Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

So every time the Walking Dead has a season premiere or season finale, it blows up tons of these records they already held. This week's episode was no exception.

It appears that AMC’s The Walking Dead is unstoppable.

Sunday’s return for the television adaptation of Robert Kirkman and Charles Adlard’s long-running Image Comics series brought genuinely staggering ratings for the cable network, with 12.3 million viewers tuning in, shattering the series’ previous high of 10.9 million for the Season 3 premiere last October. To put that in some kind of context, that means the episode outperformed all of the broadcast networks’ shows for the evening with the exception of CBS’ coverage of the Grammy Awards, in terms of total viewers.

When it comes to breaking down the audience into specific demographics, things get even better. Sunday’s Walking Dead set a new record for the all-important (i.e., of prime interest for advertisers) demographic of adults 18 to 49 for any series in basic cable history with 7.7 million viewers in that particular age range. That makes the season three average rating for the 18-to-49 demo is 6.8 million, a number higher than that for mainstream hits like NCIS, Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory. 7.7 million viewers for that demo translates into a 6.1 rating for the episode, meaning that this week’s Walking Dead beat Fox’s American Idol (which got a 4.1 rating).

I’ll repeat that for emphasis: The Walking Dead beat American Idol in terms of the viewers that advertisers pay attention to this week.

In a statement accompanying AMC’s (deserved) trumpeting of the ratings, the network’s president Charlie Collier said, “When you look at numbers like this, the first thing that comes to mind is how grateful we are to the fans of this show. They embrace The Walking Dead in a way that we wanted to believe was possible but we never take for granted. The cast and crew put everything they have into making this show. They’re a phenomenally talented group who truly give their all. We congratulate everyone involved.”

The third season of The Walking Dead continues this Sunday on AMC.

Edited by Reverend Jax

I love the new format of The Talking Dead too. Audience questions are fun and it's nice they get enough time to delve more into the show.

it's going to be interesting to see how Andrea's visit with the prison goes.

Hopefully Tyrese and co. get some more screen time soon too.

So, I don't know if people on this board knew this, but I just read this article that says both NBC and HBO passed on The Walking Dead. Oddly, HBO was willing to pick it up if they toned down the graphic violence. The channel that has brought us The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood, True Blood, Oz, The Wire, Rome, and fucking Game of Thrones, needed the violence toned down on The Walking Dead. NBC was willing to pick it up if they toned it down too, but that's less surprising. Anyway, I thought that was interesting.

I was Googling about whether anyone was expecting a drop in ratings for this weeks episode due to it playing during the Oscars. Evidently, they aired an episode last season during the Oscars too, and it was the 4th most watched episode of the season (after the season finale, the mid season premiere and the season premiere), and it came in second place in total viewers against the NBA All-Star game (but beat the All-Star game in the 18-49 demo). So if that's any indicator, this week's episode will not be hurt at all in the ratings by the Oscars. When I first heard that Seth MacFarlane was hosting, I was planning on checking the Oscars out this year, but I'd rather watch TWD.

Edited by Reverend Jax

You'd only be missing like 10% of the Oscars anyway.

I wonder if they are going to wrap it up with the Governor this season, or carry him over to season 4. At first the pacing seemed slow enough they would, but now, I'm not so sure.

Edited by axel_napalm

I don't know

comic spoilers

I watched The Talking Dead after this weeks episode, and the way they were talking we're not getting Michonne rape (Maggie fondling seems to be the substitute), which would then rule out Michonne revenge. That, combined with Lori dying early leads me to believe that they're pussying out this season.

Re: Governor story continuing next season, I'm pretty sure I remember a producer saying that the prison story would take place over two seasons.

I'm not completely writing them off though, as they've rarely put a foot wrong so far.

Lori dying early

That's just good fan response :2T:

They may be saving the big guns for when/if

judith dies. Regardless of how tame they want it to be, I just don't see them carrying that baby around with them for the whole of the show. Her death probably won't be as violent as in the books though. Maybe an illness or something to soften it up.

I don't know

comic spoilers

I watched The Talking Dead after this weeks episode, and the way they were talking we're not getting Michonne rape (Maggie fondling seems to be the substitute), which would then rule out Michonne revenge. That, combined with Lori dying early leads me to believe that they're pussying out this season.

Re: Governor story continuing next season, I'm pretty sure I remember a producer saying that the prison story would take place over two seasons.

I'm not completely writing them off though, as they've rarely put a foot wrong so far.

Yeah, I finally watched the Talking Dead last night and got the same vibe about Michonne. Although the guest (werewolf guy from True Blood) was doing most of the speculating. Kirkman was silent on the issue.

It kind of could go either way. It makes sense he wouldn't bother raping her, just shoot her dead. But he could also stay true to his character if he went medieval and tortured/raped her, too.

I think the Governor character could easily go into the next season, or at least the first half of next season. I think there's enough good story w/ Tyrese's crew, Merle, and Andrea to keep it going. Who knows w/ this show though--Michonne could behead him in the next episode and Andrea could become Governor II.

damn, panch has been saying i should check out talking dead for a minute, sounds interesting

i initially felt like ASC about the pussying out, but panch points to the fact AMC might already feel they're pushing the envelope with gore/etc, and going into this season, neither michonne's revenge (ugh) or lori's end felt likely to me.

at this point i wouldn't rule out

a) govnah making it to the next season (panch and haku seem to be the only ones backing this possibility here)

b) rick's baby (or not) surviving, though its hard to imagine what they'll do with it since they cant put it in a fridge...thing is, rick very clearly went over the cuckoo's nest just from Shane & Lori, id have a hard time seeing him stable if hannah bites it. i know there's a long game here, but i clearly can't see it.

great story development and it was awesome to see Tyrese is still around... despite possibly joining with the Gov. I'm hoping that takes a turn when Tyrese sees how fucking crazy he is.

And when Andrea was standing over The Governor with that knife I thought for sure he was gonna leap up and murder her ass. I do think he was awake the entire time though and knew she wouldn't do anything.

A slow episode like, ASC wrote, but still a good one. It felt a little like filler since so much batshit crazy stuff has gone on already this season, but there were some major character moments.

I thought they cheated a bit w/ the Merle situation though. We were kinda robbed of the initial moment when Glenn sees Merle, which would've been a good scene. Though the moment Merle shared w/ Herschel was a great one. And a bit revealing, too. Did Merle reform in a slight way in Woodbury only to have his old ways resurface when thoughts of vengeance overcame him upon finding Glenn & Maggie? Or is Merle merely playing an angle?

And I've got to stop watching those "on the next episode..." segments during the credits b/c it spoiled probably the best moment of the episode for me when Carl straight up told Rick to step down. The shock and disappointment in Rick was palpable. And Chandler Riggs is Carl. He's got that hardened, lethal air about him.

You really felt for Andrea in this one.

Yeah, I felt like she was a durty whoore. Never send an Andrea to do a Carol's job.

great story development and it was awesome to see Tyrese is still around... despite possibly joining with the Gov. I'm hoping that takes a turn when Tyrese sees how fucking crazy he is...

..As opposed to how fucking crazy Rick is.

:troll:

Seriously though, Tyreese's group running in to Andrea and creeper Milton was a neat twist.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Good point :2T:

Re: Merle

I think once he was reunited with Darryl, he's been there for his brother. I don't think there's much of an angle except that he is in it for himself and Darryl. If he goes out "heroically" it will be saving Darryl. I'm glad he's back on the show though. He's a damn good character and Michael Rooker plays him perfectly.

1) haku got a point, i did want the glenn v merle moment

2) i celebrate tyrese's camp dying, his wife is okay but the rest are marks

3) theme of this last ep was WAKE THE FUCK UP ANDREA FUCK

i seriously dont know how anyone who doesnt know her potential from the book can give a shit about her, she was kinda played for a chump to a lesser degree with shane, now this ugh

4) Herschel is about the most compelling person in their camp, meaning he's so very dead

1) haku got a point, i did want the glenn v merle moment

2) i celebrate tyrese's camp dying, his wife is okay but the rest are marks

3) theme of this last ep was WAKE THE FUCK UP ANDREA FUCK

i seriously dont know how anyone who doesnt know her potential from the book can give a shit about her, she was kinda played for a chump to a lesser degree with shane, now this ugh

4) Herschel is about the most compelling person in their camp, meaning he's so very dead

Regarding TV Andrea:

Agreed. It looks like Carol and Maggie are becoming decent at shooting, so maybe one of them will be the group's go-to sniper. I also wonder if rape is going to be completely taboo for the TV series. Maggie did one of TV's creepiest topless scenes, but she wasn't even fondled and it fucked Glenn up for three episodes. I mention it b/c it was a big part of the comics, but now that the last of the prisoners are dead, it seems the most likely rapists are Merle and Gov. Phil. Could Andrea instead of Michonne be a victim later on in the show and turn against Woodbury?

Regarding TV Tyreese:

Killing his wife would be just plain cliche for the series at this point, so I think she's around for a while--or at least as long as Tyreese is. The father and son w/ his group seem like they are destined to be walker food though.

Regarding TV Herschel:

Great episode!

Not a whole lot of story progression, but some damn great acting here. The actor that plays Morgan is probably the best actor out of everybody and that's only based on his two appearances. Really hope we see more of him.

Yes, very good episode and necessary to the TV show to help cement the bond these characters share in the comics. And I didn't think it would be possible for me to like the character of Michonne more than I do from the comic, but the writers and actress on the TV show are really fleshing her out in some beautiful ways.

That poor hiker though. I mean, damn. That was some cold shit there.