Hondo's Bar

Movie News

Yes, I'm excited. I read about this liek two months ago and I was excited., but classic is a kind of sacred word. A film major above all else should know that! It's a statement of timelessness, that a movie has stood teh test of time and there's something about it that will never make it obselite. Except for Extreme cases, I say you can't call a film a classic until ten years after release. You can say "destined to becoem a classic" or something, but to call a film that hasn't come out yet a classic is like saying a president will be the next Abraham Lincoln before he wins the primaries.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slated for Summer 2004 release, Troy, based on The Iliad, will star Brad Pitt as Achilles and Eric Bana (Hulk) as Hector. For those of you who haven't read The Iliad, Achilles is the greatest Greek warrior, who's also a whiny bitch with a fragile ego. Can't want to see who's cast as Helen (most beautiful woman in the ancient world) and Paris.

Well, actually, if the movie is based only on the Illiad, they wont have to deal with the achilles heel thing because the book ends before he dies. It ends at Hectors funeral. So there's no achilles heel or trojan horse in the book really, though I could see them adding all of it in. Wolfgang Peterson is going nuts with huge movies about huge people trying to kill each other. He's got this one, and batman vs superman coming out, hope he pulls it off, there's plenty of potential for some badass stuff.

All kinds of good movies are coming out in a couple of days, I'll try to give a rundown, especially for us folks in Miami, but this should apply anywhere, just look out for em.

Punch Drunk Love - Finally opening here in Miami. Movie by PT Anderson (Boogie nights, Magnolia) with a supposedly fuckin great performance by (beleive it or not) adam sandler.

Spirited Away - Another one that just reach Miami, playing only at the beach though. A fuckin great anime that's not just for anime fans at all. Check out my thoughts on it HERE

Well worth the drive to the beach.

Bowling for Columbine - A documentary about gun control that people have been raving about ever since it hit film festivals. Not some typical sappy thing, Micheal Moore, the maker of it, is funny, aggressive, and makes usually makes good points, his previous docu, "roger and me", was great.

The Grey Zone - A fucked up holocaust movie about a group of Jews that was given certain privelages for helping to kill other Jews in the concentration camps. Described as hard to watch, but pretty good, it's not gonna cheer your day up, but it's one of the few holocaust stories I haven't heard already, so it seems like it could be worth watching. Playing only at the beach, dont knwo if it's worth the trip when so much else is out, but it doesnt look bad.

Frida - Supposedly coming out on friday but I cant find it in Miami yet, it's about Mexican painter Frida Kahlo starring Selma Hayek and by the Director of Titus, a GREAT fuckin movie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hasn't been any decent news for a good while, but I found something very interesting today

Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot"

Will Smith Starring I could care less about, I guess he could do well in a sci-fi, bladerunner-ish role, but it's directed by Alex Proyas! The genius behind Dark City! That other movie (Garage Days) that he was making seemed to dissapear off the face of the earth, but the thought of him doing more sci-fi is cool as hell.

Other than that, we have the december rush of movie goodness coming our way. Here's some release dates.

Adaptation - Comes out on Friday!!!! December 6th! The writer and the director or Being John Malchovich (Charlie Kaufman and Spike Jonze) are out to keep fucking with your head. This one's about a writer trying to adapt a book to the big screen that's based on a true story. Trailer is great! Nic Cage is starring.

Analyze that - Also comes out friday. If it's as funny as the first, sign me up.

I'll post more demeber release dates when I got more time, it's gonna be an insane month.

as promised, here's what's coming out for the rest of the month.

dec 13th.

Star Trek Nemesis: Ya know, some of these flicks are good even if you're not a trekkie or whatever. There's an even/odd number rule about these, and it predicts that this one will be cool. I'll see it if I get the chance. Special effects look kick ass.

About Schmidt - I'm hyped about this one, the director of Election with Jack Nicholson in the lead. Premise is simple enough, "Warren Schmidt is a man in his 60's. While trying to run his daughter's life, he realizes that he wasted his."

Dec 18th.

Two Towers: Do I even have to mention this one?

Dec 20th

Gangs of New York: Aww yeah, Martin Scorsese is back! About New York in the mid 1800's, it's about the Irish Immigrants clashing with the Anglo-Saxon natives. Big epic gang wars ensue, can't wait for this one!

Antwone Fisher - Denzel Washington's directorial debut, looks pretty cool so far, sure to have great performances.

25th hour - Spike Lee's next flick, with Ed Norton in the lead, about a man's last night of freedom before a seven year jail sentence for drug dealing. I think Spike Lee can be hit and miss, but he's always interesting so I'll be lined up for this one.

Dec 25th

Catch me if you can - More speilberg! About the youngest man ever to be on the FBI most wanted list, this one looks like pure, unadulterated fun, I'll be first in ine for it. Decaprio, tom hanks, christopher walken and Martin sheen star in it.

Dec 27th

Pinnochio - Yes, a live action version, no, not a hollywood scheme to make money. Roberto Benigni, the crazy little Italian guy who made "Life is beautiful", decided to make his version of this classic fairy tale. It's doing amazingly well in Italy and getting all kinds of hype, so I'm really interested in this one.

Chicago - Another good musical? Well, the broadway version is supposed to be good, and the trailers look promising. And Richard Gere.... in a GOOD movie??? I'll beleive it when I see it.

The Hours - Winning every award under the sun. About the life and influence of author Virginia woolf with all kinda of crazy acting from Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore, and Meryl Streep. This one'll be all over the Oscars.

Confessions of a Dangerous mind - George CLooney's directorial debut. Written by Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malchovich, Adaptation) It's the true story of a man who was a TV producer by day, CIA assasin by night. I've heard nothing but good about it so far.

The Pianist - A composer and Pianist survives the dustruction of the warsaw ghetto and concentration camps of WW2. See the trailer and you'll be excited. Also Roman Polanski's (Rosemary's baby, Frantic, Chinatown) comeback. Looks very cool.

And those are just the big ones, I'm sure I'm missing some of the good stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seminal 1980's TV show "Knight Rider" is to be made into a Hollywood movie - with original star David Hasselhof on board as executive producer. Revolution Studios have bought the rights to the action-comedy film and will turn give it the big-budget treatment.

Dunno about youse but I'm psyched......I can hear the theme tune now....

Knight Rider/ A-TEAM Saturdays were my reason for living when I was 12.

That opening sequence for Knight Rider in the desert with the car humming and the theme music going with the voiceover telling us about 'a man who does not exist"

Hey! I'll arrange free blowjobs for whoever tells me what KITT stands for...

[i heard something about an A-team movie somewhere...?]