Hondo's Bar

Table Top Gaming

Spycer

Chess hating (except spycer) motherfuckers!

im getting back into chess, slowly. havent played since i was a kid, but its awesome.

im so jealous of this bookstore by my brother's house, theyve this small oak table with a board designed on its top, and oversized wooden pieces in drawers on each side. i so want that thing.

it always gets back to that.if it's 'non-exploitable' it stops being 'fun' to many people.

The fact is, if you lock it down so much that someone cannot possibly cheese-monkey it, there is no wiggle room to be creative. I, as a DM, don't want to do that to my players. If they min-max, so be it, the world gets tougher and smarter to compensate, but at least they are having fun!

Sorry to bring this a little off topic, but I only had one (actively participating) experience with DnD, and games of this sort. Dowe and I were at another friend's house, who was playing DM. Since it was our first time, we were nervous (lulz, guttermind) but were told to "have fun with it!! Don't take it so seriously!" We cracked two (lame but OVERLY AWESOME jokes) and our DM got mad :( and stopped the game. We only played for about.... 20 minutes? I really want to play shit like this, but I don't want to piss on anybody's hard work or aggravate them.

We really should play some time.

The key to playing a game like that without running in to that, is to have a DM/GM/ST who knows their players. If I plan on playing a silly, slapstick comedy game, because I know you and yours joke around a lot, then cool. If you come to me and ask to play a more serrious game, you should try and stick to being serrious about gaming, since you asked for it.

It's also up to the DM not to be lame like that. :wink:

Edited by spycer

The fact is, if you lock it down so much that someone cannot possibly cheese-monkey it, there is no wiggle room to be creative. I, as a DM, don't want to do that to my players. If they min-max, so be it, the world gets tougher and smarter to compensate, but at least they are having fun!

min-maxing is still possilbe, but min-maxing does not equal 'broken'. if things are non-exploitable, that doesn't mean you cannot min max: you can. It just means you can't take advantage of loopholes to use things as they weren't meant to be used.

min-maxing is still possilbe, but min-maxing does not equal 'broken'. if things are non-exploitable, that doesn't mean you cannot min max: you can. It just means you can't take advantage of loopholes to use things as they weren't meant to be used.

I think we may have a confusion in terms here. To me, exploiting loop-holes, min-maxing, cheeze monkey-ing, munchkining... all terms for the same thing. To me the term you choose has more to do with wheather you approve of the action in question, rather than what it is. If a system is fairly ballanced, it is hard to min-max or cheeze monkey to any degree. If it is broken, you can munchkin it up.

The only real problem I have with a broken system is that if someone is NOT trying to min-max, and they end up FAR more powerful than the other players, or if one player is power-gaming and the others don't care to or don't know how. The first is something that is completely the systems fault, and would probably turn me off of a particular game. The second is fixable, by either asking said player to tone it down, or teaching the noobs how to min-max, whichever is easier or prefered.

I guess the only term that isn't always the same as the others is min-max. You can always minimize disadvantages and maxamize advantages, but the system limits to what degree. If you can't be FAR better than the other characters at your one SOMETHING, all the characters are going to be bland and generic.

We really should play some time.

The key to playing a game like that without running in to that, is to have a DM/GM/ST who knows their players. If I plan on playing a silly, slapstick comedy game, because I know you and yours joke around a lot, then cool. If you come to me and ask to play a more serrious game, you should try and stick to being serrious about gaming, since you asked for it.

It's also up to the DM not to be lame like that. :wink:

Sweet deal! Sounds like a plan.

Me and JZA went through a Risk 2210 phase. Would be nice to play more but its tough getting a group together who all know the rules. I mean its fine explaining it to people but it'd be nice to have a core few peoples with whom we could just leap right into it and have an awesome game.

I keep seeing that around, and always wanted to play it. I love traditional risk. Is it as good as I hope?

Awesome! I sent my availability.

Sweet. I assume thats both you and Seige? Who else wants to play?

Oh yes.... What game?

Edited by spycer

Comedy, for starters! If that's cool... :D <3

Alrighty. As for comedy, I have:

Tales From the Floating Vagabond

My personal favorite, this game can have nearly any character from nearly any universe, and has great skills like "swing nasty pointy things" and "stabbing fleshy things that scream and die" and "Look Good at All Times."Classic.

DnD

A more serious game, and I do stress more, as it can still be sorta slapstick silly.Involves being elves and dwarves, wizards and fighters, etc. Lots of killin things and takin their stuff so as to go kill other things.

RISUS

Called the 'anything RPG' this game consists of writing two or three things on a post-it note and starting the game. Very free form, not a lot of character statistical development, but only as much depth as you put in to it, as there is none by default.

Can-d6

Invented by a friend of mine, this game requires a bowl of wrapped candies to play. (Wrapped candies are needed as the candy changes hands several times before you eat it.) Everyone plays a 6 year old. The first game of this I ever ran was for Halloween, and the characters were Trick-or-Treating, and discovered a ghost or some such. Everyone loves acting 6 years old, so its fun!

Spirit of the Century

A simple to play, Indiana Jones style pulp game, with rewards for entertaining the group and doing things that are awesome, rather than knowing all the rules and making tactical decisions.

Big Eyes, Small Mouth

An anime game (thus the name) which incorporates nearly any setting and style. This could be played as a 'lets be in the Pokemon universe' as easily as 'lets play Gundam' so it fits whatever we want to do. Lots of action, simple system to learn and play.

Also, if any of you Hondonian's have comments on the games above, they are more than welcome, wheather you are wanting to able to play or not. Feel free to tell me I am dumb, or that we should play your game instead, whatever. 1250894598.gif

Edited by spycer

joel: george says he has a good planescape game in mind, but that you and rudy might not be down. is this true? i say we either let the dude DM a campaign of his choice and get as many (you, me, gun, newt says he'll voyeur, not sure who else?) or we run with you & your marvel thing (you've DM'd?) but let's just do one of em at your place in the next week or so, seriously.

ps we need to get the first one knocked out for a few of us so the option for a drunken tabletop night during h-con - let's call it "hot tears of shame" night - can do down.

Damn it, I wanna play!

DnD

A more serious game, and I do stress more, as it can still be sorta slapstick silly.Involves being elves and dwarves, wizards and fighters, etc. Lots of killin things and takin their stuff so as to go kill other things.

Heh. You haven't played with my group. I remember a session when we had to ambush some river pirates. We had some drunken NPC rangers and druids as backup, and the half-orcs were throwing the halfling onto the boat all while marbles and tanglefoot bags were being thrown all over the place.