Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

It's insane that this show is loosing viewers because its probably the best season yet. Jeffery-Dean Morgan needs to win an award for this.

agreed 100%, i get being upset by the losses but i cannot imagine why you'd stay on this long & leave during the most exciting season. as fans of the book, i feel like we've been waiting for this forever now.

they're playing things closer to the book this season too, with mostly changes that really work. Negan's entire thing with Carl this last ep was great, because you get to see a slightly softer/less psychotic side (that i felt the book did more often) and still kept things a lot more tense. jeffery is by far the best thing to happen to this show.

if things play the way we expect, bitch-made dude should approach negan & die on rick's porch in like the first 20 minutes, which i'm cool with. i'm wondering if michonne's suicide run lines up to get daryl back in time (though i forget how much longer it was till the war broke out), and obviously just waiting to see how lady-village plays into things, beside the obvious: i don't recall rick's group losing all their guns in the book, but whatever becomes of them, it's about their only chance to arm themselves again.

we even go the nod to the team "directing" the herd, and with daryl out there's no reason to not follow that strategy that i imagine jesus is bringing back. what i keep wondering is: will rick really get him in the war during some revelation that negan has about how things could've worked out better? cause as it stands, i'm having a harder time with this take on that character having that epiphany on the battlefield, i really think they're gonna change that one up - but obviously still keep him alive

Good episode but a few things really rubbed me the wrong way, and several of them are in that spoiler above.

A series of ridiculous events starting with Spencer being led down that narrative path like a dumb cow to the slaughterhouse. Followed by Rosita shooting Negan right in the...Lucille. Followed by the whole "Lucille, give me strength" line, and then that overacting by the guy doing Eugene. It was all way to stupidly comical that it took me outta not only the moment but the entire show.

The scene with Michonne and Rick in Negan's future home also seemed unnatural and very much a performance by the two actors. A far cry from the outstanding work Andrew Lincoln delivered in the season opener.

Also, after the way Rosita talked to Eugene last episode and how she didn't listen to a damn word Father Gabriel said (who really is turning around to someone damn likeable these last two episodes, which means he'll definitely die in All Out War next season) to her and that causing Denise to get face fucked by a bullet--I'm kinda looking forward to Rosita's fate by Alpha of the Whisperers. (Least menacing title in this series, BTW.)

• 2 months later...

S7E9

Holy crap! I mean, wow. What a terrifically bad episode. At first I thought I was watching some parody of the show, but nope. That was it and it was really that poorly written--and acted.

That whole scene at the Hilltop was just garbage. The reunion with Morgan was about as anticlimactic as you can get. Ezekiel pusses out like we knew he would. Carol gets to be the old lady in the woods for a brief scene with a kid who will obviously die. (My guess is his death will turn Ezekiel's mind about fighting the saviors.) And then all of a sudden they run into a cornucopia of explosives. So next Rosita barks out a few orders and they all become bomb experts. An admittedly cool slicing of walkers happens then Michonne and Rick push--yes, PUSH--their way through a herd of walkers. WTF show am I even watching?!?!?

• 1 month later...

Shit is moving slooow. Interesting enough, but a bit slow for me. Nothing better happen to Jerry though.

Agreed, it's a slow pace, but I'm mostly okay with it because these character specific episodes in the back half of S7 have been pretty damn great. I'm talking specifically S7E11-14. I already railed on the hot garbage of S7E9, and the intro of the Heapsters in S7E10 was a mixed bag at best. But they've hit four homeruns in a row since then...

S7E11 - Eugene drops a pair and finally gets a kickass attitude to match that kickass mullet.

S7E12 - Richonne apocalyptic Honeymoon roadtrip! Besides the terrible CGI deer and obvious baiting with Rick's death it was a fantastic episode.

S7E13 - Morgan unleashed! We've seen the death of his young, blonde apprentice coming basically from the moment it was shown Ezekial cared for him. But telegraphed plot points aside, watching Morgan's mental and emotional journey this episode was great.

S7E14-I've really been wishing death on Rosita this seasons, but finally going into her back story and seeing her get over her bitchiness towards Sasha felt like a solid bit of character development. Sasha's fate has pretty much been sealed since the actress was cast on the new Star Trek series (which will hopefully finally debut this year), and I'm glad they gave these two their own episode to work shit out.

Only two more episodes left and it looks like we'll definitely be heading into ALL OUT WAR by season's end. And if I'm being honest, I'm not looking forward to S8 and AOW so much as I am S9 and...

comic spoilers

Seeing if they do the time jump like in the comics. Prisoner Negan, interconnected communities, Rick with a cane, Whisperers, Carol on the high seas (you know they're giving her the Michonne storyline from the comics in the show the same way they're switching out the Michonne & Andrea storylines)! That's the shit that gets me excited to see on screen. Saviors v Greater DC Area Community Coalition doesn't sound as much fun to me. Part of me is hoping they'll only do 8 episodes for AOW, but seeing how they stretched out the Road to War over an entire season, I don't think that's a realistic expectation. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll give us an episode or two in S8 for Negan's origin like they did the Governor.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
thpoilerth

all caught up - just in time too, next week's the season finale & shit is very clearly going down

no idea if sasha walks away from this (not caring as much about Eugene at the moment, despite his usefulness), but...anyone else think it's weird how forgiving Negan is with Rick's camp?

like, in the book, he lets Carl's murders slide, too - only, now we have both Rosita & Sasha's attempts, nevermind Daryl basically giving him the finger every time he's told to take a knee. they've all had varying levels of treatment substantially better than the doctor who got chucked into the over a few eps back.

i get the whole respecting the balls on this team & somehow wanting to recruit them, but damn. anyway, i'm wondering if the war just pops off now that negan heard "a little bird" (plus gregory's on his way to snitch, and other stuff's happening) but what kinda cliffhanger do they wanna leave us on here? are we gonna start next season with what haku's talking about there with the negan flashback or what? cause All Out War was an entire arc but i don't know if it'll make for a whole season

They can definitely start All Out War next season, tie it up by the mid-season finale and then slow it back down with origin stories and such at the mid-season premiere. All moving into Negan the Prisoner fuckery.

Also, Negan didn't know Rosita was there with Sasha. She fled back with wannabe-Daryl. But your assessment is sound. Dude, I guess, like's the challenge Rick's group is giving him. That or he's scared shitless.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

Yeah, with Oceanside and the Scavengers/Heapsters in the mix I'd bet money they stretch All Out War over an entire season.

Predictions for next season, S8, with some comicbook spoilers:

*We'll get more episodes focusing on characters from each of the non-comic book communities.

*Negan will put Eugene to work producing bullets and will be conflicted with his cowardice/survival instinct vs loyalty to Alexandria. Mullet-man will revert his loyalties back to Rick and deliver the cargo of bullets like in the comics--possibly mid-season finale.

*Maggie will assume official control of Hilltop from Gregory. He'll try to assassinate Maggie. He'll either get his hanging or shot by Enid--likely mid-season finale.

*Carol & Ezekiel romance will bloom over the season.

*GTA Savior guy will die in AOW.

*My guess is Sasha will die in the S7 finale,however, if she survives, she or another key cast member will die in the back end of S8. Gotta make "the loss/sacrifice of war" felt somehow.

*Heapsters/Scavengers will betray Rick somehow and Oceanside crew will swoop in to help finish off Saviors.

*Negan Will break Rick's leg like the comics, but Rick keeps both hands.

S7E16

Stuck to the comics very closely. Even though I knew what was coming, the fact it kept switching to a singular POV and it was outta sequence made for an interesting and damned compelling episode.

You boy Carl got savage on that fence. And axel's boy Ogdin survived the wrath of Shiva this episode. Little surprised Jadis didn't get iced this episode, but if they're gonna drag ALL OUT WAR over 16 episodes in S8, I'm guessing they're saving as many "big baddie" deaths for next season as they can.

^strongly agreed

that was my single biggest beef with this episode, the way Rick kinda showed how bad he can be at leadership by trusting these garbage people with no real connection to them, no way of enforcing their agreement (for real? you're just gonna give them a shit-ton of guns and hope for the best?) and didn't even take precautions with his own people like, i don't know, only you guys work on the car explosives & keep an eye on them too

the changes they've made from the book for eugene are interesting too but i would've been okay with him going up in flames, yeah