Hondo's Bar

Movie News

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Jason Isaacs is great (with the exception of that disastrous attempt at an accent in Black Hawk Down, but that can be forgiven) but he needs to be given some meatier roles. Like, Ralp Fiennes-type roles. Yeeeah. Hey, anyone else catch Isaacs' eye-cameo in Resident Evil? ...Anyone else SEE Resident Evil?

I'm glad you did, IC. I did, too. 'S weird. It's one of those movies I try NOT to like, but I can't really find anything to hate about it. I mean, sure, there's not much to the plot, but it's a zombie-survival movie based on a video game, what can one expect. The directing is good. The acting is good ('cept for Michelle Rodriguez). Even the writing was sometimes good. So...I can't find a reason to not like it, no matter how hard I try. Anyway, though...that was off-subject...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, good movie season has officially started. See, starting now, and ending with the oscars, most of the best movies of the year are gonna come out. It starts now because the Toronto Film Festival just started. This is a really big one that's second only to Canne's, so there's lots of really cool movies being shown off.

Stuff to look out for so far:

Frida - Movie about the mexican artist, Frida Kahlo, starring Selma Hayek, Ed Norton, Antonio banderas, Geoffrey rush, directed by Julia Taymor (Titus) Heard good things, especially about Hayek's performance.

Ken Park - Well, you should know what to expect form the director of Kids... yeah, this one's been causing a lot of ruckus for disturbing and offending festival goers... you know you're gonna watch it, just like you turn your head to see bloody car wrecks...

Bowling for Columbine - Documentary thats getting a lot or praise and exposure, sure to be in the bigger theaters over here. Director Micheal Moore goes around asking questions about gun control and why America has so much gun related crimes. Not as boring and typical as it sounds, this guy did a docu. a while back called "Roger and me" that was fucking great, so I expect this one to be good too.

Spider - David Cronenberg's (The fly, eXistenZ, Scanners, Videodrone) newest movie. About a guy in a halfway house for mental patients and his fucked up childhood. Cronenberg is a pretty interesting director, he used to do B- horror movies and applies that depraved mentality to serious movies. This one's sure to be cool.

Gerry - This one's got lots of people either loving it or hating it. Its about Casey Affleck and Matt Damon lost in a desert. That's about it. Directed by gus van sant (good will hunting), it's supposed to be existential and waiting for godot-ish. Seems interesting enough to watch.

More stuff I hear about on the way.

Oh, and I found one of the best trailers in the world, fucking hilarious, I think. Jerry seinfeld's got a movie coming out called the comedian, the trailer has little to do with the movie, and more to do with other movie trailers.

Check it out here

By the way, I wanted to feel like a mainstream movie liking idiot, so I'm following Junker's post about the latest deep artsy movies that I'm pretty sure I'm not cool or elite enough to qualify for knowing exist (deep breath), with news about Spider-Man and Episode II. Back in May with Spidey's big opening, some people were wondering which movie would do better, spidey or epi2. WEll, sinc ethe numbers are just about set in stone and neither movie is going to make more than 1 or 2 million more at the box office at this point, let's compare: Spidey: $403,706,375, Epi2: $300,669,320. Well, Spidey didn't overtake Titanic like would have made every hope I had for humanity come true, but overtook Epi2 by an incredibly impressive lead.

Those are ones you'll probably find in theaters, I'm trying to write about the stuff that's getting a lot of press and is likely to come out in a theater you can see it in. Very little of it is indie. The toronto film fest is fucking huge. It's simply where most oscar contender types screen their stuff. I'm just trying to let you know what to look out for when you go to the theater, cause very little of these get advertised on TV. These are the ones that come out in theaters for a bit and later everybody sees it on video and wonders "Why hadn't I heard about that when it was in theaters?" The stuff that does well here is the stuff that ends up on our movie screens and video shelves.

Oh, and I think the really REALLY good news would be if Minority Report earned more than Episode two. Anyways, none of this stuff is all that high class and artsy for anyone to know about. They're just regular movies. But instead of hyping them to you a for a few years, and hoping to get by on a trailer with a few explosions in it, they're gonna try to sell it to you on the quality of the entire movie in a film fest. Mots of the best movies you've seen probably debuted at some film fest and won an award then got passed on to major theaters, it's just the way most things work. My point is to just look out for these in theaters, because they might not be advertised too much.

:ill: :pimp:

Will do. As far as how other movies did compared to Epi2. L&S: $142,137,507 (Yes, IC, you should see it), MP: $130,612,530

As for a serving of justice, LOTR FOTR: $313,322,223 (Betting Epi2 even with the not summer debut!)

The saddest news for me is that PPG: $11,321,595 (Damnit, that was a fun movie!)

The trailer for adaptation is finally out!

Adaptation is the next movie from the creators of Being John Malchovich, Spike Jonze and Charlie Kaufman. It's about a writer trying to adapt a book called "The Orchid Theif." Trailer looks pretty fuckin cool so far, I just hope they handle the "twin" thing well.

here it is

I never saw human nature, heard it was alright, lots of people said it tried too hard to be off the wall and weird, I'd give it a shot tho, just cause of Tim Robbins and The screenwriter.

Oh, and I saw the trailer for phone booth today in front of one hour photo... looks fucking AWESOME! That's the first movie trailer for something I've never heard of in a long time that really excited me. Excellent premise. Yeah, I know you people see Joel Schumaker and you think "HE FUCKED UP BATMAN!" which he did, but his non-batman stuff includes some cool ones like falling down, tigerland, the client, a time to kill, and lost boys. I'm really fuckin' dying to see this new one after I saw that trailer.

Also, some pretty big films premiered this weekend in toronto.

Denzel Washington has his directorial debut with "Antwone Fisher," movie's about teh life of a "fight-prone Navy Sailor" who starts seeing a shrink. Was received pretty well far as I have read, shoudl be one to look out for.

Brian De palma also has a new one called "Femme Fetale" A styleish detective thriller, about a sexy member of a ftheft ring and a photographer that gets tangled up with her. Has Antonio Banderas and Rebbecca Romaijn Stamos. Doesnt sound so great, but this is the man who directed Carlitos Way, Scarface, The Untouchables, and the First mission Impossible, I think he's done enough good to get my interest in his next flick.

Other than that, Phone Booth and Punch drunk love, the one by PT Anderson (magnolia, boogie nights) and adam sandler premiered, and were well received too. So, if the general Consensus about these movies is right at all, we've got a bunch of fine movies coming our way soon.