Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

Ooh, we're all a bunch of hardcore nerds that have cable and are waiting until Halloween night to watch! Well I don't have cable, so fuck the lot of youse! I DL'd episode one and watched it on my TV last night. And it was bloody magnificent. I tell ya, I doubt even Sir Custer himself could find a gif that would adequately represent the elation I experienced with this first episode.

First of all, the title sequence was bland crap. Frank Darabont needs to get this guy for season two's title sequence. After that there's the scene

revealing the little girl as a zombie. I have to say, I'm a little bothered by how close Rick is getting to the walkers when he shoots 'em. One droplet in his eye and it's adios.

But that minor complaint and the title sequence is all I can really say against this show.

I loved the scene between Rick and Shane in the squad car before Rick gets shot. Admittedly the shootout sequence itself was a bit over the top, but it was forgivable and still entertaining. A real surprise was how well the whole sequence w/ Morgan & his son Duane came off. The actor playing Morgan gave an outstanding emotional performance.

Lorie would come off as a real bitch to me in this episode if I hadn't known from the comic that she was treating Rick that way and shacking up so quickly w/

Comics spoilers

Shane b/c she had a baby on the way. I think a lot of people are in for a great twist on the series when that one is revealed.

The episode ends with

Rick riding into ATL like a dumbass and narrowly making it into the tank before being eaten by the horde. Sadly the horse isn't so lucky.

. And there's tons more to discuss, but I'll wait lest this just becomes a conversation between Jax and myself before the 31st. tongue.gif

Edited by alive she cried
Added Comics spoilers

ironically, no one in this event (sans Panch's dad) actually has cable, except for Jax, who already watched it.

dr. chikins and crim appear to be watching it on tv. seems you're the only one sans cable, custer. so i'm assuming this means you've vacated casa de eduardo already? i thought y'all weren't leaving until the end of october...so it must've been end of september you and kertins moved?

Cable or digital TV is kind of a necessity here as terrestrial TV is beyond shit and you get like 4 channels.

Boy is there egg on my face. I flick over to FX and I get "You are not subscribed to this channel". FUCK SAKE! I'd subscribe to it if I could add that one channel and not the 20 others I'd need to buy in a package to do so.

Come back bittorrent. All is forgiven.

Wow. Just wow. Great first episode, but even greater get-together! Thanks to Jax, Nick and Kertains for representing Hondos. Thanks to Brian for driving from Orlando to see the show. Also, for bringing his cool friend Turk. Thanks to Turk for being the cool new guy. Thanks to Star for sitting through a scary zombie show when I know she gets scared by that kinda stuff. Thanks to Sasha for driving from North Miami. Thanks to Mike and Jack for popping popcorn and giving out candy to our guests. Thanks to Jaika for hangin' with a bunch of zombie nuts. And lastly, thanks to Dad and Maria for providing the venue and TV. Happy Halloween!

liked:

-Forest Whitaker's cousin cast as the neighbor, all but stole the show.

-Rick's not bad either, i need more time with him though.

-What little we saw of the forthcoming cast (RV crew, Glenn) looked largely spot-on.

-the zombies are of course excellent, especially when they're in halves.

not sure about:

Comics spoilers

-adding Romero's "zombies with memory", i wonder if that'll stick? it worked for the first episode, at least. if they keep at it, i hope it's as effective.

-Lou Ferigno's cousin as Shane...he's not bad, just - you know what? it's not gonna matter soon anyway

-pacing sure took it's time, but the book - while not in the modern writing style of decompression per se - can do this as well. again, need to see a few more episodes.

very well done, can't wait to see the rest of this short season.

Added Comics spoilers

The neighbor was Sol from Snatch, and yeah, he did well.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with issues about the pace, but then it's laying good groundwork as the further the series goes, they'll need less establishing shots and wide angles of deserted highways and whatnot(funnily the first ep made Kirkman's pacing seem positively Bendi-sian).

Oh these brits and their breaking into Hollywood. Tommy's Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire(bit more obvious since white people don't all look the same), but for me and my local status as a walking IMDB, sadly, almost everything comes back to who was or who has costarred with someone who was in Snatch.

Even better news. Hopefully the numbers will stay high like this and not drop off in subsequent weeks.

Yeah, I think it was a brilliant bit of marketing to have it on at 9PM, Halloween night. Most of the Halloween parties were on Saturday and it was late enough so all the kids were done trick-or-treating and the parents could be home in plenty of time to see the zombietasticness to occur.

I really liked the first ep. There was just nothing I could fault it on. I found the pacing just right especially when you go back to the comic and find that Morgan and Duane are around for like 4 or 5 pages. If the show followed the comics pace then they'd be

Comics spoilers

in the prison by the end of episode two. Loved the addition of Morgans wife and the scene of him trying to shoot her. Filled out the ep nicely without being too indulgent.

I had reservations about Andrew Lincoln as Rick but he's not all that bad. I imagined a slightly more chiselled dude would portray him. His mannerisms are too dude-ish as well. Shanes casting was spot on. The brash beefcake with the heart of gold and all.

Comics spoilers

Something tells me they won't kill off Shane too quickly. They seem to have invested too much in his character plot-wise.

Oh and Carl....creepy looking little fucker. Like Haley Joel Osment on glue or something.

Added Comics spoilers