Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

Caught up like a boss. Man, I never thought I'd look forward to something like this so much.

LzZiR.jpg

Random speculation/food for thought

• The baby lives and CARL dies, because he's about to hit a nasty growth spurt and that's not good for shooting schedules.
  • Michonne will not be raped and Rick will not lose a hand. The TV group isn't going to be trying to make contact with the Governor's people like the comic group did.

I dunno about all this. I'm not crying for a faithful panel-by-panel adaptation, but they're kind of watering down a lot of the things I liked about the book. Most of these people don't really seem real to me, they just seem stupid. We're missing moments that harden Rick and lead him on the path of becoming the next Governor (not a spoiler (yet), just a theory), and the moments that desensitize Carl so that he can become a grim survivor instead of a burden.

There's still time though. My fingers are crossed.

I'm just gonna come out and say this, I actually like T-Dog. He's the Axel/Otis type guy that you know is going to be dead probably sometime in the next arc but you appreciate he's there because he's a hell of a lot cooler about all the shit that's going on than Rick/Whoever Rick is Fighting With This Arc is. Once you get past his "My name was invented by a white man trying to think up black guy names" name he's pretty okay.

Been meaning to catch up to this thread,

my final thoughts on the show so far-

I knew Sophia was going to have to die, two kids is one too many. Now her mom needs to go.

I love Darrel. I want to have like, ten thousand of his babies (yeah so butch bitch needs to back the fuck off mah man!).

Not Sure about Maggie and Glenn's storyline, is another love tryst what this show needs? Probably could do without it.

Andrea and Rick have totally upped their baddassery since the beginning, although i could see Andrea going out on her own and being even more bad ass and then catching up with them and leaving them again (after she finds out about Shane) i doubt it will happen (it would be too much show- it's not the Andrea show, but I'd still watch it if it were).

Yeah! Shane is dead!

I love how Carl has developed quickly from an awkward kid to a charecter who is comming into himself under his circumstances, he's a survivor, and he's going to have to be with such a lovely devoted mom. Lori wouldn't last a day without Rick, but Rick and Carl would be fine without her...and I'm sure someday they will be. Also sick of the Shane and Lori drama, glad that's over.

Hershel is just awesome, I've always liked his charecter, it's endearing. His loyalty and faults add to the dynamic that has become the new group (vs. the farm and the rick/shane/lori dramafest).

Dale was the voice of reason, the voice of the old way, or of 'democracy' so to speak. He had to go, there's no room for debate in a world full of dead people trying to kill you. the way he went (in front of Carl) was pretty epic.

Didn't see the point of them saving that kid with the fucked up leg personally, but it was good storytelling the way it was written, the group was doing a lot of dumb things that would eventually get them all killed, you'd think they'd have learned from the first season though, but it tied up nicely. I still can't believe not ONE person from the ENTIRE GROUP thought to fortify the farm somehow. Fuck condoms and shampoo and laundry, find some barbwire and dig a fucking mote or something! Giant spikes! go scounting for some dynomite or something! It really didn't make any sense to have all of those people in one place and not one of them thought of how they could protect it at least long enough to get their shit out the door without the shitfest they were all left in. A game plan for emergencies would be esential in this sort of atmosphere, and a cop (coughrickshanecough) would probably make that his priority. Not just, "lets meet on the highway". that was my biggest beef with this season. They didn't learn anything from the first one as far as long term survivial went, they found a farm and hoped for the best. No one would do that. Certiantly not an entire group of people with nothing better to do than survive.

Oh, hi Michonne. Not Gina Torres, but it could work.

Long-ass, unformatted fangirl post...which is perfectly acceptable b/c it is a motherfucker trying to squeeze in zombie watching time with two kids let alone finding time to comment on said zombie watching on Hondo's.

And we love you for it, Dr. Chikins, that we do. Commentary about the season's events and characters is especially welcome now that this thread is on the verge of becoming a meme-dump (which have been entertaining when kept in their "spoiler" houses) like almost every other thread on here.

To address some of your points, I think Dale was more specifically a voice for liberalism there in the end than democracy per se. Our currently zombie free society is a democracy and has the death penalty, which is essentially what Shane was advocating--albeit in much less eloquent terms.

And as for why no one sought to fortify the farm, I think they thought their isolation and the cattle fences were enough. And it's in human nature to often accept things as they are or appear to be, and the farm appeared to be an oasis of safety. After all, the farm kept Herschel's family safe long enough up to the point of the herd. I'm sure if the other drama (Sophia, Crazy Shane, prisoner-gate, etc.) hadn't kept them occupied, someone would've thought to begin enhancing fortifications. But that is a point the group has learned and will seek to remedy come season 3.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I'm glad nobody has chalked up the idiocy of the characters to bad writing yet. I shrugged it off as such for awhile, but am convinced that these writers are deliberately making everyone look like a giant turd. Like chikins said, there is absolutely no way any self respecting cop wouldn't come up with a decent backup plan. I hope this is just some kinda strategy to wrangle in a good audience before making these people more likable (smart).

Also, I bet Tyreese shows up as a prisoner to form some kinda ironic alliance with Rick.

And as for why no one sought to fortify the farm, I think they thought their isolation and the cattle fences were enough. And it's in human nature to often accept things as they are or appear to be, and the farm appeared to be an oasis of safety.

I see that ideology, but like Dr. Chikinz it bugged me here as well as in the comic, even with the cattle fences (which don't even hold in cattle that well) there's still areas not fenced in because people are going to want to leave so they could have at least put barbed wire around the yard. If Herschel is a farmer worth his salt then he has extra barbed wire and steel posts with which to do so. As for ditch digging I've wondered that about every location the characters have ever been in the comics, it's interesting that Rick and Co. have lasted as long as they have in either incarnation because they are comically inept at surviving.

I see that ideology, but like Dr. Chikinz it bugged me here as well as in the comic, even with the cattle fences (which don't even hold in cattle that well) there's still areas not fenced in because people are going to want to leave so they could have at least put barbed wire around the yard. If Herschel is a farmer worth his salt then he has extra barbed wire and steel posts with which to do so. As for ditch digging I've wondered that about every location the characters have ever been in the comics, it's interesting that Rick and Co. have lasted as long as they have in either incarnation because they are comically inept at surviving.

I think it's fairly ironic you should write that as the current story arc in the comics is all about how Rick thinks he and his group are such badasses at surviving the walkers and how the other humans are their only real threat. Andrea's line to Rick in the latest issue had me snickering out loud...

when she was treated like Carl and told to stay at the compound while he and Michonne did grown folks work (taking Jesus back to his camp) and she responded, "We always survive!" I was dumbstruck at how Kirkman could be either 1.) So blatuantly obvious at foreshadowing Andrea's death or 2.) Writing dialogue that so hamhandedly conveyed Andrea's inflated sense of survival.

Other question: If zombification works in this world like it does in the comics (which we've seen it does), why are their non-zombified corpses in the traffic jam at the beginning of the season?

how long was rick hospitalized again? maybe it hand't kicked in for everybody yet. again, it's clearly pretty subjective: the guys in the bar never turned, whereas you-know-who did almost instantly.

also, i don't think they just "figured out" the ditch digging thing, i think they finally have the means for it now is all.

also, i don't think they just "figured out" the ditch digging thing, i think they finally have the means for it now is all.

Shovels?

Man, they had a three-tiered chain-link fence system at the prison, that's two ditches they had ample time to dig instead of having the same goddamn conversation for 2 entire volumes.

Oh, hi Michonne. Not Gina Torres, but it could work.

And we love you for it, Dr. Chikins, that we do. Commentary about the season's events and characters is especially welcome now that this thread is on the verge of becoming a meme-dump (which have been entertaining when kept in their "spoiler" houses) like almost every other thread on here.

To address some of your points, I think Dale was more specifically a voice for liberalism there in the end than democracy per se. Our currently zombie free society is a democracy and has the death penalty, which is essentially what Shane was advocating--albeit in much less eloquent terms.

That's true, I didn't see it that way, but from the looks of it Ricks all done with discussions of any sort at this point (i hope).

As far as spoilers go they are all over facebook anyways, so unless you live under a rock that doesn't have internets you're bound to run into them. (I think Panch mentioned that earlier)

Oh and I await for the return of Tyreese, which i've been wondering about since season one.

Man, they had a three-tiered chain-link fence system at the prison, that's two ditches they had ample time to dig instead of having the same goddamn conversation for 2 entire volumes.

i know, but the way these newbies are bitching about going outdoors and doing stuff in the vicinity of any zombies at all...it's apparently a herculean effort.

makes you miss those prisoners; you shot one and the rest just kinda fell in line.

Okay, just finished powering through the new season (as opposed to the bits and pieces I caught as Rachael and CJ watched)

I'm not sure which death was bigger bullshit. Was it

Dale's teleporting super-zombie that can rip people open with its bare hands even if an 11-year-old kid can escape its grasp

or

Jimmy's inability to lock a fucking Winnebago door. What the fuck were you even doing Jimmy, you should've just kept driving. Daryl was out there on his loud-ass Nazi bike and he still did a lot fucking better than you did.

It was a good season. I didn't hate Lori near as much as everyone else does (my nemesis is Andrea, but I think that's mainly cause of that catty duckface look she does when she's doing something stupid and wrong) but she is a terrible mother. I literally would love it if by the end of next season we just had Daryl, Carol (as she's the only female member of the crew who's never made me want to scream so loud the skin on her face melts off, plus they're nursing that weird relationship between her and Daryl so whatever), Michonne (assuming she doesn't pull an Andrea and be a character I love in the books but hate more than Hitler in the show), Hershel, and T-Dog (Yes, T-Dog. Fucker's got a stupid name but he's one of the more likeable crew members.) They could just build a new crew around it, naturally incorporating other greats like Tyreese, Axel (you feel me?), and the like.

Edit: Oh, Glen and Maggie could live too. I like Glenn a lot and I like Maggie more than her comic counterpart.

Edited by Iambaytor

Edit: Oh, Glen and Maggie could live too. I like Glenn a lot and I like Maggie more than her comic counterpart.

Ditto on Glen and Mags.

However, I'm liking Andrea more now; that run through the woods in the season finale definitely did its job in making me empathize w/ her more, but for most of the season, yeah, she was very unlikable.

Her run through the woods is pretty badass, I just hated how any time anyone other than shane said something she pursed her lips and her eyes got really big like a cat that's about to pounce on something. Then she loudly and angrilly argued for something even though every single time she did this she was wrong: "NO! I want a gun!" "No, I wanna shoot this walker you can easily dispatch with hand tools and I can barely fucking see!" "NO! I wanna let the suicidal girl give it the old college try!"

what is it with you guys and T-Dawg? he's only likable cause he's absent half the fucking season and not around long enough to get invested in/annoyed with his dumb survival decisions. his season highlight was literally surviving a self-inflicted scrap metal wound.

My hatred of T-Dog (I shall spell it this way and no other) lasted as long as it took me to get used to his name. Which took about an episode and a half. You know how there's always that thing in comedies about horror movies where all the white people are like "Lets split up and search for the killer" and the black guy goes "Fuck that shit, we stick together!" That's T-Dog in a nutshell, other than Daryl he's the only character that has even a vague survival instinct.