Hondo's Bar

Baytor and Panch at the (Zombie) Movies!

That movie had it's moments, but man, was it out there. It's considered a genre gem (and I can see why), but that's still not saying much. So Baytor, your zombie movie knowledge is pretty awesome! Where do you get most of your info? After being sick of hunting down zombie flicks at local video shops, I finally bought a book for some help.

BOTD.jpg

Book of the Dead. Man, this book is great. It chronicles the ENTIRE (well up until Shaun and Land) history of zombie flicks. And man, is this thing thorough. Thousands of movies are reviewed!

wait, how does that work?

alright, admittedly i never got around to seeing it, but how so? it didnt look like it was trying to follow the game any.

also, pics of these tits or they did not happen.

Basically the critics rave about it and all the "cool" horror fans talk about how bad it was, and then I watch it and go "Hey this is actually kinda good... it's actually kinda great. I'm pretty sure this phenomena only happens with niche genres though I thank its worse with SciFi than horror.

As for the latter VHS quality was the best I could do. That site also has pictures of Braindead/Dead-Alive. You should look at those too and maybe you'll want to watch it, ASS! :cheers:

EDIT: RE2 started out as being a film version of Resident Evil 3 complete with giant foam-rubber Nemesis, but as soon as they crammed Alice and her stupid Ripley-ripoff ass into the movie it became utterly ridiculous.

Edited by Iambaytor

wait, how does that work?

alright, admittedly i never got around to seeing it, but how so? it didnt look like it was trying to follow the game any.

also, pics of these tits or they did not happen.

Be back with a response soon...

That movie had it's moments, but man, was it out there. It's considered a genre gem (and I can see why), but that's still not saying much. So Baytor, your zombie movie knowledge is pretty awesome! Where do you get most of your info? After being sick of hunting down zombie flicks at local video shops, I finally bought a book for some help.

BOTD.jpg

Book of the Dead. Man, this book is great. It chronicles the ENTIRE (well up until Shaun and Land) history of zombie flicks. And man, is this thing thorough. Thousands of movies are reviewed!

Word of mouth mostly, this was my go-to place for a while it's where I found out about The Dead Next Door, Zombie, Cemetery Man, Re-Animator, and The Beyond.

Other than that it's been a lot of trial and error, imdb forums (what my version of hell will be like), and horror sites trying to pick out the hidden gems from the giant pile of shit.

On a more non-traditional zombie note. Phantasm, you seen this shit? The second one is finally coming out on DVD and I couldn't be happier (well, I could if Coscarelli would hurry up and make the fifth one before Angus Scrimm keels over of chronic oldness) they're offbeat and cheesy but I love them all the same.

Be back with a response soon...

Told ya...

Word of mouth mostly, this was my go-to place for a while it's where I found out about The Dead Next Door, Zombie, Cemetery Man, Re-Animator, and The Beyond.

Other than that it's been a lot of trial and error, imdb forums (what my version of hell will be like), and horror sites trying to pick out the hidden gems from the giant pile of shit.

Thanks for the link, man.

Trail and (lots of) error kills me, but I'm a glutton for punishment. I know all about it.

On a more non-traditional zombie note. Phantasm, you seen this shit? The second one is finally coming out on DVD and I couldn't be happier (well, I could if Coscarelli would hurry up and make the fifth one before Angus Scrimm keels over of chronic oldness) they're offbeat and cheesy but I love them all the same.

I know they're considered classics, but I haven't seen 'em yet. You know, I'm real curious on your list of owned zombie flicks...

Ask, and ye shall receive. (obviously, the link is NSFW)

Thanks for that. What beats Cemetery Man now in boobage is Zombie Strippers. Which I actually liked. What'd you think, Baytor?

ONE OUTTA FIVE??!! Man, at least a 2! Jk. Yeah, I can see why you didn't like it. It's not great, but I at least I had a good time watching it and that was good enough for me. I wanna take it to Nick's so we can all watch it in a group. I think that it'll work that way. Everyone laughing at all the ridiculousness.

I'm glad you don't have your list, cause I don't have mine either (my list is no doubt dwarfed by yours).

I swear, October is the best time of the year for horror fans.

And for chicks hoping to let their inner-whore out. I just don't get those crazy Halloween costumes. I'm not complaining, but I don't get their thinking. 'I'm not a slut, but I can dress like one for one day outta the year'. Yeah right.

Sorry, of topic.

Edited by Panch

It's a toss up really I'd say my top five in no real order are Dead-Alive/Braindead, Dawn of the Dead (original), Return of the Living Dead, Re-Animator, and Evil Dead 2. I'll eliminate Evil Dead 2 on principal that it's more of a demon movie, and it's really hard to weed out but Jeffrey Combs trumps Clu Gulagar (awesome as he is) but Re-Animator was a bit off toward the middlepoint which puts Dawn ahead of it, but I could watch Dead-Alive on continuous loop for a month so I'll have to say Dead-Alive.

Even though I LOVE the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness trilogy, I CAN'T EVER call them zombie movies. Cause, they're just not. I hate that just cause it has the word 'dead' in the title that people think it's a zombie flick. Weekend at Bernie's is more a zombie movie than Evil Dead. Anyways... my favorite zombie flick HAS TO BE Shaun of the Dead. It's just so perfect. Day, Night, Dawn (remake) round out my top 4. I can't decide on my 5th.

In the Evil Dead they're possessed corpses/people. Big difference. It's more in the realm of Excorcist or that Emily Rose movie than zombies. As far as 28 Days/Weeks Later... yeah, they're not technically zombies, but the idea of infection helps. Honestly, since the zombie genre is so filled with crap, I'll take whatever I can get in the form of awesome.

It's only given at the end. And that's still not confirmed. Like I've said before, zombie movies like to give crazy unbelievable explanations for the fear factor. To cause panic. A way of showing that we think we know what's going, but in reality have no control and are totally wrong.

according to "the zombie survival guide" anyone who is bitten, or slobbered on in some sort of fluid swapping way by an infected person becomes a zombie. So on that techincality, 28 days later is a zombie movie. The only thing it doesn't show (and please correct me if I'm wrong...which I'm sure I'm not) is the process where the infected suffers severe flu like symptoms, dies from a high fever before becomming 'reanimated'. Now i know, that true 'zombie experts' do not count 28 days later or it's sequel as zombie movies, but i have to say that it's pretty close. I would actually count that as being a zombie movie before i would Quarintine, due to the fact that it was missing one major factor involved in most zombie movies...mass outbreak and panic.

Pontypol was available for a bit online, but it's down now. Also, check OnDemand.

Edited by Dr.Girlfriend

Yeah, but Zombie Survival Guide is just Max Brook's take on things and his version doesn't even entirely mesh with his other book, let alone the creatures as a whole, it certainly doesn't mesh with Romero's version and I suppose if anything should be considered the "official" version it should be Romero's zombies seeing as he invented them and all. (I often wonder if he had actually had the presence of mind to actually copyright Night of the Living Dead would be laying on a giant stack of royalties money cackling like a madman right now?)

And if that was the case we woulda never gotten Land, Diary and that new one he's doing. Motherfucker woulda retired after Day or died of a drug/prostitute/both induced heart attack. With all these celebrity deaths lately I should shut the fuck up.