Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

they ordered 13 eps for next season, i believe. i'm sure it was a cost thing...they didn't know how well the show would do so they only ordered 6 the first season, just in case it bombed. they're probably kicking themselves now for not doing a full season.

Oh you Americans and your long seasons. Over on our side of the Atlantic we drive on the wrong side of the road and some of the best shows are around 6 (sometimes 4!) episodes a season for their entire run. I'd blame JJ Abrams for this if he didn't do such a darned good job on Star Trek.

Regarding this week's ep...

Comics Spoilers

I was so hoping for a misderect with Amy & Andrea!! Unlikely, but goddamnit now we're stuck with Laurie Holden's ancient arse for the next few years. Otherwise, good effort to thin out the unnecessary herd they've gathered. Did anyone else case out the hospital like I did, and think for a second how nice it'd be for *comics-as-we-know-him-now* Rick to just take the fucking place over?

Predictable leadership crisis is about to come to a head, but I don't see it being as black and white(heh) as in the comics, what with Shane actually doing some good for the crew as opposed to being a whiney shit in the book.

Edited by alive she cried
Added Comics Spoilers

Regarding this week's ep...

I was so hoping for a misderect with Amy & Andrea!! Unlikely, but goddamnit now we're stuck with Laurie Holden's ancient arse for the next few years. Otherwise, good effort to thin out the unnecessary herd they've gathered. Did anyone else case out the hospital like I did, and think for a second how nice it'd be for *comics-as-we-know-him-now* Rick to just take the fucking place over?

Predictable leadership crisis is about to come to a head, but I don't see it being as black and white(heh) as in the comics, what with Shane actually doing some good for the crew as opposed to being a whiney shit in the book.

Re: Re this week's episode [s1E4]

The last ten minutes were some of the most

disturbing zombie walker attacks I can ever recall seeing! They set up the emotional impact of Andrea's sister's death beautifully. From the fishing scene, to the birthday present, to the poor bitch just wanting some toilet paper then being fucking eaten to death! DAMN! Not sure why she didn't "turn" though. Maybe that's where the next episode picks up?

I'm thinking Merl/Rooker might've led those walkers to camp? A stretch, I know. But possible. However, I'm positive we're not done w/ Merl yet--he has the truck and the truck has the hose needed to get the RV moving.

Not sure how I feel about the hospital of "vatos" plot detour. It played out a bit lame, but I think it was good to show how other pockets of humans are surviving in Zombielanta (ZTL?).

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I did, then again I read the credits. What are you trying to say Panch, that Hondos is full of illiterate motherfuckers?

Yes.

I'm not illiterate, but I didn't know that Kirkman wrote the episode. Mainly b/c I don't have cable and DL'd a version of the show w/ no credits. So is Darabont directing all of these episodes or just the first one?So what's your point in mentioning Kirkman wrote S1E4, Panch?

Because all Kirkman haters (Jay) needed to know.

As President, Secretary & Treasurer of the Kirkman-haters club, I give not a fuck who writes the episodes. It's adapted from the book, which I like but it's still an adaption and therefore, can disappoint me @ any given moment.

So who wants to speculate why Kirkman took us on a trip through Cholo General Hospital(credit to Haku)? Maybe to showcase Rick's state of mind now Vs 3 seasons from now?

PS- My policy on credits is the same as women: If I care enough to know their name I'll stick around to hear their story, otherwise I just wipe my dick on their knee and leave bus fair on the dresser.

At Haku: the team that went in ATL assumed Meryl took the van/truck, that doesn't mean it's necessarily so.

Jax is right. Paedozombies are still around, just because Kirkman isn't writing about them.

walking right on by alll that mess whistling.gif

Goddamn it.

I started reading TWD yesterday, and im 5 in.

you & sen both! gotta get her on here about it.

last week's ep:

Comics Spoilers

totally thinking the hospital is to show how far Rick's gonna go later on, yeah. and ok, evilHick may not've necessarily taken the van, but it'd be a an odd red herring if he didn't.

camp invasion was awesome, helped break the tension of what must've been among the worst of Lori's acting. don't get me wrong, the crew around the campfire seems more Lost than WD at times, but she really does stick out like a black kid at a country concert. shit, woman; frozen slack-jaw is not method acting.

Added Comics Spoilers

The first episode was really pretty darn faithful to the book, but with every episode diverging more, and now with this entirely new plot line

with the CDC,

I'm starting to think that maybe

Comics Spoilers

Shane won't be killed, not at the end of this season, or by Carl, or Rick, or anyone anytime soon, despite how they teased it with Shane lining up his sights on Rick with his shotgun in the woods.

Added Comics Spoilers

If it weren't based on a material I'm fond of I'd have probably dropped this by now. Feedback here is showing that they risk disenfranchising their built-in audience by fucking with the story. I mean, Sir Zac Snyder's shown at this point that few fanboys wish to be suprised when seeing comics on-screen.

Calling it now: Shane will be the new Lafayette.

If it weren't based on a material I'm fond of I'd have probably dropped this by now. Feedback here is showing that they risk disenfranchising their built-in audience by fucking with the story.

Yeah, the downfall of a show that draws like 5.5 million viewers a week will be the disenfranchisement of a certain percentage of the fanbase for a book that sells about 1% of that 5.5 million in the number of issues. Regardless of whether the show stays faithful, if it is good, it will be fine. Now, whether it will be good or not, I think is still up in the air.

Frank Darabont fires a bunch of Walking Dead writers

The last episode was a much bigger departure than the previous 3 (episodes 2 through 4), and I'm a bit skeptical, but I'm reserving judgment til the finale this Sunday.

Some changes I've really dug, like

how Andrea handled Amy's death

and other things, though seemingly small, I really miss, like

Carl wearing Rick's hat and learning how to shoot a gun.

Unlike several other people here however, I have no problem with Lori's acting. I've been watching the past two episodes consciously looking out for it, and I'm not seeing what people have against it. I'm wondering if they are confusing bad acting with not liking her character.

Edited by Reverend Jax

...Calling it now: Shane will be the new Lafayette.

michaelno.gif

Yeah, the downfall of a show that draws like 5.5 million viewers a week will be the disenfranchisement of a certain percentage of the fanbase for a book that sells about 1% of that 5.5 million in the number of issues. Regardless of whether the show stays faithful, if it is good, it will be fine. Now, whether it will be good or not, I think is still up in the air.

Frank Darabont fires a bunch of Walking Dead writers

The last episode was a much bigger departure than the previous 3 (episodes 2 through 4), and I'm a bit skeptical, but I'm reserving judgment til the finale this Sunday.

Ditto. The CDC turn could prove an interesting detour.

And that's an interesting tidbit about Darabont "purging" the writers. It didn't really mention why he fired them though. Was he unhappy w/ plot, dialogue, character arcs, what?

Some changes I've really dug, like

how Andrea handled Amy's death

and other things, though seemingly small, I really miss, like

Carl wearing Rick's hat and learning how to shoot a gun.

I dug that, too. She waited until she came back so she could "tell her" what she needed, too. Very dramatic scene. And I think the stuff w/ Carl is coming. Why wouldn't it?