comic shop. THis is garbage! They need to be like bookstores, that relaxed professionalism and all, inviting the curious, rather than shaming them. Midtown had original art on their walls, and the place looked like a gallery. - Fuck the eletist, anti-social comic store employees; its funny in a kevin smith film, but its weak otherwise. When i was in Midtown Comics in manhattan, employees not only helped you find what book you had in mind, they were great at suggesting "if you like sandman, youd like..." and even put me onto a few books i dindt know. Thats what im talkin about.

Back in the day, Specs music here had a kiosk that i could type in "Wu-Tang" and boom, arhcived list of all their works, including how to backorder what wasnt at the store. I think such a box for comic shops, done by artist, writer, genre, book title, era etc could be really cool too.

I think it was you I was talking about this a while back. One side of the store you'll have the trade area with seats and tables. The other with the back/new issues while the indie & manga books gets its own spot in front of the counter in which it will make easy to recommend on what they're missing out on. I agree about what you said about need a "arhcived list of all their works, including how to backorder what wasnt at the store." But I'm thinking the if somebody new was getting into comics or somebody want to learn more about Gaiman we can have a printout of all his works from comics to books to his cds.

FUCK POKEMON, FUCK D&D, FUCK WARHAMMER, etc.

i dont want those crowds, i just dont. Sure im being eletist, but this is a comic book/manga store. We will pay our bills with comics, comic merchandise (t-shirst, statues, posters, art etc), and other things like possibly bootlegs and such, but...well, that leads to my next point.

I'm with you on this. A comic store should be a comic store but the game crowd do spend money. If anything we can do what tate's does and it's that they a have another store a few doors down just for the card gaming crowd but what we do is have the lan partys after hour to avoid any problems.

Actually try to capitalize on the films. When Batman Begins came out, why are there just the shitty movie adaptions all over? Why not a bamtan begins standup with copies of the Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Long Halloween etc in stock?

Why does Time Magazine often have a section for "top 10 graphic novels" without practityally anything of that list avaliable at major stores?

Why, when Road to Perdition, American Splendor, Ghost World, A Hisotry of Violence, etc came out, did i have to order the books online cause no locals had them?

I don't get that. They never do anything when a comic movie come's out. What I would do is put a table outside with copys of the book and a few other things just to let people know whats going on. Plus when the movie come's out on DVD we set up a big screen TV inside and have people pay a buck for a ticket in which they can win a few item that tie in with the movie.

...ill take it one further. What if we made it a hangout thats open late weekend nights, somehow? hire hot chicks like AD did, mebbe, but fangirls all the same. But if we had local music, mebbe some games, and books for everyone, i bet we could start to tap into the huge number of people here who arent always up on our local club scene. We could host viewings for local anime groups, or movie marathons for cult shit, all of that. i really think the possibilities are endless.

Do you have any idea how cool that will be.

What if we had actual writers & artists come in like the major stores do (id love to have Vaughan've plugged Pride of Baghdad, for instance), but also had, say, local stuff? and not just comic.

Let's say we get a actual writers & artists come in. We do the Q&A think but at same time we can do a webcam type of thing in which people can ask question if they can't make it to the store.

I'll be up for this down the road if we can make it happen.

You guys must have particularly lousy comic shops. The shop I've got around here isn't all that spectacular, but they do quite a few of those things already (like capitalizing on comic book movies). Still, your ideas would definitely take it to a whole new level. I'd shop at a place like that.

One of the big ones in Austin stays open until 12 many nights, and has a section for gaming sessions (I happen to like DnD and other table-top rpgs), and several related stores (a comic/anime store, a video games store, and an anime store) had late hours and/or hosted LAN parties or anime meetings.

Man, sounds like you won't have stiff competition. I'm with SB. Mine's not super but they cover the basics. It's funny actually, I was drinking with a girl a month or two ago who told me her boyfriend owned one've the lesser stores I attend(but incidentally the foremost prominent store in Brisbane) but he actually hates comics. He works the counter most've the day & he doesn't seem like too bad a fellow, despite his cultural handicap, but something like that really does boggle the mind :howyoudoin:

No lie though, the best stores in Bris(in my mind- range, price & good shippers) are three dusty little holes in the wall that noone ever sees. A little non-bollocks FYI: Damo(Venom) & I were looking to do this back in '01. We scouted the site, did all the costing, little bit've networking with a few native creators, and at that time the Aus Govt had something called The New Enterprise Incentive Scheme which was basically Austudy or similar whereby we'd be funded for 12 months(it was like, AU$300 a f/night but better than a poke in the arse), put through a business management course & given a financial planner or mentor-style thingy. Obviously I woulda handled the comics side & since Damo isn't a big fan he would've handled tabletop gaming. We'd planned to have a small LAN of PS2s or PCs, my personal collection would've been a small piece of the starting stock & we even had backers for the loan. Damo being Damo though & shit never got past planning, and since his grandparents were going guaranter(sp)on the loan, nothing ever came of it. Fucking tragic. I'm still planning on doing this downa track with a few revisions.

It's funny you should bring this up. I was talking to a friend about opening a comic book store someday.

Weird, right?

I was telling Kertins: im getting hired on next year. I then save up & buy a place in '08.

because of my licenses & degree, i can possibly make Lt. in somewhere around 3-5 years, and im told by the metro guys that with overtime, some clear six figures...if i live somewhat humble like i do and dont spend much outside of my place and mebbe travelling, couple this with rebuilding my credit/having equity, i think its somewhat feesable.

Id have to really consult small business owners like Jax and talk to whoever they did with his franchise, but yorue right, its far more reasonable with other owners, especially since im on duty a lot.

It's true what you say about this. Location is how a comic store can make it. The one I go to may not be big but it's in a busy area so it's aways full.

When Jax was buying Smoothie King, at first, he was talking about the one in Doral, then opted for the South Beach one. My brother's been looking to run a small business for years now, and he was telling me how much smarter it was to run such a place in a location where not only would your clientele (for him, that's health nuts and such) are, but pedestrians are all about. This makes sense, especially for a hangout, id think.

I think it was you I was talking about this a while back. One side of the store you'll have the trade area with seats and tables. The other with the back/new issues while the indie & manga books gets its own spot in front of the counter in which it will make easy to recommend on what they're missing out on. I agree about what you said about need a "arhcived list of all their works, including how to backorder what wasnt at the store." But I'm thinking the if somebody new was getting into comics or somebody want to learn more about Gaiman we can have a printout of all his works from comics to books to his cds.

Hmm...i was thinkin about the layout.

For one: if im really trying to cross over to other elements of pop culture, im mostly selling trades, i figure. A full arc at a better price with no ads, stands a better chance than the bags & boards that mainstream consumers arent attracted to. Purists like pacnh will crap on me for this, but too many stores take up space with backissues and such...what if i just ordered new issues (mostly by the # of subscribers/solid clientele) to avoid overstocking, and kept backissues at a nearby location? using that kiosk idea, we could havea full catalog, ordering system (tying into customer service, natch) and pay less for space with a good, ventiallated storage unit nearby.

Im with you on keeping the indie/stuff you wanna hype up front for impusle buying; no point in lining the front with wolvy/batman shit that's gonna move either way.

When i was in San Fran, the music stores were awesome, theyd play great shit and recommend all kidnsa mixtapes and compilations for the artist you were lookin for. Local video stores were even better: huge indy sections with foreign films and documentaries and shit, and like smaller video stores do, each employee had a big monthly recommendation sectoin where they'd write a summary of the movie they were pimping this month, along with a list of "if you enjoy (x)...youll like this" and such.

Imagine, cause this month, idve done Pride of Baghdad, featured sample art, posted a link to the myspace page, whatever, mebbe even offer incentive discounts (kertins' idea) like buy it and get so much off your overall purchase or somethin.

I'm with you on this. A comic store should be a comic store but the game crowd do spend money. If anything we can do what tate's does and it's that they a have another store a few doors down just for the card gaming crowd but what we do is have the lan partys after hour to avoid any problems.

I would love to have the kinda warehouse space for big LAN (network gaming) events that charge like $20+ at the door and just sell blank media, mice, keyboards etc (cause everyone brings their own setup) and has huge game networks going, bootlegging etc, and of course, a room for networked console play, charge by the hour or whatever, but itd take a lotta space so i just dont know.

But the gamer crowd is definitely part of the market, i think, but mebbe on certain nights during the week, you know?

I don't get that. They never do anything when a comic movie come's out. What I would do is put a table outside with copys of the book and a few other things just to let people know whats going on. Plus when the movie come's out on DVD we set up a big screen TV inside and have people pay a buck for a ticket in which they can win a few item that tie in with the movie.

Right...wed just have to watch it on gettin busted for profiting showing someone else's movie. The merchandise idea is great, and your one on having a stand of the book out front of the store, is really great man. were on the same page here.

Do you have any idea how cool that will be.

Thats the thing; i think there's this huge market of people in miami that just dont wanna go to clubs.

i cant afford to sell booze or have it in the place (for fear of underage shit) but having anime nights, small LANS, and local rock/indie/whatever performances, even book readings or something would not only add a lot to the place, door charges, venue charges etc would help keep the place open...like most comic shops, the comics arent a cash cow & wont actually pay the rent, but the other venues would.

Let's say we get a actual writers & artists come in. We do the Q&A think but at same time we can do a webcam type of thing in which people can ask question if they can't make it to the store.

I'll be up for this down the road if we can make it happen.

Yeah, i figured you would. Were of course talkin years away, cause i cant even make rent sometimes right now, but i think its possible.

onto SB:

You guys must have particularly lousy comic shops. The shop I've got around here isn't all that spectacular, but they do quite a few of those things already (like capitalizing on comic book movies). Still, your ideas would definitely take it to a whole new level. I'd shop at a place like that.

I love our scenes but youre right, we do. A lot of that isnt so innovative or unheard of, just not really present here...newt's store is honestly way better.

Glad you dig it, cause if the joint's called Hondo's and links back here, you can be sure if i pull it off and have art up on the walls, DrawingTheLineStudios.com has gotta have a piece for us. :howyoudoin:

2T:

Yeah, i mean id love to have Sen writing "Hondo's Comics" or somethin on her boobalahs and promoting, but i mean, just look at the #'s that bookstores get off of chicks buying manga: they sell in the millions, while comics sell in the hundred thousand on a good day. I think that's the big companies' fault too, but again, Ellis uses examples of shit that's ridicuolously hot in pop culture, like how PowderPuff girls was a few years back. All the merchandise sold like hotcakes, sans the DC book that wasnt promoted. I bet you can pick out most major anime that show on cartoon network and watch the manga sales rise correspondingly, without the bookstores even trying to promote them, but still most comics dont seem generally interested in the chick market, for some reason.

Anyway, what im sayin is yeah, this needs to be a place that chicks feel comfortable in too.

Ly:

One of the big ones in Austin stays open until 12 many nights, and has a section for gaming sessions (I happen to like DnD and other table-top rpgs), and several related stores (a comic/anime store, a video games store, and an anime store) had late hours and/or hosted LAN parties or anime meetings.

I meant no offense. Here's the thing, tho...

Y2Komics in fort worth (mighta been Lone Star, i get em mixed up), they had a huge store, amazing selection. They pandered via the backrooms to the table top RPG crowd, and it was brilliant for them cause there id be on weds buying $20-25 of books, wiaitng in line behind some guy with crazy expandable income and getting $700+ of minatures, rulebooks, etc. and he was a frequent flyer.

I could be financially shooting myself in the foot by isolating this market, which again other stores like AD here already hone in on, and prolly better. its something id have to consider if shit wasnt workin out, but...

stereotypically, were talkin about a crowd of guys who arent as cool as you are. This isnt a crowd i think'd be very inviting or mesh well with the other groups im trying to get in there on certain nights, especially the music/performing art ventures, you know? im afraid id just end up running another comic shop in an expensive area that looks inviting at first but isnt, and then my whole cultural/sociological experiement doesnt really happen.

could be overthinking it, you let me know what you think.

Skeet: shit man, that's heartbreaking.

and given that something upwards of 60% of small business ventures in south florida fail inside of their first 9 months or so, as ive read, any kinda gov't subsidizing would be both awesome and non likely.

Im essentially talking about a comic store that fronts as a cultural hangout in one of the most expensive areas (id imagine) in the state, so if i had half the planning/financial ideas you got there, itd be a lot more likely.

I can see how that'd be a problem (You're right. Not everyone is as cool as me I've met some real trolls). Still, I Dunno... :2T:

You could also see about (occasional) showings of movies or tv series from other countries (that haven't been domestically lisenced yet, to avoid legal troubles). Things like (for example) British shows: Doctor Who (have you watched the two new seasons that are out?), Japanese movies (the anime club I was in at UTA showed Ringu before it came out here, and drew a large crowd). Also small selection of dvds for rent might be a good draw.

im mostly selling trades, i figure. A full arc at a better price with no ads, stands a better chance than the bags & boards that mainstream consumers arent attracted to.

The reason I don't go to my local comic book store is because their trade selection sucks. Why waste time on crap when I can go to Barnes and Nobles and get whatever I want. I spent over a hundred a week at the comic store I used to go to in NJ 'cause they had kick ass trades and the kinda staff that'd steer you in the right direction. Buying a "Hellblazer" trade I ended up walking out with the first issue of "Thor:Vikings" and the "Pride & Joy" trade.

Ly - shit, youre right. i was just thinkin about crossing over with the FIU Anime club, but LL's always gettin people in on lesser known asian horror pieces, and how awesome would it be to have october be horror month, having regularly scheduled nights for things like The Eye, Ringu, Ju-On, 3 Extremes etc?

Get a big projector screen, some couches & bean bags, charge a few bucks at the door & have refreshments and the like on sale (i could prolly talk to Jax about wholesale-ing smoothie king products or working with him somehow, too) and make an event out of it.

Thats the exciting thing tho, i think: with a decent amount of space and good promotion/word of mouth, i think itd make enough to at least stay open, and i keep thinking of more possibilities of events that this kinda crowd'd be down for.

2T - exactly. and an ennis section woudlve really tapped you out, too.

There's this one place i saw in San Fran (not the shitty one on telegraph) that was like a fucking library: they mustve had almost every trade ever printed, tons of indie shit. it was overwhelming...i coudlnt fathom a stock like that, but between internets and such i think i could get most things people're lookin for. we could even hire a rent/bitch-boy to get shit offa ebay if need be.

Ly - shit, youre right. i was just thinkin about crossing over with the FIU Anime club, but LL's always gettin people in on lesser known asian horror pieces, and how awesome would it be to have october be horror month, having regularly scheduled nights for things like The Eye, Ringu, Ju-On, 3 Extremes etc?

Get a big projector screen, some couches & bean bags, charge a few bucks at the door & have refreshments and the like on sale (i could prolly talk to Jax about wholesale-ing smoothie king products or working with him somehow, too) and make an event out of it.

Thats the exciting thing tho, i think: with a decent amount of space and good promotion/word of mouth, i think itd make enough to at least stay open, and i keep thinking of more possibilities of events that this kinda crowd'd be down for.

For the movie thing we need to bring in junkerseed. He is after all a movie buff.

For one: if im really trying to cross over to other elements of pop culture, im mostly selling trades, i figure. A full arc at a better price with no ads, stands a better chance than the bags & boards that mainstream consumers arent attracted to. Purists like pacnh will crap on me for this, but too many stores take up space with backissues and such...what if i just ordered new issues (mostly by the # of subscribers/solid clientele) to avoid overstocking, and kept backissues at a nearby location? using that kiosk idea, we could havea full catalog, ordering system (tying into customer service, natch) and pay less for space with a good, ventiallated storage unit nearby.

Yes..but you'll want to order a few extras because often you'll have people coming in who's not a subscriber looking for some singles issuses cause no matter what people are always going to buy/want the singles over trades.

The reason I don't go to my local comic book store is because their trade selection sucks. Why waste time on crap when I can go to Barnes and Nobles and get whatever I want. I spent over a hundred a week at the comic store I used to go to in NJ 'cause they had kick ass trades and the kinda staff that'd steer you in the right direction. Buying a "Hellblazer" trade I ended up walking out with the first issue of "Thor:Vikings" and the "Pride & Joy" trade.

Which is why I'm saying one side of the store should be nothing but trades with seats an tables. I tend to read a few trades then buy in bulk when ever I can just sit an read.

Right...wed just have to watch it on gettin busted for profiting showing someone else's movie. The merchandise idea is great, and your one on having a stand of the book out front of the store, is really great man. were on the same page here.

I need to be more clear on things. This is what I meant about the ticket. You can come in an watch the movie for free but what we do before or after the movie is hold a raffle. We sell the tickets two weeks ahead of time for the big night. Say we're going show 2track the movie we'll give out prizes that has to do with the movie.

2T - exactly. and an ennis section woudlve really tapped you out, too.

There's this one place i saw in San Fran (not the shitty one on telegraph) that was like a fucking library: they mustve had almost every trade ever printed, tons of indie shit. it was overwhelming...i coudlnt fathom a stock like that, but between internets and such i think i could get most things people're lookin for. we could even hire a rent/bitch-boy to get shit offa ebay if need be.

The one on Telegraph was the fucking best. Curtained off Porno comics-section and creepy clerks forever!

Are you talking about the one on University? If so that was indeed a kick ass store.

Also 2track: The Movie is the best. It's like a pastier Dolemite.

For the movie thing we need to bring in junkerseed. He is after all a movie buff.

Yeah, he says he'll be round more next semester. I PM'd him and a few others the link here, but he's definitnely somebody id want involved.

Yes..but you'll want to order a few extras because often you'll have people coming in who's not a subscriber looking for some singles issuses cause no matter what people are always going to buy/want the singles over trades.

That's true, i was thinkin you need a few on hand. I just dont wanna overstock the way many retialers got screwed by marvel's no buy-back policy, and either take up storage room more & more each month or dump the lot of them on ebay for a loss.

Which is why I'm saying one side of the store should be nothing but trades with seats an tables. I tend to read a few trades then buy in bulk when ever I can just sit an read.

Right, and chairs & such are defintiely part of the atmosphere, im just really thinking 75-80%+ TPBs and single issues for this month's and subscirbers. Bear in mind, im lookin to try a lot of shit with not a lot of space...i oughta look into what the average sized lot in those areas goes for and play with the #'s a bit.

I need to be more clear on things. This is what I meant about the ticket. You can come in an watch the movie for free but what we do before or after the movie is hold a raffle. We sell the tickets two weeks ahead of time for the big night. Say we're going show 2track the movie we'll give out prizes that has to do with the movie.

Oh, well that's cool, and raffles could work too, especially themed ones like that.

My only concern is that with certain things, like how there was a point when restaraunts were showing Sopranos in some places, HBO cracked down on that for showing a group that didnt pay for it or something, even tho the establishment wasnt directly profiting from their show.

I mean, the shit anime hurricane gets away with, im not expecting a lotta heat for fansbus, bootlegging or anything like that, depending on how strict the area is. Kertins was saying i should be more wary of things like booze and minors.

2T:

The one on Telegraph was the fucking best. Curtained off Porno comics-section and creepy clerks forever!

Are you talking about the one on University? If so that was indeed a kick ass store.

Also 2track: The Movie is the best. It's like a pastier Dolemite.

Thats the one...creepy and like had mebbe 5 comics without titties in em.

I think it mighta been that one...youd know it, it went far back in and was lined with trades, nothing but. More indie shit than ive ever seen in one place, by far.

Hah...we could always do Shaft, Dolemite, Blackula and other exploitiation flicks for black history month. Man, this shit just writes itself.

I could finally have that classic Street Fighter II competitoin for global domination id always wanted! winner gets uh, a ken doll and the trades of the series. and bragging rights for days.

I fucking love this man, it's hard not to. He's just so full of life and ideas! :2T:

Here some great points I've been hearing about this... and sorry If don't quote you because christ guys, ya'll went all out!

1) Location is crucial. I like both the south beach/grove ideas. The South Beach Idea seems to work best because you'll have all sorts of people there, especially when the beach's having crazy events, such as HipHop weekend in May, they have fourth of July events, or just other events that happen all through the year... especially when they have art shows! How cool would that be if you had a great artist promote his book/art?

2) As much of an advocate of alcohol I am... It's never a good idea to have it inside the store for underaged kids, because that's where you'll definitely get close down. If kids wanna get high/drunk outside the store or elsewhere, but come into the store, that's fine. As long as they are not causing trouble and mayham.

3) The ideas you guys throw around about how to set up the store so it can be more appealing to the customer is fantastic. Espeically with employees that know comics and know great books for further recommendation. I'm sure Panch, NewT, and who ever else is local can do this, for a bit while Nick gets more help.

4) I think an excellent way of getting customers to read different things is when you promote a new book (i.e. Pride of Bahgdad) and have them take another book (you're recommendation according to their interest) for half price or something... that'd be awesome. Hell if I shopped somewhere like that for Manga or something, i'd be more inclined to come back and shop more!

5) Having kids hang out, watch movies, play online, have musical performances, all A+++++++ ideas!

6) Aside from trying to appeal to the younger aged crowd, the idea of a coffee shop might appeal to the older crowd... maybe draw out that coffee/beverage area further away from wehre the kids hang out so that it'll be less quiet for those who just wanna sit and read... ya know?

(i know this is a bit more farfetched, but if you had a two floor place, you could definitely make the upstairs the kids hangout and downstairs the more quieter area.. or vice versa).

I'd like to add, because no has mentioned: YOu can always promote the store online and sell books as well!!! DUH!!! Let's not limit costumers to just Miami Locals... Expand all through the USA and all over the world!!! YOu could always send a business card and say "come visit hondos comics in miami"

You know what will kick ass if/when we do open one. We can do a MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000!!! marathon.

Y_E_S, YES!!!!

I think NewT read my mind.

Well, as most of you..or all of you know, i am not big on comics...but i absolutely understand the desperation. If this helps any, IC, I am offering my artistics and organizational services when you are ready to set up shop...when you do.

Like Jax mentioned, you have to offer something to the public that others don't. I know many people enjoy good comics (why?? i have no idea) there should definitely be a hang out area, there should be events on certain nights like " mini conventions" where people show off their collections...i dunno, these are just random ideas.

Oh, well that's cool, and raffles could work too, especially themed ones like that.

My only concern is that with certain things, like how there was a point when restaraunts were showing Sopranos in some places, HBO cracked down on that for showing a group that didnt pay for it or something, even tho the establishment wasnt directly profiting from their show.

I mean, the shit anime hurricane gets away with, im not expecting a lotta heat for fansbus, bootlegging or anything like that, depending on how strict the area is. Kertins was saying i should be more wary of things like booze and minors.

Really guys... I'm not saying this to attack anyone or anything like that, ok? My advice? *takes a deep breath* DO NOT SHOW DOSMESTICALLY LICENSED MEDIA WITHOUT PERMISSION. Publically showing a licensed movie, or show (whatever), without permission from the company that has rights to it (whether you charge admission or not)? Bad Idea. You will need the company's permission to show it per showing. That's why I'm saying only stuff that isn't domestically licensed, or stuff you have written permission for. Anything otherwise is asking for legal troubles.

I will post more when I catch up but for now here is what I think.

“When Jax was buying Smoothie King, at first, he was talking about the one in Doral, then opted for the South Beach one. My brother's been looking to run a small business for years now, and he was telling me how much smarter it was to run such a place in a location where not only would your clientele (for him, that's health nuts and such) are, but pedestrians are all about. This makes sense, especially for a hangout, id think.”

This is true with a few small exceptions most notably the kind of street traffic that you will need. For example a Star Bucks in Coconut Grove would do quite well. The high density of pedestrian traffic is a plus for them because most people go to a Star Bucks even though they wouldn’t necessarily go to this one. However the parking situation at the grove illustrates that people going to the grove because they want to be in the Grove rather than going to the Grove to shop. A Star Bucks could not survive with out its high level of notoriety. What I’m trying to say is that what you should specifically want is a high-density location with free parking if you want to attract and keep new clients.

“For one: if im really trying to cross over to other elements of pop culture, im mostly selling trades, i figure. A full arc at a better price with no ads, stands a better chance than the bags & boards that mainstream consumers arent attracted to.”

“using that kiosk idea, we could havea full catalog, ordering system (tying into customer service, natch) and pay less for space with a good, ventiallated storage unit nearby.”

How about some sort of delivery service and a membership program. Offer a delivery service like the ones Amozon has and then one up them by compiling orders and offering discounted member rates and rewards. Also blow them away by offering the membership for free like best buy is doing right now. I have to spend $250 dollars just to get a $5 gift card with them. This isn’t a great deal but I won’t be buying any thing from circuit city because I, like most people, like to think that I working towards something or even getting something for nothing.

More to come and hopefully it won’t be as rushed.

even if you show it, let's say, just for the sake of a social gathering?

How big a group, what's the nature of the social gathering/what's the venue, will you be selling anything, so on and so forth.

i.e. if its just you and some friends, dandy.

But be careful, no advertisement, such as fliers (not because you might get caught, but but because it gives it a public connotation... just to be safe). It would also be better not to do it during normal business hours for the store (not that you probably would, that would possibly cut into work, leaving the register and entrance to the store unwatched: a thief's dream) because once again with the dangerous connections.

Sorry. Was an anime club officer at UTA for several years. This was some of the shit we had to deal with.

Carnival of Souls, Night of The Living Dead and Dementia 13 are all public domain. Halloween would be a carefree time for Hondo's Comics....

True, public domain movies would be no problem. :sad:

I need to see Night of The Living Dead at some point. Its sad that I've seen all the others, but only bits and pieces of the first one.

Archived