Hondo's Bar

Batman: Reborn

Batman v2 #11

The ambiguously related Bat bros. arch came to an ambiguous ending. I dug the back-up story dealing w/ Alfred's dad more so. They went a long way to make this shit plausible yet in true medium fashion really resolved nothing--Owl Boy/Bat Bro missing, zombie assassins not killed but lie dormant, Owl Society still vast and elusive. Completely meh.

This SDCC news should make Panch hard...

2012-07-12-batman_panel.jpg

The DC Comics Batman: Beyond the Night of Owls panel at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con had a few surreal moments and a lot of information on DC’s most popular character, and fans we’re treated to a good discussion with the creators, as well as some other gifts.

The panel started off with a look at Talon #0. The series revolves around Calvin Rose, the one Talon who got away from his masters in the Court of Owls. The series, co-written by Scott Snyder but mostly written by James Tynion, takes the reader through the entire DCU and is built off material that Snyder did not get to use in the Court of Owls story. Tynion was excited during the panel since he was in the SDCC crowd as little as a year ago and now he was on the other side. Art for the series is by Guillem March.

While everyone was discussing the series John Cunningham, DC’s Vice President of Marketing, interrupted the panel with a question. He didn’t actually have a question, but he was there to give everyone attending a free owl mask as worn by the Court of Owls in Snyder’s Batman series. Adding to the fun was everyone pointing out a group of fans who were already wearing their own homemade masks. The crowd was asked to wear the masks throughout the weekend, especially at any Marvel comics panels. Once all the masks were handed out, the whole crowd put on the masks, creating a very eerie moment, especially if you’ve read the story.

Snyder addressed the crowd and told them how much he and Greg Capullo appreciate the fan support for the Court of Owls story. Batman #0 is one of Snyder’s favorite stories, and he said the Gotham you see in the issue will be different that any you’ve seen before and ties into the Year One stories. Then he went into the next major story, featuring the Joker. He’s said he has been working on the story for a year and it is his love letter to the Joker. According to Snyder, The Joker sees himself as the court jester to Batman’s king. Snyder described the story as his ‘Killing Joke’ and revealed that the Joker will face off against the whole Batman family.

What? Why?!

One of my very first introductions to comics was the death of Jason Todd along with the earliest appearances of Tim Drake. The character of Robin has always had a special place in my heart because of that. I grew to love Tim Drake (and he was my favorite Robin before Damian), because of his potential to be an even better Batman than Batman. This news is upsetting. Make him a Robin for a week. Who cares! Not make him a Robin at all? I just don't get that.

This also throws a big monkey wrench into the current storyline of Batman & Robin. The utter distain that Tim and Damian have for each other. I love that dynamic! It doesn't feel that strong now. Smh.

Edited by Panch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

No word from Panch yet on the "Death of the Family" arc going on? He was in here fapping every week over "Court of Owls." Personally, I'm digging the return of the Joker much more than CoO. I've read issues 13 & 14 of both Batman & Batgirl only thus far and the Joker has already...

*Kidnapped and blinded Alfred.

*Kidnapped and mutilated Jim Gordon's wife.

*Nearly killed Jim Gordon

*Blew up (?!?!?) Nightwing.

I mean--damn.

Curious to know how the Joker found out everyone's secret identities (Batgirl's brother possibly? Batman's "brother"?), but this whole Batking motive Joker is spouting reeks of Snyder trying too hard. It's early though, so I know I may be being a bit harsh w/ that critique right now--emphasis on may be.

Anyway, it's really riveting stuff thus far. Hopefully there's a better payoff than CoO.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

SIX MONTHS LATER

2400445-batman_10_cover_1000_super.jpeg

Calling this a gamechanger is an understatement. This book just took a left turn at Holy Shit Ave. THIS is Batman.

i enjoyed it, and was glad i read your words about skipping the non-core books - arkham stuff was okay, im not gonna read birds of prey/other bat-faimly but maybe the all star western one - but the finale with his maybe-brother was kinda Loeb-esque for me, and it was a pump-fake anyway. kind've a lukewarm ending to an otherwise good event, i thought.

gonna try to catch up on this one, does Capullo come back? he's been fun since spawn, and i think i'm down until Snyder leaves at least.

• 2 months later...

Picked up the Death of the Family arc (including the leaked last issue) and finished that today. Does some cool stuff.

felt like it fell flat though. It was a good Joker story, and does some cool stuff, but it doesn't really deliver.I always liked that they kept him a semi mystery with his past and whatnot, but I was kind of excited when it looked like they might do something definitive here. Overall it was fun though.

Probably worth noting I only read the Batman stories and none of the other Batfamily ones which I hear are also pretty good.

Edited by axel_napalm

• 3 weeks later...