Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

Yeah, if this show still bared any resemblance to the comic before last nights episode, then Episode 6 put to rest any such resemblance. I really do not see the point of this

CDC trip. Was it to explain the 'science' of a zombie outbreak? That was never the point of the story. It was about the human experience of the complete collapse of civilization and the emotional impact of it. Not all this. The zombies are just the scenery, not the story.

Anyway, it's not that it's bad, just a bad interpretation in that it's missing the point.

I wouldn't say it was the worst ever. It had its moments, but Jax is right.

Why are we learning ANYTHING about how the zombies work?

Also, I have plenty of tits online. I'm ready for season 2 right now! Some Walking Dead is better than no Walking Dead.

Comics Spoilers

CDC guy told rick he saw Shane try to get busy with Lori on the tapes, and season 2 opens with Shane receiving a cap to the head. that or his wife is pregnant. my guess at least. :p

Disappointing? yeah, but it was the first season and that deserves a pass I think.

that and now that we know for sure that a cure isn't coming, the story can focus on survival.

Edited by alive she cried
Added Comics Spoilers

Comics Spoilers

What the Doc whispered in Rick's ear was obvious... he wished he had one more night with him. Nah, just kidding. The results of the blood tests... and the bun in Lori's oven. DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUNNN!

Added Comics Spoilers

I didnt even think of that Panch.

That or

that everyone is infected and death spawns zombies, bitten or not...

At the very least, now that they've seeingly killed off most of the non comic based characters, (with a few stupidly named exceptions TDOG) hopefully S2 will introduce us to the awesome ones....

Just watched the finale.

While I didn't hate it I will say it was a bit of a damp squib. I've sort of made my peace with them fucking with the comic now. It was always going to happen. Maybe Darabont was right to sack all the writers after all though?

Nothing that can't be put right in season two I guess.

Caught up with the last two episodes last night. once again, I didn't read the books, but I'm liking where it's going so far.

unless it ends up being like lost. in which case i will be beyond pissed.

WTF IS WRONG WITH THAT TOE???

My toenails grow really weird and so like, every year I have to rip the big nails off so the new ones that are growing underneath can flourish. Or something.

I wonder if Kirkman is one of the fired writers? LOL!

I don't understand all the hateration for S1E6. I dug the whole Doc storyline and the TS19 exposition. Not the best episode this season, but still pretty good. Sets up S2 nicely.

CDC guy told rick he saw Shane try to get busy with Lori on the tapes, and season 2 opens with Shane receiving a cap to the head. that or his wife is pregnant. my guess at least. :p

Disappointing? yeah, but it was the first season and that deserves a pass I think.

that and now that we know for sure that a cure isn't coming, the story can focus on survival.

You're exactly right on the money with the second spoiler. I thought that was the long-term reason for the CDC trip as well. And I thought the same thing as you and Panch about that infamous whisper the Doc gave Rick.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Setting a tone of survival in a series about zombies is about as redundant as it possibly gets. Infact that's going to be my new 'that's as redundant as...' device. Let's call a spade a spade which in this case is deliberate stalling and cheap shock value. I went along with Kirkman's trip to the hospital which they inexplicably left as a showcase of the collective mentality now as opposed to down the road, but this CDC shit was a shoddy attempt to throw readers of the book a curve ball.

Let's look at the characters from two perspectives here shall we? Those who've read the book and those who've not. Forgetting what I know from the books, this is a cast made up of the least likeable character tropes I've seen in a series. I mean, our two leading females are a weak, nagging whore and a woman who clearly took Linda Hamilton on as a life-model and most importantly, neither are hot!. Rick's a decent, if not slightly retarded

Oh THURR'S mah grenade that I pocketted a while ago and forgot about 5 minutes later when I could have used it

leader-type, Shane's slightly more intriguing but replace genuinely tragic hero from the series with redneck who loves frogs, T-Dog needs to die so goddamned bad. Dedicate an entire episode to them please just shooting and cutting him and in the end throwing him to a pack of zombies I will watch that over and over please god please...

The characters carrying this show thusfar are the redneck bros, one of which is MIA but probably the sole reason I'd hit up season 2.

I'm definately with Haku and Dr. G, I loved this series. The last episode wasn't the best finale ever but it certainly wasn't the worst. I think it's one of the best new series I've seen in a while and a excellent adaption of the book.

Also

Link

The Walking Dead Writers Not Fired!

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, "The Walking Dead" executive producer Gale Anne Hurd ("The Terminator," "Aliens") refuted reports that creator and director of the hit AMC's show Frank Darabont fired all of the writing staff. She also confirmed that all the principle actors (meaning those, whose characters will survive the first season coming to a close this Sunday) – are signed to the multiple seasons of the zombie series.

Earlier this week Deadline reported that Darabont, creator of "Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile," had dismissed show's writers, including "Murder One" co-creator Charles "Chic" Eglee, but yesterday Hurd claimed the statement was untrue. "It's completely inaccurate," she told EW exclusively. "[in] the writers' room, there are people that have set up other projects that will be their first priority if their own series is picked up as a pilot or if it's a series. I think [Eglee] just decided that he wants to run his own show."

Hurd also said "The Walking Dead" is likely to be back on the screens in October. "I think Frank and Robert [Kirkman, writer of the "Walking Dead" comic and an executive producer on the show] will sit down early next year, to begin mapping it out." She also confirmed that "every one of the principal cast is signed up for multiple seasons."

So looks like we don't need to worry about the writers and the actors in the show, but there is still concern about Greg Nicotero – the makeup effects legend, who created the great look of the zombies in the TV-series, and even played some of the "walkers" himself. However, it's rumored that Nicotero wants to debut as director with adaptation of horror novel "Drive-In" by Joe R. Landsdale. "We certainly hope he'll be back," said Hurd. "As with everything, it's subject to availability. But he's a very important member of the team as are his colleagues at [Nicotero's effects house] KNB. KNB will still be [doing] our makeup effects."

Hurd admitted that she was impressed by the unexpected success of "The Walking Dead" which scared up the biggest ratings to date last Sunday. "When you think about, it's still genre, and a lot of people might think, well, it's a zombie show it's not for me. But we've found that it has broader appeal than initial expectations," the producer explained.

In the meantime, fans of the show are all excited to see the conclusion of the show's first chapter, when season finale "TS-19" airs this Sunday.

I'm definately with Haku and Dr. G, I loved this series. The last episode wasn't the best finale ever but it certainly wasn't the worst. I think it's one of the best new series I've seen in a while and a excellent adaption of the book.

Also

Link

Nothing on the toe? you sold out the Toetalitarians man

Having finally had the time to sit down with it all and watch it the feeling I got from the vato and the CDC eps in the series is that these were things that Kirkman wanted to do in retrospect but because he was so far in he didn't want to add to the books. I think not having a HUGE OMG WTF BBQ I HAVE TO SEE NEXT SEASON ending works better for me. I'm kinda sick of those and the beauty of the books is that it is very subtle and the little things keep you coming back.

the "focusing on survival" is pretty big for the characters, since the big debate in ep 5 was should we stay or should we go? with hope basically shattered, they can start looking for somewhere to live/plant roots. somewhere secure, let's say. behind bars.

went in a different direction but i'm totally still on board. gonna be a long year...oh, yeah: i think axel's notion of what was whispered was kinda intriguing, we'll see though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Holy shit, this is fucking awesome.

Link

Stephen King Penning an Episode of The Walking Dead?

Laurie Holden, co-star of AMC's comic book zombie The Walking Dead, has let slip more info at C2E2 today about the king of horror himself... stephen-king-picture-1-horzwalking-dead.jpg

The actress Laurie Holden (Silent Hill) who plays Andrea on the AMC series, said at C2E2 today Stephen King is in talks to write an episode for season two of
The Walking Dead
TV show!

The Walking Dead
series producer Frank Darabont has a long creative relationship with King, as Darabont adapted the instant classics
The Shawshank Redemption
and
The Green Mile
. Oh and
The Mist
too.

• 3 months later...