Hondo's Bar

Batman: Arkham Asylum

The NZA

gibatman1.jpg

So, EA's sleeping on the details of their Batman: Dark Knight game, but this forthcoming project from Eidos crept out, and...holy shit, just check out the details so far.

Announced today by the folks at Game Informer, Batman: Arkham Asylum is a new title currently in development at Rocksteady Studios (Urban Chaos: Riot Response), which will be published by Eidos. Why the different publishers? EA only have the rights to the movies, while Eidos have a deal to make games based on the Batman comics. Hence this game, which GI describe as being "reminiscent of Bioshock".

With a story written by Paul Dini, and art by the team at Wildstorm comics, the game will be set exclusively in and around Arkham Asylum, which has been taken over by the Joker. The asylum will be a contained, persistent location, making the game feel more like Riddick or BioShock than other more recent, more open-world superhero titles. The Joker's not alone, either: because they hold the comics license, Batman will also be up against the Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Penguin, Harley Quinn, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy and more.

Gameplay won't just be about combat, either. Batman's a detective, see, so there'll be investigative work (puzzles, etc) to be done as well, including extensive use of what sounds a lot like Metroid Prime's scanning system. When combat is used, the emphasis will be on stealth and speed, and the game will only use three buttons: attack, stun and throw. Oh, and there'll be boss battles too, some with a focus on combat, others playing out more like a Zelda boss battle, as you use particular tech or gadgets to bring them down.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is due for release sometime in 2009, and will be appearing on PS3, 360 and PC.

Leaked from here. Christ, the whole thing's bold-worthy. So they namedropped 2 great titles for environment, unleashed the bulk of the rogue's gallery, and went the extra mile to remember what so many forget - that the goddamn batman's a detective - and included those elements, which i guess are Metroid Prime-like but im thinking more Condemned so far.

I dont mean to start the hype train early, but this formula has a lot of win to it.

I know, no one's remembered that since - yeah I'll say it again - the animated series. Though I was happy that The Dark Knight actually had a few bits where Batman used his noggin instead of his biceps, though most of the incidents were just good intuition and not really detective work.

Well batman is a ninja but thats not the point.

It does sound cool but I dislike the fact it will be held to just Arkham. IMO Gotham is a big a part of the Batman mythos as anything and a GTA style game and environment(without shooting hookers) I always felt would be best. It's also curious they keep referencing FPS(Bioshock, Riddick and Metroid) I wonder if that means anything.

Personally, i dont need every batman game to be sprawling over Gotham so i'm happy with this angle. i do hope gunsmith's notion of the FPS references is just that, and again, more to do with the environment.

didnt know batman begins was any good; id been wary after rise of tzu or whatever, and also havent enjoyed one since the SNES beat-em-up.

Personally, i dont need every batman game to be sprawling over Gotham so i'm happy with this angle. i do hope gunsmith's notion of the FPS references is just that, and again, more to do with the environment.

didnt know batman begins was any good; id been wary after rise of tzu or whatever, and also havent enjoyed one since the SNES beat-em-up.

Well if it was Riddick style, that could actually work, but I think I would prefer it if it was 3rd person for sure.

Batman is a ninja because Frank Miller really wanted him to be. I don't know why all his other choices get criticized but Batman being anything but a big albeit sneaky ripped detective is a-okay. Granted I don't want him to be sharing a bed with a 12-year-old either but the original Batman (the one that lasted all of like 12 issues I think) was class.

And the sandbox environment doesn't really work well with super heroes. Sure Spider-Man 2 was fun, but then you beat all the story missions and it was boring as shit. Same went with Ultimate Spider-Man. And FPS beat-em ups don't really work well when somebody is actually stupid enough to try it. Likely it will be in 3rd person with a possibility to slip into 1st person ala Ratchet and Clank/GTA/etc.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

shit. i was planning on just borrowing this offa bish whenever he's done slobbering over it, but this might warrant a purchase. Conroy's voice really added what i felt was missing, too.

on a side note, how much would they have to pay you to be an Arkham CO? i mean seriously. ii bet they dont even have insurance, with that mortality rate.

• 2 months later...

CE details!

batman_aa_ce.jpg

Remember that extra pricey Batman: Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition we told you about last month? You know, the one with the Batarang? Well, here it is, old chum, in all its bat-glory.

The official Batman: Arkham Asylum Facebook presence gives us a bat-peek at the game-accurate bat-bonus, a 14" Batarang—with stand, to possibly prevent throwing. It also showcases a bat-shaped case in which all your goodies, the "Arkham Doctor's Journal," the bonus Challenge map, game disc and bonus disc, will all be bat-contained in.

For $99 bat-bucks, this thing isn't exactly on our Dick Grayson-caliber budget. Maybe some wealthy orphan will take us in as his young ward and buy us one.

for 79 bucks I'd very likely get one but at 100 it's a harder sell, that said, dispite my early reservations at the game(bat games never got well) this game looks like it just might be pretty good and I can't wait to get my grubby paws on it(I still want my gta style gothem though)

so how long before someone maims someone else with that batrang and then sues em?

i dont know, those batarangs george & i got at megacon years back could easily kill a man and it somehow hasnt happened, yet.

that said, didnt some kid fuck up his finger in a classic NES R.O.B. unit in the day? you might have something here.

Archived