Hondo's Bar

Rory Gallgher

alive she cried

• 10 months later...

man, was i a nagging bitch in my early days? (that's rhetorical)

that aside, everybody should give the man a chance, and i'm not the only one who thinks this

"Playing on stage with him in LA was one of the biggest thrills for me ever." Slash (Guns N' Roses)

"It was all about him playing the guitar, it got into your soul." Cameron Crowe (Writer/Film Director)

"Rory is probably the single guitarist who meant the most to me." Tom Guerra, guitarist of Mambo Sons

"One of the things that was crucial for me I got from Rory Gallagher, which was the idea of, like, being a guitar player for life and living it." Johnny Marr (The Smiths/ The The/ Electronic/ Johnny Marr and the Healers/Modest Mouse)

"Rory's death really upset me. I heard about it just before we went on stage, and it put a damper on the evening. I can't say I knew him that well, but I remember meeting him in our offices once, and we spent an hour talking. He was such a nice guy and a great player." Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin

"So these couple of kids come up, who's me and my mate, and say 'How do you get your sound Mr. Gallagher?' and he sits and tells us. So I owe Rory Gallagher my sound." Brian May (Queen)

"Rory's death is a tragic loss of a great musician and a very good friend." Van Morrison

"An uncompromisingly serious musician" The Times, 16 June 1995

"In the 70s he built himself a reputation as a live performer of tremendous vitality." "He was even headhunted to join The Rolling Stones." Niall Stokes (Editor, Hot Press)*

"The man who got me back into the blues." Eric Clapton

*this is very true, he was asked to join the stones but turned them down because he did'nt want to be a superstar, money did'nt matter that much. he just wanted to be able to live a normal life aswell play his music.

just listen

Archived