Hondo's Bar

Movie News

I figured I'll create a place in the movie forum to post day to day movie news. Basically this'll be your link to sites like aintitcool.com, cinema confidential, and imdb, I'll just pick and choose stuff I think is interesting and post it here. I'll try and point out what's real and what's rumored, feel free to comment and post your own movie news here as well.

So, in today's movie news:

August 8th

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terry Gilliam does Don Quijote?

Very cool, I didnt even know gilliam was trying to make this, but apparently he's been struggleing with it. It seems to be impossible to make a quijote movie, Orson Welles died before finishing his, and Gilliam's having big problems getting this one done, Johnny Depp is onboard to star.

gilliam tries to finish quijote

Another bit of info on ex-python Gilliam, his next movie (for sure) seems to be "good omens" an adaptation of a book by Terry Pratcher (discworld) and Neil Gaiman for all you comic folk, it's a "lighthearted fantasy about armageddon"

"The Antichrist comes to earth as a newborn baby, but a nurse accidentally switches him with another newborn, and for eleven years he grows up as a normal child. Two angels realize that the babies have been switched, and decide to try and find the Antichrist and prevent the end of the world."

Trailer for "garage days," Alex Proyas' (Dark city, the crow) next movie online.

I've got high hopes for this one, a coming of age comedy about a group of kids that form a band, departure from style, sure, but he's a great director, so I'll check it out.

trailer for "garage days"

He also has a fuckin great website. mysteryclock.com Lots of cool shit on there.

Wanna see a movie about alexander the great? How about 4?

Get ready for this, Oliver Stone (JFK, platoon), Martin Scorsese (Taxi Driver, goodfellas), Baz Luhrman (Moulin rouge), and Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Gladiator) all apparently want to do movies about alexander the great. ALSO, Mel gibson wants to do a 10 hour HBO miniseries about him.... I can't link you to much directly cause the news is scattered all over the place, but these aren't rumors. I don't know if they're all gonna get made, but everyone seems serious about it, especially Oliver Stone and Baz Luhrman, Scorsese seems serious, but he's already got Gangs of New York and Dino (movie about dean martin) coming out, so it'll be hard to pull off. I've only heard a few peeps about ridley scott's version, so I'd bet that one gets dropped. It'll be interesting to see how so many different people handle the same material, maybe Stone'll accuse Alexander of killing Kennedy, Scorsese will portray him as a psycho with a mohawk, and Luhrman will make it into a musical... Nice to see a sort of friendly competition going on between these guy for who can make the best alexander movie.

That's it for today, I'll try and keep it updated as recent as possible.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the budget vanished for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, some guy just pulled out, it was in limbo when last I heard.

But I'd be hyped if he made Good Omens, that's a brilliant book, by far Pratchett's best (and I've read all the Discworld books and they're not too shabby themselves). And it's not exactly two angels working to stop the end, it's an angel and a demon who've been on earth since the beginning (since the Garden of Eden) and who quite frankly like it as it is. They're the main characters along with a pretty young witch and a feeble witch-hunter who falls for her, the antichrist and his childhood gang and the Four Bikers of the Apocalypse (with the four OTHER bikers of the Apocalypse, you'd need to read the book).

I've never read any Gaiman, but it seems overall to be a Pratchett book like the others. I'd still recommend the book to anyone, a lot of good laughs, a fair bit of visual inspiration for my 'King of Snake' character came from the demon Crowley.

I just hope they cast the movie well...

Actually, KOS, some of the main reasons for Don Quixote's delays are due, in fact, to that famed bad luck. There've been many, I've heard. The biggest of which were one of the stars becoming desperately sick, a huge storm that caused a flash flood that swept away most of their equipment, and F15s from a nearby NATO base flying overhead "every 15 minutes". Tough conditions for a movie. Ironically, the documentary about the movie's delays - Lost in La Mancha - earned almost $70,000 in Britain last weekend, even though it only played in ten theatres.

As for all the Alexander the Great flicks - I think Ridley Scott's version was picked up by Luhrman, after Scott dropped out. That may be why there isn't any news on his project. All of them are still in very early development, though, so who knows?

As for an Alexander movie, Alexander was a king in his teens, and died at the age of 27. He was also said to look very slender and boyish. Mel Gibson doesn't seem to fit this. From what i've read and scluptures i've seen of alexander, he looks more like a younger Leo DiCaprio than a Mel Gibson. The reason his is so important the vast ammount of empathsis the Greeks put on looks. But we'll see if historical accuracy can survive the onslaught of hollywood politics.

Ya gotta be kiddin me...hell no historical details wont make it through.

Gibson played William Wallace, a man who was over 6', upwards of 200 lbs in a land & time when folks were my size, most times. He used a claymore around 30lbs (amongst a host of other weapons) with proficency, and ruthlessly buthered Enlgish troops & civllians since his teens, often saving various parts of their anatomy as "trophies". Nevermind the battle of Stirling Bridge, as it was in Braveheart, was devoid of a bridge at all.

Even then, they managed to keep a lotta the history accurate, surprisingly. But by no means was a charming Mel Gibson anywhere near the real Wallace, at least physically.

Nah, most moviegoers dont know that any more than they do the details of Alexander, I'm lookin just for quality of acting here, and between Braveheart, Hamlet & other different roles, Gibson should be good for it, i think. On with the movie news!

DiCaprio takes alot of shit, but he's not a bad actor. All I ever heard in high school from guys was how gay Leo DiCaprio was. It pisses me off because he totally doesn't deserve that shit. In fact you look at his roles, he's trying to pick good roles, and he does a really good job most of the time. I mean, he's no Brad Pitt, but he's better at picking his roles better than Ben Affleck. You haven't seen him do any stupid romantic comedies. What's Eating Gilbert Grape was good. The Basketball Diaries was good. Romeo and Juliet was interesting and if nothing else, a unique approach. He came off the highest grossing film of all time to play a star role in a low budget Woody Allen movie (lots of actor would have been to good for that). I heard the Beach was pretty cool. Gangs of New Yorks looks awesome. Plus he's going to be in a movie about Frank Abagnale Jr, the younger person ever to make the FBI's 10 most wanted list (before he was 18), which also stars Tom Hanks and is directed by Speilberg. What teh fuck to guys have against him. He's fucking cool in my book. And if Scorese wants to use him in an Alexander movie after working with him on Gangs of New Yorks, that just gives more credibility to his name.

I usually don't have much against DiCaprio. I've just hated most've his roles since Titanic...The Beach, included. I liked most've his stuff before that, though, and yeah he's not a bad actor. I'm hopin' he does a good job in Gangs. (Personally, though, my favorite of his roles was in The Quick & the Dead...not the best movie, but I liked that character)

Have yet to see the quick and the dead, but that further proof he's cool. I wonder what IC, local Western guru think of that movie? I'm sure he'll answer that as soon as he comes across this. Anyway, you shouldn't let one role turn you off to a great actor. Brad Pitt pissed me of in Meet Joe Black. I thought Keanu Reeves would have been better for the role. But that's ok, because no actor should be looked down upon for one or two bad roles, especially when the good outweights the bad.

Eh..most folks liked his role in Quick & The Dead 'cause he dies. I spoiled that 'cause its a shit movie; bacchus nailed it on the head by callin it a "Mortal Kombat western"; lotta shootouts with no reason. What i never understood was, Clint had to persuade Gene Hackman to play the rough sheriff in "Unforgiven" 'cause Hackman said he didnt want any more violent roles; the next year, he did this crap.

Anyway, I really didnt like this one, but then i thought Young Guns sucked too. Dont let these films sum up westerns for ya. :D

Ok so on with movie news (even tho its too late, i kept a rant goin, good luck bringin this thread back Junker).

True Lies was the last one, if you asked me (though I consider End of Days to be a guilty pleasure, but just for Gabriel Byrne as Satan). Here's hoping T3 is decent. Any more news on True Lies 2? Last I heard, Cameron didn't want to do a terrorism movie after Sept. 11th, but maybe he'll change his mind...

Last I heard, Cameron didn't want to do a terrorism movie after Sept. 11th, but maybe he'll change his mind...

Speilberg also said that he didn't want to ever do another World War II film afte Schindler's List because as a reborn Jew he thought that it was better to forget about the Nazi's instead of constantly protrayign them in film. Then about 5 years later he made Savign Private Ryan. George Lucas said we would never release a non-widescreen version of Star Wars. He did. Billy Joel said a few years back he was going to written only classical music from now on, then he quit that. People never mean what they say unless they get hit by lightening right after saying it.

Well, here's hopin'. I'd love to see another True Lies, but only with Cameron at the helm. I don't remember Spielberg sayin' that, but it seems kin'a pointless, anyway. A third of his movies are WWII-era, most with Nazis. It's a little late for him to be "forgetting about them".

Eh, was gonna try and make this all fancy, with regular updates looking like that first post, but there ain't enough news for that unless I do some gay ain'titcool.com shit and post nothing but spoilers, and rumors that jason vanderbeek is gonna play gambit or something, so fuck that, I'll just post shit as I see it.

The site for Punch-drunk love seems to be up. Punch-drunk love is the next movie from PT anderson (Boogie nights, magnolia), a director I've come to like. It has adam sandler in it, but it's far from a typical adam sandler movie. The site is really just three clips, click on "punch" and "drunk" for two different teaser trailers, and "love" is some random dancing... This really isn't a huge look at the movie or anything, but after seeing the clips you can tell that this isn't a trademark Adam Sandler movie. I'm dying to see this one, big fan of the director.

Punch-drunk love

Was just a joke, ainitcool and all these other sites are notorious for stupid, completely unfounded rumors started by 13 year old's who just got AOL or something. Just meant that I cant do big updates very regularly unless I want to start grabbing false crap from random places, so I'll just go with the flow.

As I was reading stuff today tho, I noticed that there's a movie called "Neverland" coming out in 2003. Has Johnny Depp, Dustin Hoffman, and Kate Winslet, and it's directed by the guy who did Monster's Ball. It's about the J.M. Barrie, the author of the original peter pan book, and his experiences with 4 orphans that inspired him to write it. Cast and director are rock solid, so it sounds cool. It's coinciding with the release of a live action Peter Pan movie simply called "Peter Pan"... not as excited about this one, but its happening. The story about the author sounds cool tho.