Hondo's Bar

Sonic the Hedgehog 4!

Boogie

yes. if sonic 4 is not > Sonic 3D Blast, i will change my member title to a tag of your choosing for a month. if it is...you will uh, change yours to a tag of mine/Mr Hakujin's choice for one month. deal?

Oooooh no, Gentleman Gaga is not involved in our little bet here. This is between you and me.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick and Baytor: Why don't you find a game mag/website that has reviews with scores of Sonic games all the way back to Sonic 1, preferably one that has old archived reviews (so a review of Sonic 1 that was actually written and scored in 1991, untainted by nostalgia), as is also still doing reviews today, preferably using the same scale. I seem to remember EGM scoring games on a 100 point scale, and I think EGM was around in 1991. Look at the reviews of Sonic 1-3+Knuckles, and the reviews of all the atrocious Sonic games after. Looking at those scores, decide on a score that if met or exceeded, Nick would win, and if fallen short of, Baytor would win.

I love that tales from HondosCon permeat regular Hondos culture. I think the correct term would be 'Lord Gaga'

In going with your theme, I declare that he doesn't get to be a lord without a onesee and an American flag cape. (Of course, once I can get one of those English types to send me a Union Jack so that I can make a poncho from it, then his Lordship will be challenged)

Well, here's our first genuine surprise since the official reveal of Sega's Sonic 4: Sega, and its cherished Sonic Team studio, isn't developing the game.

Instead, Osaka-based Dimps will be. Best known for their recent work on Street Fighter IV with Capcom, Dimps will also be known to Sonic fans as the developers behind games like Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance.

Those titles are among the best Sonic games in recent memory, showing that while the blue hedgehog continued to blunder through ill-suited 3D environments, there was still life in the concept of a fast, 2D Sonic game.

Meaning this is a rare example of smart thinking by Sega Japan, realising that if this game had any chance of success whatsoever, it was best to put it in the hands of somebody not only experienced at decent 2D Sonic games, but also did not have "Sonic Team" on their business cards.

Sega is finally doing something right this gen.

• 2 months later...

fuck. i needs details. are they just upset about the 3-D homing controls still being present, or something worse?

*edit: its the homing attack. half the community thinks this breaks the game for not having been in the classic 1-3, half things it might not. ill really need a demo to know for myself, but the reveal was a bit back so im not too worried myself...for me, this'll hinge more on level design than anything.

fuck. i needs details. are they just upset about the 3-D homing controls still being present, or something worse?

*edit: its the homing attack. half the community thinks this breaks the game for not having been in the classic 1-3, half things it might not. ill really need a demo to know for myself, but the reveal was a bit back so im not too worried myself...for me, this'll hinge more on level design than anything.

dgs9ab.jpg

i guess. homing attacks and that video of the mine kart level =/= werehogs, RPG quests, mad friends etc. im seeing elements im not sure how they'll play out, but nothing game-breaking here.

Oh it always starts with something small, a little chink in the armor, but then the big cracks start to form around it and suddenly we're having God of War sequences and bestiality. I think the orchestra are already setting up on deck to play this sinking ship down into the icy waters.

things always happens the way i says from mah gamer chair cause thats how the world works maaah bring me some cheetohs

you might be right, but from what newt and others are saying, the whole game can be seen played online now (leaked). if they manage to swindle in shadow in a last-minute patch to the release, you sir, shall be vindicated. me? again, if Sonic Unleashed hadnt made me run around on fucking fetch-quests idve said it was an alright game, so wonky physics in a 2D game still sounds alright, you know? just waiting on a demo here.

• 2 weeks later...

nz21ac.gif

ok, so ive tried to see - since as newt said, footage of the entire game being played has somehow leaked online, though i cant find it at the moment - to see if we really are back on the infamous sonic cycle, or if it's being overblown. so far, ive read the game does indeed have some of its levels structured around the homing attack (this part hinges on your feelings of said attack), and other stuff ive read says act 2 of most levels has some gimmicky level design, the only of which i can find details on is the mine cart level, so let's see that:

the mine cart level

thoughts:

1) hoo, boy. i uh...i guess

...?

2) i do hope that's the worst of the lot. it looks like the concept idea wouldve been fun, but it didnt pan out that way.

still looking forward to demo/reviews, but what do you guys think? flawed 2D sonic title could still be fun, or all hope is lost, or wha?

35k34ie.png

• 3 months later...