Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

So I've been out of the comic loop since, damn I don't know. Early Alexandria? So I had no expectations going into this. I will say that it might have worked in my favor. My GF and I had a joke pool for who was going to eat it and who would take out Negan. A lot of it was unexpected to us, the mad max furiosa team turning on them etc.

So far, Eugine is turning out to be an interesting character, in fact I don't remember him being anything amazing in the comics I read.

I know the show was reporting low ratings for this ep, but honestly I really enjoyed it and the throwback to Abraham was pretty great. All in all, I do feel like this season was constructed really well...even if it did feel a bit long at times due to pacing. I'm ready for the next season.

So I've been out of the comic loop since, damn I don't know. Early Alexandria? So I had no expectations going into this. I will say that it might have worked in my favor. My GF and I had a joke pool for who was going to eat it and who would take out Negan. A lot of it was unexpected to us, the mad max furiosa team turning on them etc.

So far, Eugine is turning out to be an interesting character, in fact I don't remember him being anything amazing in the comics I read.

I know the show was reporting low ratings for this ep, but honestly I really enjoyed it and the throwback to Abraham was pretty great. All in all, I do feel like this season was constructed really well...even if it did feel a bit long at times due to pacing. I'm ready for the next season.

Amen to that about Eugene and the flashback with Sgt. Mustache. I'd say the comic is on issue 165 and the show is around issue 114 with the story. Eugene's development on the show though is on par with the comics in so far as fleshing him out a a real person with more dimensions than just clever and cowardly. I'm definitely ready for war in S8.

• 3 months later...

So... some emails during the Darabont saga have been released.

Fuck you all for giving me chest pains because of the staggering fucking incompetence, blindness to the important beats, and the beyond-arrogant lack of regard for what is written being exhibited on set every day. I deserve better than a heart attack because people are too stupid to read a script and understand the words. Does anybody disagree with me? Then join the C-cam operator and go find another job that doesn’t involve deliberately fucking up my show scene by scene.

The camera operators were actually a major issue for Darabont, who believed their apparent incompetence was indicative of how excessively AMC was cutting corners. “Ray Charles could operate better,” he said in one email, and in another he compared a director working on the show to someone he had previously worked with “who had suffered massive, debilitating strokes.” Darabont also took issue with the network’s assertion that he could use the writers room to help get the scripts done, noting that the writers were “fucking lazy assholes.”

15-Pulp-Fiction-quotes.gif

daaamn

always wondered what happened there - should've suspected that with the show's high expenses, AMC would cut corners somewhere. still bummed we never got a season 2 out of Mob City but i imagine $$ was at fault there as well.

still, this feels like the real reason we saw andrea & others die off.

Here's the original article with the full rundown of the lawsuit. Damn that shit is complicated. Basically it's the same studio tactics of telling the talent they get a "percent of the profits" but then suddenly there are no "profits."

"Rather than a referendum on me, this lawsuit is about AMC's radically undervaluing The Walking Dead in order not to share profits in a manner reflecting the show's actual fair market value," says Darabont in his affidavit. "This lawsuit is also about AMC's refusal to share the unprecedented success of the show with the people who actually created that success for them, and about AMC's self-dealing and corporate greed.

Another article with Darabont's explanation/justification for the savage tone of his emails is here.

"Each of these emails must be considered in context," he says. "They were sent during an intense and stressful two-year period of work during which I was fighting like a mother lion to protect the show from harm — not only on my own behalf, but ironically also on behalf of AMC.

"Each of these emails was sent because a 'professional' showed up whose laziness, indifference, or incompetence threatened to sink the ship," Darabont continues."My tone was the result of the stress and magnitude of this extraordinary crisis. The language and hyperbole of my emails were harsh, but so were the circumstances."

• 3 months later...

Dat premiere

Was aight.

I dunno. I think I'm getting burnt out on the show a little bit. Last season was awesome, but didn't make me feel super excited for this season for some reason. Gonna stick it out for All Out War though. I really need to catch up on the comics too(which got spoiled for me by fucking CBR)

I thought it was a solid return. I quite enjoyed it, tension was built well.

Comic spoilers

Not too sure about the flashforward/dream sequence. I'm watching it with three of my brothers and they're all non comic readers and I feel introducing the flashes to the future even if it's framed as a potential dream rather than actual foreshadowing, it dampens the impact of the time jump  when tey eventually do it (I hope to Christ Rick has a real beard by then though, as his fake extensions look fucking awful).

The other element they keep cutting to, of Rick with his pale face and light shining in his eyes I quite like. My guess is that that is the moment just after he's slit Negan's throat.

Edited by alive she cried
Added comic spoilers tag

No you're right there. I think that's exactly what was losing me. The whole episode was supposed to be showing homages to the first episode of the series. (The flash forward of Rick in bed, Carl looking under the car, the zoom out from the RV when Negan finds Gabriel parallels the zoom out from the tank in EP 1.) The more I think about it though, I am looking forward to seeing all of the war played out. I just hope they don't actually kill Negan. I doubt they will, but it would be a travesty if they do that.

2 hours ago, Axels said:

Hide contents

No you're right there. I think that's exactly what was losing me. The whole episode was supposed to be showing homages to the first episode of the series. (The flash forward of Rick in bed, Carl looking under the car, the zoom out from the RV when Negan finds Gabriel parallels the zoom out from the tank in EP 1.) The more I think about it though, I am looking forward to seeing all of the war played out. I just hope they don't actually kill Negan. I doubt they will, but it would be a travesty if they do that.

Didn't like the season opener as much as you and ASC, but then again I wasn't looking for parallels to the first episode. Didn't realize until today that S8E1 was the 100th episode.

Agree it would be a travesty if they got rid of him.

He should definitely be around for that whole semi-redemptive arc in the Whisper War, which would be back end of S9 or beginning of S10.

3 hours ago, alive she cried said:

I thought it was a solid return. I quite enjoyed it, tension was built well.

Hide contents

Not too sure about the flashforward/dream sequence. I'm watching it with three of my brothers and they're all non comic readers and I feel introducing the flashes to the future even if it's framed as a potential dream rather than actual foreshadowing, it dampens the impact of the time jump  when tey eventually do it (I hope to Christ Rick has a real beard by then though, as his fake extensions look fucking awful).

The other element they keep cutting to, of Rick with his pale face and light shining in his eyes I quite like. My guess is that that is the moment just after he's slit Negan's throat.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if he kills Neegan. I think the weepy faced, red-eyed Rick flash fwd is more likely from someone key dying. I think it'd have to be someone BIG to get him all semi-catatonic like that. Possibly Michonne. Hope it's not her though.

To clarify

Comic spoilers

I don't  think Rick will kill Negan. I think he'll slit his throat and then save him, like he did in the comics. I also think he's pale because he's been shot by Dwight's arrow and just had his leg demolished by Negan. Though it's also possibly post Daryl's death.

I'll be very surprised if they don't follow those major plot points from the comics very closely. I used to think that the flash forward would be a great place to sign off on the TV show. But now I'm pretty sure we're getting multiple more seasons.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2017 at 10:24 PM, alive she cried said:

To clarify

Comic spoilers

Hide contents

I don't  think Rick will kill Negan. I think he'll slit his throat and then save him, like he did in the comics. I also think he's pale because he's been shot by Dwight's arrow and just had his leg demolished by Negan. Though it's also possibly post Daryl's death.

I'll be very surprised if they don't follow those major plot points from the comics very closely. I used to think that the flash forward would be a great place to sign off on the TV show. But now I'm pretty sure we're getting multiple more seasons.

Oh yeah, I think it'll easily continue for multiple seasons. AMC's CEO put out a release not long ago that they view TWD and Kirkman's post-apocalyptic world as a "franchise," one that could endure for "decades." They're apparently using Star Wars and Star Trek as models for how to handle the property.

And I thought this was kinda cool. This week ranked a 0.5.

acastro_171025_2089_0001.gif

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

caught up!

yeah, Shiva's death was brutal, again.  watching the king make it out if the early skirmish unscathed was just setting up the killing field, that whole bit was rough.

i get ASC's fears about the time jump they're dancing around - we're meant to see the possible future Rick is envisioning/wanting to build and how it all hinges on doing this right (jesus' insistence on not killing the prisoners because of "what comes after" felt central here) but i too hope we don't flash ahead too much more.  

Negan's arc in the book got so weird too, like he's basically there to handle alpha & presumably force maggie to do something that's gonna cause a rift...but again, the actor's so much better than the character so i too hope he doesn't stray far

20 hours ago, Mr. Hakujin said:

Oh yeah, I think it'll easily continue for multiple seasons. AMC's CEO put out a release not long ago that they view TWD and Kirkman's post-apocalyptic world as a "franchise," one that could endure for "decades." They're apparently using Star Wars and Star Trek as models for how to handle the property.

3cPOz9MJIOQtq.gif

do not want - that's exactly how the showtime folks sounded before tying up dexter like shit.  

fear the walking dead like spinoffs i can ignore?  by all means, but the main show should tie up at some point long before - i'm all caught up on the book & it's been losing steam for a while now.  Kirkman's a short ways out of ending Invincible, don't know how much longer this story has in it either.  

On 11/16/2017 at 1:16 AM, The NZA said:

caught up!

Reveal hidden contents

3cPOz9MJIOQtq.gif

do not want - that's exactly how the showtime folks sounded before tying up dexter like shit.  

fear the walking dead like spinoffs i can ignore?  by all means, but the main show should tie up at some point long before - i'm all caught up on the book & it's been losing steam for a while now.  Kirkman's a short ways out of ending Invincible, don't know how much longer this story has in it either.  

See but I would have said that at several points throughout The Walking Dead's run and just when it gets insufferable it springs back to being interesting again.  I don't think Kirkman's going to end the series but I do think he's getting ready to kill off a whole bunch of people and maybe turn it over to someone else.

Comic spoilers

Spoiler

you're absolutely right with that being the cycle, yeah - i keep coming back as a result.  wondering how they'll keep steam after this arc, the whisperers could be a bit more exciting with time i guess. 

Edited by alive she cried
Added comic spoiler warning

Now I've been away from the comic for a while since I stopped my torrentingways. The last issue I read was...

comic spoiler

Spoiler

The one where Andrea died. It was a good issue, but I'm not sure what number that was. I caught a glimpse of a black woman in a fluffy pink coat on the cover of one of the issues on the stands. I picked it up just to make sure it wasn't Michonne an then set it back. I do plan on eventually catching up with the comic again.

On 11/21/2017 at 12:07 AM, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

This last episode (Gabriel and Negan one) was pretty damn brilliant. They have flashes sometimes.

Agreed, great episode! Gabriel is really growing on me. And that story Negan told Gabriel was straight outta the "Here's Negan" comic in IMAGE+ magazine.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:16 AM, The NZA said:

...do not want - that's exactly how the showtime folks sounded before tying up dexter like shit.  

Yeah, I don't think you're gonna see an end to AMC's TWD anytime in the near future. I had no idea they were thinking of franchising Dexter though. I thought the problem with Dexter was they fired the original showrunner. That and the two main actors got divorced. Awkwarrrrd.

• 3 weeks later...

...well, shit

why coral?! i guess the kid's got somewhere else to be?  everything made it seem like that was morgan's spot, they teased michonne but she's got andrea's role so it'd be way too soon (then again they re doing their own there here & there anyway) but i did think it might've been ezekieel 

also fuck eugene forever

related:

[IMG]

...should we be worried? 

6 hours ago, The NZA said:

...well, shit

Re:S8E8

Cawwwwwrrrllll!!!! Nooooo!!!  Damn. Walker bite on the fucking side no less WTF? Was it like an elementary kid walker that got him at that angle? Seriously weird spot for a bite is all I'm sayin'. 

I know the ratings are sagging a bit, but this seems drastic. This season has been uneven and this episode especially was a hot mess. Also, according to this interview with Riggs, Carl's death is what's supposed to motivate Rick to not want to kill Negan in the show. Eh, I'm not sure this is the best way to do that. We'll have to see how it all plays out in 2018 though. As for predictions, my guess is the time jump in the series will be more significant than the comics, and Judith will be closer to Carl's age when S1 started, maybe even a teen.

Also,  yes, fyck Eugene and his cowardly indecisiveness. But never the mullet. The mullet is infallible.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
Business in the front, party in the back.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

'Walking Dead' shakeup: Scott Gimple out as showrunner; Angela Kang promoted

scott-gimple-angela-kang.jpg?w=1000&h=56

damn, that season 6 cliffhanger bullshit really did catch up with dude