Hondo's Bar

Most Relaxing/Stress-Reducing Music

Acalis

Didn't wanna divert from Lorelei's "Most Depressing Music" thread, so I started my own. Share your thoughts on the most relaxing or stress-reducing music you like to listen to.

I particularly like "Drops of Life" by The New Gillenium. It has that "Japanesque" feel to it.

You can listen to it or even download it on Newgrounds.com

The New Gillinium - Drops of Life

yeah, but its perfect for a poker game most times, i find.

really relaxing shit for me also often includes Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue", Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" and pretty much anything by Sade.

no doubt there's some good tracks there; i use a lot of Final Fantasy piano soundtracks as well (VIII and X's in particular were great, i thought) and for my money, Mitsuda's "Creid" (the excellent music from Xenogears, done celtic) is as good as it gets from game music.

yeah, but its perfect for a poker game most times, i find.

really relaxing shit for me also often includes Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue", Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" and pretty much anything by Sade.

NZA and his entry level jazz

no doubt there's some good tracks there; i use a lot of Final Fantasy piano soundtracks as well (VIII and X's in particular were great, i thought) and for my money, Mitsuda's "Creid" (the excellent music from Xenogears, done celtic) is as good as it gets from game music.

Oh yeah FF-X definitely! I even downloaded the music from the city of Luca as an MP3. It has a nice jazzy yet relaxing beat to it! I love to play it in the background whenever I play Coffee Tycoon on my PC, cuz it sounds like something nice to hear in the background when you're just chilling at Starbucks.

NZA and his entry level jazz

haha, its true - i got introduced with Kind of Blue like many others but i cant help returning to it. shit just works. i got the complete columbia recordings of his work with Coltrane and it gets heavy rotation, but i gotta admit my favorites.

and yeah MH, Chrono Cross was solid too, Time's Scar (theme) still has a great effect over me when i hear it, makes me go wander outside and shit, even through the parking lot. heh.

haha, its true - i got introduced with Kind of Blue like many others but i cant help returning to it. shit just works. i got the complete columbia recordings of his work with Coltrane and it gets heavy rotation, but i gotta admit my favorites

well I'm not denying A Love Supreme or Kind of Blue are brilliant albums. Kind of Blue is the best selling jazz album ever for a reason. Modal jazz (as they call it), is extremely dope. I mean both those albums are dedicated to God, and sound like they were made in heaven, there's no denying that. 'trane himself was trying to talk to God through a lot of his music, especially that album, but I'm not gonna bore you with my useless jazz knowledge.

As you know 'trane went crazy and started doing that free jazz shit. To be honest, I wouldn't dare say you give that stuff a go. Ornette Coleman's "the shape of jazz to come" is the album to pursue if you want to extend your jazz collection. I'm not even sure I can sum up how influential this album is. I guess it was just so shocking at the time, because it had no chord structure, and that whole simultaneous improvisation going on. I'm not saying this isn't an enjoyable album, because it is. What Coleman did was leave out chord-playing instruments. I can't believe that album was only made in '59. It sort of goes melody-mental bridge-improvised sax solo-improvised percussion-melody again. Now you're probably thinking that's like most bebop, but hell, I'm telling you, this shit has no chord structures what-so-ever. You don't exactly need to be a blue note expert to enjoy that album either

ornette_coleman_shape_of_jazz_to_come.jpg

Ornette Coleman - Lonely Woman

As to stay on-topic with this thread, apart from that chillout electronica stuff like Boards of Canada, jazz has to be one of the best chillouts. If you've got the musical IQ for it, then sure by all means avant-garde/free jazz is dope, but that joint "Blue In Green" off of Kind of Blue has to be in my top 10 chillout songs ever.

Miles Davis - Blue In Green

Jazz piano stuff (and organ. nd: herbie hancock) is beautiful to chill to as well. Especially stuff by Bill Evans - of whose name you'll at least recgonise from Kind of Blue. Waltz for Debby, Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Conversations With Myself, all brilliant jazz piano right there, and gorgeous chillout music. If I want to chillout to vocals then I'd probably stick on [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_Mister_Kelly%27s=]Sarah Vaughan's[/url] "At Mister Kelly's", which is a live album. Vaughan is said to have one of the most wondrous voices of the 20th century, and if you've ever heard that album - even the way she forgets her lines in some places - you'd totally agree.

Image:Atmisterkellys.jpg

Sarah Vaughan - Willow Weep For Me

man, that vaughan one makes me again wish we had a decent jazz lounge in this city. i dont care if it was covered in smoke; id pay too much for drinks and hang there anytime.

gonna go get her album you mentioned there.

man, that vaughan one makes me again wish we had a decent jazz lounge in this city. i dont care if it was covered in smoke; id pay too much for drinks and hang there anytime.

gonna go get her album you mentioned there.

yeah, brilliant album. i'd of loved to be there, even the slightest cough or the sound of a glass or whatever would be your very own contribution to the album. so much better than ella fitzgerald

Ben plays this ambient stuff on his PC at home, I'm going to have to ask him what it is because it's very relaxing.

My friend turned me on to this album a few months ago and I just put it on when I've been stressing too much @ work: Another Day on The Terrace.

If you DL it on iTunes for like $12, you get 4 versions of the album...

The album I have that Aarty's talking about is called Electric Calm Vol. 3

I like some electronica/trance to relax/sleep to, and also laid back Reggae like Bob Marley, Capleton, etc.

Archived