Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

I love Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan also. Perfect casting there.

Comic Spoilers

I'm really looking forward to bearded prisoner Negan. I really gotta catch up with the books though cause I have no idea how that's going with the Whisperers

right?! i know it's been 7 seasons (and 100 issues, book-wise) but it's easy to forget how far we've come.

book spoilers!

imagine how it'll be post negan-war (ya'll think we'll get a full 2 seasons out of it?) when we introduce a ton of people, just to have a culling via the whisperers

book spoilers too!

Yeah, it's kind of crazy to see how young Cahndler Riggs was back in S1 in that photo. Also, only four cast members remain from that first season. That's a greater death toll than GoT, I'd say.

As for how long until we see an end to the "All Out War" story line from the comics in the show--I'd say two seasons could definitely be feasible. Based on how he spoke during Talking Dead, Kirkman seems to think this show will be in double digit seasons.

I'm very curious to see how the King Ezekiel storyline will play out. I can see Carol filling the Michonne role from the comics (Also makes more sense for Carol to go at it on the solitude of the ocean post All Out War), but it's also possible a whole love triangle thing can happen between Richonne and King Zeke.

yeah, speaking of post-red wedding & changes from the book, was talking to panch & later realized:

i don't know if we're gonna see Carl go to Negan's base. i know it was a cool character moment when he did, but the bulk of it (aside from again referencing how badass/unafraid Carl's grown) was to give the reader their first peek at the saviors' setup & how they lived. the show's been doing better by bouncing back & forth with its ensemble cast, it's hard for me to imagine they didn't send Daryl there just to fill that role.

i don't know the over/under on him getting out alive, but i'm betting it's pretty decent since we just lost 2 of rick's capos, and he's about as close to a right-hand man that's still breathing. part of me would love to see if they'd have the balls to run half his face across an iron, but i'm betting against that too, haha

You know, I wonder if Daryl might turn AGAINST Rick and co. That would be a pretty crazy arc and fucked up too. Daryl is brought over. Sees how Negan runs things, gets a sort of Stockholm syndrome maybe? Realizes "Damn, these people are surviving like fuck." Over two season, slowly starts to become good with Negan and the Saviors. Rick is forced to kill his former brother on the battlefield or something. I'm not sure how much that would work... but it would be an interesting plot

You know, I wonder if Daryl might turn AGAINST Rick and co. That would be a pretty crazy arc and fucked up too. Daryl is brought over. Sees how Negan runs things, gets a sort of Stockholm syndrome maybe? Realizes "Damn, these people are surviving like fuck." Over two season, slowly starts to become good with Negan and the Saviors. Rick is forced to kill his former brother on the battlefield or something. I'm not sure how much that would work... but it would be an interesting plot

old comics spoiler

Remember when they introduced Dwight and he looked and dressed just like Daryl with the exception of the giant facial scar? What if Daryl becomes the TV version of Dwight, yes I know they've cast an actor whose character is named Dwight. But lest we forget that doesn't mean he will fill his comic role, this might be an Andrea/Sasha situation. He's already in place to get ironed and he's not unliked enough to be mildly important mid-season death like Tyreese. I'm betting he's going to be Dwight.

Well TV Dwight already has said facial scar. Im not dismissing the theory though, it could be possible, but it would be kinda weird to toss out one Dwight and pass the scar over to Daryl so to speak. Might be a lot of story hoops to jump through on that one.

old comics spoiler

Remember when they introduced Dwight and he looked and dressed just like Daryl with the exception of the giant facial scar? What if Daryl becomes the TV version of Dwight, yes I know they've cast an actor whose character is named Dwight. But lest we forget that doesn't mean he will fill his comic role, this might be an Andrea/Sasha situation. He's already in place to get ironed and he's not unliked enough to be mildly important mid-season death like Tyreese. I'm betting he's going to be Dwight.

Eh. I'd be kinda surprised if that happened, but anything is possible in a world where Rick cries snot bubbles. Fucking snot bubbles, people! And the Emmy goes to...Andrew "Motherfucking Snot Bubbles" Lincoln.

Some S7E1 memes and a reaction compilation vid. (I'm not sure why those are so interesting to watch but they are.)

e5e8bf5971e18bf32ae61d0180869992.jpg

3748369.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

all caught up!

my god, they kept ezekiel intact, and with the tiger to boot! i love how panch owned his lowkey fandom of that arc, haha

so yeah, daryl's ep was our window to the saviors' base. i gotta say, i like the changes from the book this season: the kingdom paying tribute on the low, how things played out with dwayne & why his wife left (as opposed to just wanting a better life), etc. even the "we're all neegan" thing works here, and damn if jeffrey dean morgan isn't a great deal more exciting than his comic counterpart, too.

i figure we'll get back to demoralized rick next ep or so, but man it's hard not to love daryl.

Yeah, great start to the season so far.

comic spoilers

No pussying out with Glenn's death, and glad they took Abraham as well, it really elevated Negan's entrance. Also no holds barred when depicting his beating. That was brutal and Red Weddingesque for non comic fans.

Ezekiel is cool. Carol is a great replacement for Michonne for Ezekiel's love interest. It also adds more mixed race couples (the lack of which was something I found silly in the comics).

Excellent last episode, but by using Daryl to show us the Saviours they've officially wasted the last opportunity to save tv Carl. All of his storylines have been butchered, given to another character or just skipped over. Also why is Judith still alive? When was the last time she was even in the show?

Edited by alive she cried

Comic spoilers

Shit I totally forgot about Judith. There's no way they're gonna kill a baby at this point. Especially Rick's baby. It would be too unbelievable that he would come back from that at this point I think. That and simply I on't think AMC has the balls for it.

Added comic spoilers

red weddingesque for sure

Comic spoilers

i think they'll turn carl but slower, they're already showing how hard he is - if you can, watch the lucille scenes again...he doesnt look away when others do.

we clearly passed on a lotta children's deaths - i too forgot about judith, but the twins back in the prison, the cannibal kids that carl "handles"...i gotta agree, they wanna push the envelope but prolly thought these lines were a bit too far to cross & still have a character people rooted for, maybe?

i'm thinking rick loses his hand in the final battle with negan somehow, though

Added comic spoilers

^I know! That was so much more harsh to watch on screen though. Jeffery Dean Morgan is bringing this quality to Negan that I didn't really associate with him in the comics. It's like his Negan is detached from the violence and vulgarity he perpetrates. Everytime I see Negan on the show it's like he's an obnoxious moviegoer yelling out his comments at the movie, which is the movie he's making out of the violence that he creates. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Comic spoilers

As for S7E4 - "Service"...

It was indeed a tough episode to see Rick so humiliated and beaten like that. I'm not calling him "broken" like the producers of the show do in all the interviews because we know in the comics he comes back in a big way. I like how Michonne and Rosita are being poised in this episode as the ones who will likely break the subservience to Negan & the Saviors and spur Rick to revolt against Negan. I don't see them convincing Rick to rebel until mid-season at the earliest though. My guess would be All Out War won't happen until next season.

They really seem to be following the comics much more closely since Gimple became showrunner, so I'm guessing these first 8 episodes will be vol 18 of the comic, "What Comes After." Then the back 8 episodes of S7 will be vol. 19, "March to War." And S8 will be "All Out War Pts 1 & 2."

Of course we've got Carol playing the Michonne role with Ezekiel and Michonne playing Andrea's role in the TV show along with Daryl and Sash thrown into the mix, so there will be deviations form the comics as there always have been, but I think the major beats will still follow closely to the four volumes of the comic.

thpoilerth (of the comic variety)

Comic spoilers

^agreed with the obvious character switches, and yeah, if we get All Out War this season i'd be shocked...they made the governor last longer than that, no way they don't milk their most interesting villain yet for a while, however painful

Added comic spoilers

Walking Dead ratings fall to lowest in years

It’s almost like somebody is taking a baseball bat to The Walking Dead’s ratings.

AMC’s mega-hit fell sharply after its seventh season premiere last month, and has declined steadily each week since to mark the steepest ratings fall in the show’s history. In fact, Sunday’s fifth episode of the season delivered the show’s lowest viewership since season 3.

You’ll recall TWD returned to the show’s second-biggest audience ever, delivering an incredible 17 million viewers. Fan reaction to the debut was extremely polarized, however. Some found the 90-minute return to be a gripping, emotionally effective, and artful piece of work, while others thought Negan’s gory sadism crossed a line – and vowed to quit the show.

damn

fans of Glenn really took this to heart, eh? imagine if it would've been Daryl! kinda see this out red wedding GoT since those characters were liked a lot less, however brutal that was

kinda sucks to see, since this is one of the more interesting arcs from the book, and i really love how they're doing here - nevermind Neegan being played so very much better than his book counterpart warrants.

The ratings drop isn't surprising. I'd imagine most Americans want an escape to a happier, non-dystopian world in their TV viewing after the election. It's too close to reality for roughly 64 million Americans at the moment.

As for me, I'm loving this season. It's pretty damn interesting seeing these four different communities existing in the same TV world. I can see how this would be a turn-off for some viewers--our main characters spread out yet again over four different areas, and possibly this is contributing to the ratings decline, too. However, I'm loving it. Four realms to keep up with ain't shit to any GoT fan.

S7E5 - "Go Getters" aka "Skater's Paradise"

Axels should be happy with more Steven Ogg. Oh, Gregory. You douchebag.

This episode also could've been titled--The Wrath of Rhee. I dig this girl power thing going on with Mags, Enid, and Sasha.

I like how they're going to go there with the Carl infiltrating the Savior's base but added Jesus to the mix. Looking forward to those Negan and Carl scenes. Especially now knowing some of Negan's backstory in the comics now, it gives a new dimension to how Negan relates to teens.

• 2 weeks later...

Man last episode was tense as hell.

Now I see why they kept Judith alive. Still have no clue what's in store for Daryl. I think if they lost that many viewers cause of Glenn and Abe, losing Daryl is a clincher for an even harsher decline.