Hondo's Bar

SoF's Chicken Curry

soldier of fortune

So, after all my bitchin to get this place open, i'm gonna post my take on chicken curry.

Cut up the chicken into cubes and season with Salt/Pepper to taste, and leave in fridge for 2 hrs before you start to cook

Prepare the vegetables

Chop

3 onions

225g of Mushrooms

3 peppers (red, green and yellow)

Grate 1inch of fresh root ginger

4 cloves garlic (crushed or sliced)

Fresh chillies (4 for medium to hot)

To cook, firstly in a large pot, melt on medium heat ¼ pound of butter (kerry gold), when melted add one at a time in the following sequence and stir in

Chopped Onions

Mushrooms

Peppers

Garlic

Ginger

Chillies

Leave to cook for a minute or two, then add 3 tins of chopped tomatoes, and bring back to simmer.

Now add individually and stir in

2 teaspoons of Madras Curry Powder

Chillie Powder to taste if fresh chillies not available

Ground Cumin as per jar

Ground Coriander as per jar

Ground Ginger (if fresh not available)

Tumeric as per jar

Optional pinch of paprika & cayenne pepper

2/3 teaspoons of mango chutney (sharwoods Bengal spice if available)

Cook for 5 mins, stirring continuously

Then add the chicken, stir in, cook on strong simmer for at least 30 mins, stirring regularly. Then reduce to low simmer.

5 minutes before servings add Garam Masala as per jar, and fresh coriander leaves.

Ideally cooked the day before needed, then reheat slowly.

Serve with Boiled Rice, Side Garnish of freshly sliced onion, cucumber, and tomato, Sprinkle fresh coriander over top

Optional, Naan Breads, or Pitta Breads.

Enjoy, cos thats what i had for dinner today!

Wash down with cobra beer

Everything sounds good except for the tomatoes.

I love tomatoes, usually, but I find they get in the way of the flavor of curry.

I agree, but in this recipe you can't really taste em.

I use the chopped tomatoes, in cartons, they're great, and not too watery.

Also meant to mention, this recipe is good with Beef or Lamb, or if your veggie, just leave the meat out altogether.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

im not the biggest on onions unless they are fine, and peppers n mushrooms tend to overpower the meals I eat with them in it... but that curry sounds tasty as hell.

I tried pumpkin chicken curry at a shady chinese place once, and it was gasp ...good

• 1 month later...

I wonder safe it would be to have SoF make and some how preserve curry to ship it to us?! Then we could try the super cool curry, hehe!

Cj's curry is indeed a delicious marvel for the stomach. And let me tell you - this batch wasn't even apples compared to the past couple of batches!! Srsly.

Archived