Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

Am I the only one that was kinda meh on this episode?

Lori's whole death just seemed rushed, and the episode in general seemed poorly plotted/edited. I think the writers are straying from the source material just for the sake of "surprising" fans and it's to the detriment of the story and characters. S2 ended w/ Lori pushing Rick away and S3 had this weird shift in their dynamic that was never explained. I think this shift in their relationship detracts from the emotional impact of her death on Rick. Also I think there was some great material left to mine w/ Lori and the baby and their her and the baby's deaths in the comics were just so dramatic, why fuck w/ that? Maggie also fell a few notches in my book for turning in to a puddle of cowardice, which sucks b/c I was really liking her character on the show.

And as to the question, is Lori even really dead? Anytime shit goes down off camera there's always a chance. They were referring to her as dead on the Talking Dead and did an "in memoriam" for her, but it looks as if next episode picks up immediately where this one left off. Maybe Rick goes back and finds her alive? Highly doubtful in my opinion. Carl put her down. Damn.

Anyone else notice the parallel between T-Dog's death and Dale's? Dale was the sole voice on the side of making the humane choice rather than the cold, calculated choice that puts the safety of the group over what would have been considered decent in the world before walkers. Dale spoke out against executing the kids they captured, and T-Dog spoke out in favor of being Axel and Oscar into the group. I think that going forward, we can anticipate that if any character speaks up for human decency, they will die that very episode.

Very good observation. And a very interesting theory.

I swear this is coming in the mail-

Dear JZA,

I just want you to love me. I'm insecure and require constant validation from my fanbase. It's exactly why I throw self-depricating jokes in where I can and try way too fucking hard to present myself as 'just another fanboy come good'. As a further act to make you fucking love me I've just seen to it your two least favourite characters from the show get eaten to shit. The cherry on top is some resonating shit where Carl gets to kill his own shitty mother, something you were robbed of doing.

It's all for you JZA.

Robert Jerkman

This season of Walking Dead may come out as the high point of 2012 tv!

ur2jz.gif

Am I the only one that was kinda meh on this episode?

Yes

Can we please stop putting comic spoilers in with the tv spoilers for the sake of methose who haven't read the comics?

I'm definitely gonna try and at least separate the two and label accordingly. Wishing that's what would happen in the Game of Thrones thread, but it is hard to not try comparing the two or make predictions based off of it.

I'm digging the comics, but I'm finding it hard to enjoy or get attached to certain characters when I know what is in store for Lori and what not

I think the show has deviated enough from the comics that you can't make any assumptions about who will live or die.

Comic and show spoilers:

Sophia died in the second season of the show, but is still alive in issue 103. Dale survived well after the group leaves the prison in the comics, but dies before the group leaves the farm in the show. I think that Lori's death in the show was far from inevitable, and I think her daughter Judith (I'm assuming they are going to go with the same name in the show) dying is also far from inevitable. Even if Lori's death was inevitable, she didn't die in childbirth in the books, she died in the Governor's assault on the prison.

PS I'm checking on the Walking Dead Wiki now whenever I refer to past issues of the comics, since my memory for the specific events in the books is way crappy than I think it is.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Comic and tv spoilers

What the fuuuuuck? It's only episode 4, what's...what the fuck? This was a great fucking episode. Though, Haku I agree that I would've preferred Lori and the baby's death from the comics, the only way they can equal that level of emotion is if they kill Carl instead, but if they do that, they may as well kill Rick as well, because he'd just completely break down if he lost them all....can you imagine if they did that?

not a spoiler

tumblr_mcx98bl13P1r71c5to1_500.jpg

The word's lost all meaning after typing that out.

I'm still relatively behind also. Still past the prison, but I cannot go into the comic book thread at all.

Edited by axel_napalm

Comic and tv spoilers

What the fuuuuuck? It's only episode 4, what's...what the fuck? This was a great fucking episode. Though, Haku I agree that I would've preferred Lori and the baby's death from the comics, the only way they can equal that level of emotion is if they kill Carl instead, but if they do that, they may as well kill Rick as well, because he'd just completely break down if he lost them all....can you imagine if they did that?

comic spoilers

If they kill Carl on the TV show then that's pretty much gotta be a jump the shark moment, no? The fact they offed Lori so early in the season and the producers keep saying, "It gets darker and more intense this season," makes me think they're gonna maim Rick somehow. Maybe not his hand (which is a good bet seeing as how Merle would likely want to mete out eye-for-an-eye retribution) but he's definitely not leaving the season "whole." Also Woodbury's zombie-sports will likely show up as well. Michonne and/or Lori rape is almost certain.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Thrizzle, on 06 November 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

snapback.png

I get the first one, but...I think you're kinda pushing it on the second one man. You're paying attention, right?

Obviously I was not paying attention to the name I typed...

I meant Andrea and not Lori...

. . . Although I wouldn't put dead pregnant woman rape above the comic book Gov., maybe the TV Gov. is less of a potential necrophiliac.