Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

"The writers," as in the creator of the source material?

I think Jay was just hoping for a motion comic with live actors instead of drawings. :2T:

I thought Kirkman'd only graced one episode with his writing? Either way, my feelings on Kirkman are well documented at this point.

The world moves fast, young Haku. Here's the official press release from AMC.

The Walking Dead's Glen Mazzara, writer and executive producer, is expanding his responsibilities to assume the role of showrunner. AMC is grateful to executive producer, writer and pilot director Frank Darabont whose contributions to the success of The Walking Dead are innumerable. We continue to discuss his ongoing role with the series.

Robert Kirkman, creator of The Walking Dead graphic novels, executive producer and writer on the series, will remain in this role and will continue to steward the brand. Gale Anne Hurd will remain in her role as Executive Producer. The production continues on schedule for an October 16th premiere.

So it's possible Darabont may stick around and do...something. No one knows what that may be though, except that it most definitely will not be his old job.

• 2 weeks later...

Darabont hasn't really said anything conclusive yet, at least not from what I've been able to find. But ti seems he left b/c AMC cut the budget of the show by something like $250k per episode! That's a helluva handicap. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and speculate he quit for some noble reason like recusing himself and his director's fee would better serve the show's much more confined budget. Hopefully he collects enough on the back-end that he'll stick around in some capacity to shepherd the show for the rest of the season.

Apparently Mad Men is taking up all of AMC's money for next season as everyone's salaries on that show are going up. They also cut Breaking Bad's next season order in half. That show is in talks to move it to another network--maybe Walking Dead will do so as well.:uhm:

^^Not likely to happen though as Game of Thrones is way expensive. Hopefully S2 will blow up even bigger and AMC will see the light in terms of budget.

Just heard a radio interview done @ ComiCon 2011 w/ geek film producer extrodinaire Gale Ann Hurd. She said they'd already finished episode 4 and Darabont was already less hands on than last season. Apparently he's merely doctoring scripts from the other writers. So I honestly don't think his "departure" will have an effect on the quality of this season.

Comics Spoilers

She also mentioned Glen would be getting a girlfriend ( Herschel's farm was already seen in the preview trailer, so I'm assuming it's Maggie) and that Carl would "definitely face some challenges" this season. Cryptic, but I think we can expect something similar to the book in terms of Carl and Shane.

Edited by alive she cried
Added Comics Spoilers

New Report Says Frank Darabont was Fired from The Walking Dead: Details revealed on circumstances of Darabont's abrupt departure.

Frank Darabont's departure as showrunner from The Walking Dead was incredibly abrupt and surprising, occurring half-way through production on Season 2 of the hit AMC series. No details were given for why he had left, with AMC's senior vice president of original programming, Joel Stillerman, not going into specifics when he spoke to the press a couple of weeks ago except to confirm that Glen Mazzara, previously Darabont's number two, was now the showrunner.

Now, an in-depth new article in The Hollywood Reporter is shedding light on the subject – and it's a pretty messy situation. According to the Reporter, Darabont was fired and did not leave of his own accord. The move was as big a surprise to him as any of us, which explains why he was happily promoting the series at Comic-Con just days before he was let go.

The Reporter says that a source close to the situation tells them AMC has been "terrorizing" the cast, discouraging them from making any statements on Darabont's behalf. One inside tells the Reporter, "They're scared. They're on a zombie show. They are all really easy to kill off."

While it's still not 100% clear what led to AMC actually getting rid of Darabont, the core of the rift between Darabont and AMC seems to come from budget issues, with AMC asking for notable cuts in the budget for Season 2 and requests – such as filming half of each episode using interiors and with less onscreen zombies – that Darabont wasn't willing to make compromises on.

Apparently, at the time Daraboint was let go, one of Season 2's episode's came in with unusable footage from a director, which Darabont was working on trying to fix in the editing room – and the Reporter says AMC may have used this issue as a pretext to fire him. A source blames AMC's Joel Stillerman for having Darabont fired. Stillerman already has a strained relationship with Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner, who's had his own battles with the network. All of this is happening while AMC has also had tense negotiations with Sony over the future of Breaking Bad that led Sony to speak to other networks about picking that acclaimed series up – though it now looks like a new deal with AMC will be made.

Source: http://tv.ign.com/articles/118/1187232p1.html

Edited by Bindusara

^^Yeah, unfortunately it looks like the suits @ AMC are doing all they can to fuck things up. I'm actually a tad relieved Darabont was fired and didn't quit. I have a lot of respect for the guy and it's now restored knowing he didn't just play dumb at Comic Con then quit the show a few days later.

I also didn't realize AMC owned the show outright; so that means there's no shopping it to another TV station w/ Darabont attached next year. :???: Well, the new showrunner has the same cast and staff writers, not to mention Kirkman, so hopefully the rest of S2 comes off well.

• 2 weeks later...

*derp * derp * derp *

<object id="flashObj" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9, 0,47,0" height="388" width="456"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1"><param'>http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1"><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF"><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1125481300001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amctv.com%2Fthe-walking- dead%2Fvideos%2Fthe-walking-dead-full-throttle&playerID=83327935001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAuyCbQ~, -gfAmfm8njJ8S-9E4q2UfzG931rvkxuP&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true"><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com"><param'>http://admin.brightcove.com"><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashvars="videoId=1125481300001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amctv.com%2Fthe-walking- dead%2Fvideos%2Fthe-walking-dead-full-throttle&playerID=83327935001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAuyCbQ~, -gfAmfm8njJ8S-9E4q2UfzG931rvkxuP&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" swliveconnect="true" allowscriptaccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" height="388" width="456"></object>

• 4 weeks later...
MC has just issued a press release about the upcoming second season of "The Walking Dead" and it's a mixed bag. The good news? The season premiere has been expanded to a 90-minute episode for its October 16th bow.

The bad news? The season is being split in half with a two month break between segments. Seven episodes (including the premiere) will air over October/November. The remaining six will then kick off February 12th.

Meanwhile a recent Vulture article has gone into the various budget issues over at ABC and mentioned that this second season of 'Dead' is being produced for $2.8 million per episode, down from the $3.4 million per episode for the first season.

...shit. also, it's only 7 episodes. is it me, or was anyone else (besides AMC, clearly) expecting this show to cost a lot less? don't get me wrong, it looks high-quality, but it's not usually big on explosions (finale-be-damned), i guess i thought this'd be done a lot cheaper, even with an ensemble cast.

I'm no expert on tv/film budgets, but they've been making low cost zombie horror for decades, and even alot of the bad ones had some cool fx. A little editing could up the zombie count nicely and with Greg Nicotero as head makeup, that dude can bloody someone up cheap I would imagine. I dunno, but it does seem steep.

Quite a shock that its getting cut in half so soon to premiere also. That 2 month break sucks ass too :/

The Talking Dead

AMC announced that it will air a live show, dubbed Talking Dead, immediately after episodes of The Walking Dead. The half-hour shows will be hosted by Chris Hardwick and will premiere immediately following the encore of The Walking Dead on Oct. 16, when the new season begins. Hardwick will talk to fans, actors, producers and “TV enthusiasts,” and recap the most recent Dead episode. “This half-hour after-show gives fans the opportunity to nerd out about the story in a very public forum: what they like, what they don’t like, or what questions they may have,” Hardwick said in a statement. “Additionally, it will better inform viewers on making intelligent decisions when faced with the zombie apocalypse, which will probably happen sooner or later.”

New character cast as well. It's fairly spoilerish . . .

Michael-Zegen_240.jpg

Michael Zegen has signed on for the recurring role of Randall (nope, he’s not in the comic books, he’s a new addition to the storyline). Randall is described as a skinny Southern kid who finds himself in a rather unique set of post-apocalypse circumstances.

Well, if the episodes are an hour each minus commercials, that's like 42-45 minutes. Double that and you have the running time of a short movie for $6M, triple it and you have the running time of a longer than average movie for $9M. Does anyone think this show looks less than film quality? A movie that looks as good as this show would probably cost at LEAST $50M. just sayin'...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I wish that zombie stories would do more of the halfway between a zombie outbreak and full on apocalypse instead of someone waking up and overnight thousands of people are already dead/turned. They at least gave rick a few weeks so those gaps can be filled in nicely like above.