Hondo's Bar

Martyrs

martyrs.jpg

I'm not going to say what it's about because I think it's better going in blind but I have to say that I don't think a gorror movie has ever made me think like this one. Eli and I have been mulling over it since we watched it a few days ago. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first but the more I think about it, the more I like it and think it stands out in the genre. Also, the director is rumored to be tapped to revive the Hellraiser franchise...I really hope this is true.

As an aside, between this and Inside (ugh! most frustrating movie ever), the French are making Hostel look like a Disney movie.

martyrs.jpg

I'm not going to say what it's about because I think it's better going in blind but I have to say that I don't think a gorror movie has ever made me think like this one. Eli and I have been mulling over it since we watched it a few days ago. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first but the more I think about it, the more I like it and think it stands out in the genre. Also, the director is rumored to be tapped to revive the Hellraiser franchise...I really hope this is true.

As an aside, between this and Inside (ugh! most frustrating movie ever), the French are making Hostel look like a Disney movie.

HOLY SHIT We watched this a few months ago, and was amazed by it.

i agree! i can't stop thinking about it. i want to watch it again but with the subtitles. eli couldn't get them to work so we had to watch it dubbed and although it wasn't a bad dubbing, i prefer subs. I also want to see if i can catch anything else that i missed the first time around. i think i'll watch it with kertins and nick whenever they get around to it, though hopefully sooner than later.

oops i made this a thread. anyway, that makes 4 of us that've seen this so far, and baytor's likely not far behind. thoughts?

i like how it seemed like a short movie about a crazy traumatized chick that turned into like a Hellraiser prequel. My interest definitely went up in the 2nd half, but in the ending - went it clicked that this clearly well-made torture chamber was backed by elderly atheists & such who want a sneak preview at what's to come, regardless of cost - shit got more interesting than hostel's clientele ever did.

when the zelda (poltergeist) looking lady came along and pointed at the pictures, showing the eyes and all i thought it was just crazy talk, but the crossing-over bit got me, in that lovecraftian chuthlu youre-not-supposed-to-see-this-shit-much-less-walk-away element. so sure, they had to take a rather cute but dumb chick (why hang around the murderhouse for like a goddamn week?! were you gonna counsel lady see-no-evil now that your last pet project/lover ended so poorly or wha?!) and uh, torture then skin her ass, the payoff ending was as much fun for me as The Darkness one was, and i can totally see where LL's been dwelling on it.

so what did skinless girl tell Zelda? LL says "nothing", and while she experienced 2 and a half hours of "ecstasy" its not shown how long they talked, so it could be this. I of course think its something to horrific, you decide: fuck it, ill sit on this and off myself instead. sen kinda mentioned the possibility of "you'll get yours" but in all 3 of these scenarios, i cant imagine speeding along the process to getting there being ideal...unless again, its so horrific that living with the dread of that future is just as unbearable. the irony of this potential reality and this director possibly doing Hellraiser isnt lost on me, either.

anyway, props to the director for driving me mad by monkey's pawing this shit.

• 1 month later...

i really enjoyed this movie. nice and entertaining and different. thats all i really ask for lol. we dont get much mainstream stuff like that anymore. now we get to wait for an american counterpart thats inevitable (and really happening) and teenagers are probably gonna see and when it;s over theyll be like "i dont get it. thawasreallehstupehd" just one more to add to the likes of let the right one in, the host, oldboy, versus(more of a sequel), and Rec (still loved quarantine though).

ah, there was a fun/weird one. what was it sort've a sequel to, though?

it actually sounds cool. rather than doin an american remake, i think they decided to use america, new york im betting, as one of the 666 portals they fight at. i need to rewatch watch that one. :hulk: itll be the same director and he announced it around the time midnight meat train came out so it looks to have some promise :kotter:

The Host will probably be bad, Oldboy is not a remake but an adaptation of the actual manga and if Will Smith taps into his actual acting skills it could be alright, Let the Right One In will only be good if they get the little girl from Orphan to play Eli, and Quarantine was good until they substituted the demonic possession concept (one that was never even confirmed in the movie I might add) for a more secular plot involving rabies and a doomsday cult.

I am intrigued by the Versus idea, though.

• 11 months later...

Finally saw this(sadly the dubbed version where everyone sounds Aryan) and good fucking christ. I guess I'll be the fucking fag here and say that the fo brst half terrified the fucking fuck out of me. Raised on B-grade horrpr from an early age I've not gotten chilly off anything since I was a kid with the exception of 'The Ring' And I realise the only thing cinema can do to terrify me is

present me with writhing little people for 40 fucking minutes

. Seriously, I had to stop twice to go get a group hug. After that it got way easier. Top flick though.

Is cannibal holocaust that super-old shockfest? I think I saw that one...

upon reflection, and a night of terror/contemplation, I decided what was said was this:

nothing. if it was a positive assertion, then zelda would have shared, because say what you will about these guys, the elderly are community-minded. if it was something terrible, ie karma based or even as nza said, them getting theirs, no way she's jumping the queue or even embracing inevitability without a nod to her people. ana explains that there's nothing beyond, that this woman's monstrous lifework of torturing young women beyond mortal ken is serving no greater purpose, what the Fuck more is there to do? Take off your enormous lashes and die complete.

Read my last spoiler, stoopid. The one at the top of this page.

Seriously, I'm making everyone I know watch this and have spent all day(quite unsuccessfully) trying to insert it into conversation. I haven't had a movie give me a one-two punch of any kind in quite a while, ;et alone terror & contemplation to such degrees as this did.

Archived