Hondo's Bar

World War Z: The Movie

Things I must have that I missed from the Audio Book:

Grown feral child reenacting the incidents surrounding the last time she saw her mother.

Story where the Indian dude rushes into a mob of zombies to manually set off a bomb.

Interview with the guy in Antarctica who created the "vaccine" Phalanx.

Paris catacombs clean up squad.

Japanese guy who was obsessed with the internet, hooks up with the blind guy and becomes a badass.

The dog handler.

The Russian priests who became the official murderers to prevent the suicides of infected soldiers.

The Russian decimations.

The Film maker who did "Hammer of the Gods".

I was waiting for all of those, and they never showed. Kinda pissed me off.

If I can get Dune unabridged, why the fuck can't I get WWZ?

• 1 year later...

This

After a few years spent in development hell, Paramount Pictures and director Marc Forster may be pushing forward with their plans to adapt Max Brooks' World War Z into a feature film. With Brad Pitt having already been locked in as the star, the trades reports that Mireille Enos is circling the role of his female counterpart. Enos has been on a roll recently, having earned her own AMC show ("The Killing") after a few years of co-starring in HBO's "Big Love."

With Forster likely beginning production as soon as possible to meet their 2012 summer release plans, the Quantum of Solace director would be tackling the project based on a screenplay by J. Michael Straczynski and Matthew Michael Carnahan, with the latter recently coming on board to perform some rewrites.

Plot Concept: Based on the Max Brooks best-selling novel about a worldwide infestation of flesh-eating zombies, Brooks -- the son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft -- wrote a detailed tale in which a researcher for the U.N. Postwar Commission interviews survivors from countries all over the world, 10 years after the crisis, to gather a first-person post-mortem on a war that obliterated every country on the map. Brad Pitt has been set to play a U.N. researcher while Enos would potentially play his wife.

World War Z will hit theaters Summer 2012.

Yeah, I remember the guy the interviewed people, but he was more of a vehicle to bring the reader to each story. I can understand that they want to make more use of Brad Pitt (especially considering how much he probably cost), but how necessary is the character beyond just being there? The important parts are the stories in each chapter.

• 5 months later...

Me no rikey

Veteran actor David Morse is joining the cast of World War Z.

Morse - hired by director Marc Forster - typically plays the part of an unforgiving authority figure but has shifted gears for this role. Indeed, Morse will play a convict left alone in a jail after the guards and most of the other inmates are dead.

Production of the film has already kicked off, so the casting of Morse is a relatively late decision. This means the studio either changed up the script a bit, or simply hadn’t yet decided who could take the role, waiting to see how other parts of the film looked first.

Either way, the addition implies the role of Morse won't be a particularly big one.

The original novel tells the story of a journalist making an effort to document The Zombie War.

He travels around to important parts of the war, conducting interviews with witnesses and experts.

The film has altered the original storyline by placing the protagonist before the war, who uncovers dangerous things and races against time to stop a zombie apocalypse.

Although this decision caused some controversy amongst hardcore fans, the novel wasn't exactly mainstream, so the furor really hasn't been very loud at all.

The cast of World War Z is led by Brad Pitt, and also stars Matthew Fox (Jack from LOST) and Mirelle Enos (Jodeen from Big Love). The film will hit theaters on December 21, 2012.

Fucking novel can't be mainstream until it becomes a goddamn movie apparently

Goddamn it. Fuck 'em.

What this guy said. If the novel is so "underground" , they need to just change the name of the film. It seems like it LITERALLY has nothing to do with anything that sets the book apart from generic zombie shit.

This might be a cool zombie movie, but it sure as fucking shit aint WWZ.

FUCK 'EM INDEED!

• 8 months later...

So the movie has been pushed back to from Dec 2012 to June 2013, even though the film was supposed to be in the can. It's supposedly terrible and they are gonna do 7 weeks of reshooting and they are having the script rewritten. If I'm to understand things correctly, 7 weeks of reshooting for a Hollywood flick basically means they are scrapping a lot, if not most, of the current cut they have. So evidently, completing scrapping the interesting narrative form of piecing together an oral history of the zombie war through a series of interviews with those that survived it, and instead just telling a generically terrible Hollywood action disaster movie, wasn't the smartest call and is going to cost the studio a lot of money, making it very unlikely that it will actually recoup its budget even if it makes in the ball park of $400M worldwide.

Every year, the quality of the stories in Hollywood movies gets worse and worse (as a whole, there are still lots of great movies), and the quality of stories on TV gets better and better (again, as a whole, there's still a lot of terrible TV). It really makes you wonder what the relationship between TV and films will look like in, say, 20 years.

I actually just read this article which is basically pointing out reasons why the Avengers was so good, and that it had alot to do with Whedon being very TV oriented. I really hope they can pull this off.

On another note regarding the book (I can't find a good link anywhere for this, but it's popped up on my FB feed and twitter stuffs) they are recording new actors, including Nathan Fillion who just finished a chapter, to complete an unabridged version of the audiobook. If anything, we'll get a cool radiocast type thing.

I say again: fuck 'em. I've lost all interest. This film is doomed. Doomed!

I think the word you are looking for is dead. They can't un-fuck a mess this big, the best they could manage is to make it mediocre instead of actively terrible. Even if they just re-shoot the whole damn movie unless they change its pay-grade up to R it's going to be worthless anyhow.

Don't know about worthless. If they stop trying to make it focus on one person (Brad Pitt), that'd help a bit.

See, that's not even the problem. The book had a main character, it was the journalist giving all these interviews but Brooks just kind of let him sit back and listen. He's getting things second-hand. Think of the double-narrative in The Princess Bride with Peter Falk and Fred Savage, that was where the protagonist came in, not in the action proper like they decided that Pitt should be.

• 1 month later...

Maybe they haven't asked him? He might have all these uppity ideas about "adapting the actual book" that simply aren't profitable.

That sounds likely. This movie sounds more "loosely based on" the book each time I hear something. Fuck the movie.