Hondo's Bar

Hondo's hits the Gym 200(X)

The NZA

ill be honest: i dont know some of it. but if i heard tik tok at my respective gym, id lose motivation.

my last gym, this one guy would just let the radio play fucking "tonighit's gonna be a good night" 4 times an hour and id work out sloppy just to go home if i didnt remember to bring my ipod. ugh.

you & jay should keep us updated here on your progress, though. jax is currently brewing beer in this round little baby-keg, and everytime i touch it, i think of jay.

I've was just thinking last week of making a thread for our work out playlists. I've been fiddling with a few. These are all for running:

The Polyphonic Spree - Section 9 (Light & Day/Reach for the Sun)

Queen - Princes of the Universe

The Time - Jungle Love

Joe Esposito - You're The Best

Ben Folds Five - Julianne

Ben Folds Five - Philosophy

Cheap Trick - Ain't That A Shame (Live at Budakon)

Bruce Springsteen - Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

Green Day - King for a Day/Shout (Live)

Santa Esmeralda - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (Full Version)

well, his list had The Time. mine did not, so his is winning in that regard.

yeah, id not share my playlist..for one, its eclectic enough to get mocked by somebody, for another its a mood thing. additionally, newbies and the macho/grunting types at the gym seem to go for harder LETTHEBODIESHITTHEFLOOR type shit, whereas i can dig it but its not a necessity. when i get my routine down, ill fair quite well with soul/classic R&B, mellow techno/jazz-rap, lottsa different genres. as long as ive got adequate sleep, the music's more about focus and breathing than getting me hyped. oh yeah, and blocking out the radio/conversation/etc.

newbies and the macho/grunting types at the gym seem to go for harder LETTHEBODIESHITTHEFLOOR type shit, whereas i can dig it but its not a necessity. when i get my routine down, ill fair quite well with soul/classic R&B, mellow techno/jazz-rap, lottsa different genres.

I just don't see how that could possibility be better than the BEP's Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night...on loop...forever.

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 1 month later...

its still an awful song

getting together with duads next week, looking to change my shit up. ive upped my caloric intake on most days a week to around 3,000 (a significant increase for my endomorphic build), and while ive seen about a five pound gain, my body fat % must be in the 20's and way too high for my liking, plus having to all but abandon cardio feels like absolute shit. truth is, the more i study/research, the more this kind of body/massbuilding workout without steroid use is neither efficient nor practical for my goals.

years ago, duads drew up a new circuit-training type workout that diverted from the standard isolation-type motions, and while i either lost or stayed at the same weight, i did get stronger. once i started working out regularly with Eli & bishop, though, i went back to the default (chest/tricep one day, back/bicep another, legs, etc). ive done this off and on for years now, even switching it up occasionally to shock my system, but over the years ive realized its not ideal.

for a while now, but duads & older hondonian kee have said my goal/build would greatly benefit from Crossfit, a system used by military (and sometimes fire) types. says wiki:

CrossFit is a strength and conditioning fitness methodology that promotes broad and general overall physical fitness. CrossFit combines weightlifting, sprinting, and gymnastics. CrossFit says that proficiency is required in each of ten fitness domains: cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, agility, balance, coordination, and accuracy. It defines fitness as increased work capacity across all these domains and says its program achieves this by provoking neurologic and hormonal adaptations across all metabolic pathways.

CrossFit athletes run, row, skip, climb rope and carry odd objects. They frequently move large loads long distances quickly, using powerlifting and Olympic weightlifting techniques. CrossFit athletes also use dumbells, gymnastics rings, pull-up bars, and many body weight exercises.

i always liked the idea of a workout built more on gymnast/parkour type motions than bodybuilders, as im not looking for showy bulk that doesnt function/work as aerobic strength when need be. from what ive seen of their workouts, there's a lot of body-weight movements: tons of push-ups, pull-ups, air/weightless squats and such. very much looking forward to giving this a try/incorporating it, ill post back on how it goes.

its still an awful song

getting together with duads next week, looking to change my shit up. ive upped my caloric intake on most days a week to around 3,000 (a significant increase for my endomorphic build), and while ive seen about a five pound gain, my body fat % must be in the 20's and way too high for my liking, plus having to all but abandon cardio feels like absolute shit. truth is, the more i study/research, the more this kind of body/massbuilding workout without steroid use is neither efficient nor practical for my goals.

so your saying it's time to ROID RAGE!!!!!! ?

that would be the decisive way, yeah. but im saying i'm rethinking my shit: duads was right, if i can bench 250 at 160 lbs, i shouldn't put such priority on gaining another 10 for the sake of doing so. again, im halfway there right now but with too much body fat, i need to do this the right way to build/maintain lean mass. i could get my ass up above 170 on a rigorous mcdonalds diet, but what good would that shit do? i need to be able to comfortably move up stairs & such with my bodyweight + someone else's, not simply lift plates over my chest.

i got no doubt it does, and guys i know that've used em have said even a six week stack would meet my goals of lean-mass if done right...but they woudln't come cheap, and if i could get where i want on a system i could maintain/ease into a maintenance workout afterwards, that would prolly be better than just a few shots in the ass of super soldier serum*.

*i told myself years ago if i ever did stack, id so call it this

• 4 months later...

Nick let me know how that CrossFit regime goes for you. I too am not looking to bulk up a huge amount but rather improve what I've got. I don't really want to sacrifice cardio in order to put on weight as, like your situation, I'd just be putting it on for the sake of it. I'm perfectly healthy at my current weight and my body fat % is right where I need it. If it goes below 12% I'll start to worry but surprisingly its closer to 15%.

Did a ten mile run today and I gotta say I surprised myself. I ran the whole damn thing. With my ashen grey smokers lungs and all. Did it in just under two hours according to the race clock but I'll get my exact chip time online in a few days. Probably closer to 1:50. Downside is my legs are fucked now. Kinda worried I have a wierd gait or an imbalance of some kind because I seem to favour my left leg without even thinking. Definitely have to check that out in case it becomes a problem later on. Even more so seen as I'm doing the half-marathon next month. Not decided on the proper Dublin Marathon in October but its a possibility.

You're not one of those guys on summer days that sit outside the pub all topless are you?

My take on exercise has always been sport. Can't think of many solo sports and people just tell me that I'm not doing my body any good unless I use gym machines etc

Nick let me know how that CrossFit regime goes for you. I too am not looking to bulk up a huge amount but rather improve what I've got. I don't really want to sacrifice cardio in order to put on weight as, like your situation, I'd just be putting it on for the sake of it. I'm perfectly healthy at my current weight and my body fat % is right where I need it. If it goes below 12% I'll start to worry but surprisingly its closer to 15%.

Did a ten mile run today and I gotta say I surprised myself. I ran the whole damn thing. With my ashen grey smokers lungs and all. Did it in just under two hours according to the race clock but I'll get my exact chip time online in a few days. Probably closer to 1:50. Downside is my legs are fucked now. Kinda worried I have a wierd gait or an imbalance of some kind because I seem to favour my left leg without even thinking. Definitely have to check that out in case it becomes a problem later on. Even more so seen as I'm doing the half-marathon next month. Not decided on the proper Dublin Marathon in October but its a possibility.

good luck man, that's awesome on those runs.

just bear in mind: you're going to drop weight. with a low body fat %, what do you think your body starts digesting...? aerobic cardio + strength building can be done, but even gaining lean mass while doing so is damn near impossible unless you're very hardcore about your diet/intake. it's really not ideal, but if your goals are for a marathon and you're prepared to shed, you should be good.

i did a bit of Crossfit, and it's a good system, but i'm gonna try it more seriously sometime next year after hitting around my ideal weight. i've implemented a few things i picked up from it in my workout (anaerobic stuff), but to give you an indication of the regiment (changes each day, you gotta check crossfit.com for today's workout, for example), the other dude who took the program entrance test with me collapsed, and he used to be a runner. shit's intense!

don't sleep on gym machines, though. i'm doing a lot right now with mostly just dumbells, but there's plenty of exercises i can't get done without certain setups.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please make a joke about solo sports? It's been a day.

I see no pick ups, sorry sir. This is why ASC called Baytor as funniest and I voted you

I'm getting all Gunnery Sgt Hartman in this bitch, because I'm sick the fuck of paying for a gym membership I haven't used since about April, and of not fitting into some shirts that I really fucking like. Saturday the pain begins anew, and down the track I might consider riding the 22km or so each way to my work.

okay maybe that's pushing it. BUT MOAR CARDIO!

• 2 months later...

In the interest of full disclosure, I have purchased - and used - EA Sports Active 2. Today I burned over two hundred calories, and my body hurts. I'm hoping that all the presence of a trainer with all the anonymity of computers and all the allure of trophies will see me though this whole workout thing.