Hondo's Bar

Green Lantern Movie

After finding out that DC wants to cockblock Fox out of using Reynolds for the Deadpool movie, I actually am willing this movie to be as bad as it looks.

cosigned. this movie is looking like an amalgamation of the worst parts of Iron Man, Superman, and The Fantastic Four.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys mean THIS trailer? I had my doubts, but now I'm excited...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2sZgO3OMk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2sZgO3OMk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2sZgO3OMk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

hakus - haha yeah but we're not gonna escape that here...christ, i had a Prof X figure as a kid with a sixpack. really though, i mean the suit looks less bad in motion but ive still no idea why it had to be CG at all, to be honest.

still hopeful, even if im not sure ill get half the effort we got with Batman Begins.

baytor - wait, really? where'd you read this? sucks if true.

You guys mean THIS trailer? I had my doubts, but now I'm excited...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2sZgO3OMk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2sZgO3OMk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2sZgO3OMk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Meh.

I'll give 'em credit for having ambition w/ the CGI costume. Granted the technology has come a long way since the horrid cape in SPAWN, but it's still looking too fake. And the milky-white glaze over his eyes for the mask is fucking distracting to say the least. Either go all white w/ the eyes or not. However, like I said before, I'm gonna give this one a shot and go in hopeful, but w/ lower expectations. Most of the action in the film is supposed to take place in space anyway, so perhaps the CGI costume won't look as fake in those CGI settings.

Granted the technology has come a long way since the horrid cape in SPAWN, but it's still looking too fake.

this is such a funny statement for me; i recall the cape being about the only thing i dug about that movie...granted, it's been forever now (thankfully) but was it horrid in like '98 or whenever it came out?

hoping you're right about the CG costume as a backdrop for all the space stuff. i can say this much on what we've got here: Kilwog does indeed look great.

ps BIG ASS POTENTIAL VILLAIN SPOILER RIGHT HERE

Kk5ED.jpg

WTF is that Parallax? already?! damn.

For the time, Spawn had fucking groundbreaking CG (with the exception of the brief scene that takes place in Hell) so I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the cape, though it doesn't look great now.

Also, for all intents and purposes, Ryan Reynolds is playing Guy Gardner. Which is not as good as Hal Jordan admittedly, but still better than Rayner. I have no interest in listening to him whine for an hour and a half whilst fighting evil (mostly just whining.) Rayner should constantly have streams of tears running down his face, it would make a better mask than that large hunk of metal he used to wear.

For the time, Spawn had fucking groundbreaking CG (with the exception of the brief scene that takes place in Hell) so I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the cape, though it doesn't look great now.

. . .Also, for all intents and purposes, Ryan Reynolds is playing Guy Gardner. . .

facepalm.jpg

he's not really wrong though (and yeah, i recall the cape being a CGI feat in the day), but i poo-poo on the rayner-hate. Marz really was going places with him after Hero Quest & such arcs, but after he dipped (was it for Crossgen? i forget), too many other writers fell back on his early insecure days as his "character". nuts to that!

• 4 months later...

too many other writers fell back on his early insecure days as his "character". nuts to that!

Earlier? He's doing that now! I haven't read anything post-Blackest Night (for obvious reasons) but I distinctly remember his little Ion miniseries was just him floating around in space whining about how his new superpowers were too much responsibility, then about his Mom, then he fell in love with that chick from Sinestro's planet and he whined about how he wasn't sure he was in love with her and how it was forbidden. Meanwhile Hal Jordan gets put in a Balkins prison camp for like 6 months, fights his way out with nothing but his fists and feels bad about the other two pilots he endangered because he left his ring at home so it wouldn't be a crutch.

Get it while you can

My fanboy love for Hal Jordan from back in the day ensures I'll be there opening weekend in the 3D theater. However, I'm still put off by the pupils w/ the white eyes when the mask is present. Also, not sure why every alien GL appears to have a British accent. The CGI is still looking a bit sketchy to me, but as long as there's a story there to get me past Reynolds' one note acting I'm gonna be pleased.

I'm going in w/ lowered expectations though. Based on how things are shaping up now, I'm predicting this summer's top superhero flick will be Cap.

I'm going in w/ lowered expectations though. Based on how things are shaping up now, I'm predicting this summer's top superhero flick will be Cap.

My prediction is Thor, then Cap, then X-Men, then GL, and I don't even think GL is definitely going to be bad, but I don't think it'll outshine the other 3.

Marvel has been making sure all their press the past few months has been about Thor and Cap, not 2012's Avengers, but WB has been hyping The Dark Knight Rise and the new Supes movie more than GL, and I kinda wonder why that is. Might be a disastrous decision, because with the release schedule, there's no guarantee it'll stay at the top of the box office for more than 1 week.

cap > thor >>>>> gl? > xmen

that order seems about right as far as what i'm expecting my fave superhero films to be this summer. i'm hoping gl will outshine them all (pun!), but i'm not too optimistic that'll be the case at this point. i'm not so sure x-man and gl will be that far behind the two avengers films in terms of quality either. first class could be the dark horse that blows them all outta the water...

Archived