Hondo's Bar

Hondo's hits the Gym 200(X)

The NZA

that's cool, man..i've always been curious about such programs. i was told wii sports wasn't what people'd hoped, but yahve (for one) lost a fair amount of wait by playing DDR hardcore, so i know it can be done. be sure to post any results you get, bearing in mind your diet/sleeping habits as well.

ive recently returned to my old gym, so i'm stepping things back up but finding that my cardio feels like an all-time low, so im running with sen tonight and at least a few times a week to pick it up again. i'd really like to hit @ my target weight goal and then give some elements of crossfit a valid go/incorporate them into my workouts more thoroughly.

• 3 weeks later...

God help me, at times I feel I'm too fat to breathe properly. Machine tells me to breathe in and out according to the strain/release of the rep, but I'm gasping for oxygen constantly once things get started.

I've got two more workouts to go before I've finished the first phase of the game's nine week program. I haven't lost weight, so much as I've increased muscle strength. It isn't a scientific observation, but rather, it's less of an effort to push through what the game asks me to do. When I visited my girlfriend, I ran up one of the hills in San Fran because the bus driver felt like getting a snack and I didn't much feel like waiting for him, and when I got to the top I was out of breath, but not sore.

To be honest, I'm happy with how I feel I'm progressing. Weight loss can come later, after I've built up strength.

im in. I just got back from chicago.. feelin fat as a @!#%!#$ and a !#$!#!)#%!)#%)!**@#* the first 20 lbs are always the easiest to lose... I'll post my starting weight here tomorrow. every week I'm going to post my weight on Saturday.

however I need a reminder to help me stay in the gym..

any incentive ideas?

Mal - what kinda routine has the game had you on, exactly? trainers ive been friends with've told me weight loss is some strength (for toning/condition) and a lotta cardio, nothing less than 30-45 minutes, as early in the day as possible (best before breakfast to keep your metabolism burning all day), after a solid night's rest with little carbs the night prior. makes sense you're not as sore, though: if i continue bench pressing, it'll just get easier/a lot less sore through muscle repetition more than anything.

iceman - incentive?

• 2 weeks later...

It combines cardio and a series of strength exercises. Today was mostly about my legs, which sucks, but I did upwards of eighty lunges in addition to running, skipping with a pretend rope, and maybe 50-60 squats, divvied up among a number of different variations and methods. Other days it has me doing cardio boxing, using a resistance band for arm stretches, and any number of other things. But mostly, it's just a lot of different exercises for different muscle groups. I'm not looking to lose weight, persay, but I think it's still having an effect.

that's actually pretty good, i think. ive hit about my target weight goal, so for next year's resolution, im looking to work in more Crossfit stuff into my regiment, kinda like what you're talking about there (anaerobic cardio + strength training, not focusing on any 1 particular muscle group).

• 1 year later...

So, since this seems to be the only thread for workout playlists, I figured I'd post this here. Stic.man (from Dead Prez) put out a concept album last year called The Workout. It's an album recorded and put together for listening to while working out.

wpid-Stic_2011_The_Workout.jpg

Listened to it today while working out and I dug it. I'll see if it has staying power by continuing to listen to it during workouts to see if I get tired of it.

• Upvote 1

finally got around to that tape, excellent call jax - thanks again man!

And since I'm getting into the habit of recommending shit to you from genres and mediums you know much more about than I do, I have a graphic novel to lend you next time I see you. I'm betting good money with myself that you've never read it or heard of it.

• 1 month later...

I assume this is the go-to thread for journalling ones fitness goals/regime. At the moment I'm surprising myself with how I've been sticking to high-intensity, bodyweight stuff. Looked up a whole load of exercises I hadn't even thought of. Merely by adjusting your body position in some cases you can hit a whole different muscle group.

I'm going for a 5km obstacle course in March. Did it in November gone and it near killed me so I'm determined to be better prepared for it next time. There's a lot of roping up muddy inclines, net climbs, leopard crawls, wading through chest high water and all sorts of other horrible things. You feel like a fucking superhero after it though. There's an advanced 10k one which is basically just two circuits of the same course so I'm gonna shoot for that if I feel up to it closer to the day.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

proud of you, girly! ive never been 100% clear on the form there but yours looks good - now log it in our fitocracy group sometime!

i'm redoing my shit again lately, still kinda circuit training with a focus on large muscle/body movements and less isolated, though i have a bitch of a time keeping to that with say bicep. my corework is definitely more regular which is paying off.

it's funny on other forums where there's these like acolytes of Zyzz (RIP) on about how much they hate cardio for shedding their gains, getting back into boxing i'm kind've of the opposite mindset where anytime im too close/over 170 i'm checking for body fat % cause i need to stay lean for some goals this year.

so gym's been pretty fluid, my runs are okay (3 minute mile but struggling to keep a consistent 8 minute mile across the board...), i'm swimming a bit more and doing less stairs, trying to incorporate using the foam roller Duads got me on a while back to stay loose, but my boxing footwork is a goddamn mess and i wanna go back to the gym at tropical park soon but i really have to work on this first. my whole mindset needs to readjust, working on some of that shit tonight though.

ah, i worded it poorly, my bad - i've been doing 3 mile runs, but trying to keep an 8 minute mile average (so no more than 24 mins completed) has been kicking my ass at the pace i'm currently comfortable with - my times are typically closer to 25 minutes so far, and i'm taking a quick break at the 1 minute mile mark to do push-ups & crunches as well. i haven't really been pushing myself running, just kinda maintaining that aspect of cardio.

spoke to Tropical Park today and they've renovated the boxing gym, apparently it's a private thing now but the prices are still pretty good...i can do bagwork & such there for about $65 a year, or for $40 a month they have a boxing take on crossfit's Workout Of the Day thing with speed drills and such, trying to work on my budget to see if i can justify that in the coming months cause it sounds awesome.

ah, i worded it poorly, my bad - i've been doing 3 mile runs, but trying to keep an 8 minute mile average (so no more than 24 mins completed) has been kicking my ass at the pace i'm currently comfortable with - my times are typically closer to 25 minutes so far, and i'm taking a quick break at the 1 minute mile mark to do push-ups & crunches as well. i haven't really been pushing myself running, just kinda maintaining that aspect of cardio.

Ok, that makes more sense.

I bought a cheap recumbent exercise bike back in May.

71ntuoeENcL._SL1500_.jpg

I've been cycling 60 minutes most days (some days I do 90, or even 120 minutes), averaging about 22 mph. The bike tells me I do about 800 calories an hour, but it's not sophisticated enough to allow me to input my weight or age, so my weight and age are not taken into account. I get a wide range of numbers from websites with a calorie calculators, but most of them say I'm burning over 1200 calories per hour. I want to get an affordable watch or heart rate monitor for tracking my calorie burning, something that integrates with an iPhone would be great. Anybody here have a recommendation for a good product?