Hondo's Bar

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Newtype

Oh shit. Everyone get in your bomb-proof refrigerators, because Harrison Ford is about to drop the bomb. According to /Film, Ford says that he, Lucas and Spielberg have agreed on the plot of the next Indiana Jones movie, and the only thing they need now is a script. Now, since it took that trip the better part of two decades to agree on a script for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, this can go two ways, as /Film rightly points out:

1) It takes them just as long to agree on a script and one of them die before the movie can get made, thus sparing us a fifth movie.

2) Since Lucas wore Spielberg and Ford down already with his insistence that there be aliens in Crystal Skull, which they agreed to even though they hated the idea, they both no longer give a shit and will agree to whatever nonsense Lucas has written.

I feel like odds are we'll get a fifth movie, which makes me sad. Well, not sad, but anxious and worried. If I thought that these guys had any grasp on the franchise, I'd be at least hopeful that they could rectify some of the mistakes of Crystal Skull. But I don't and I'm not.

Link

Edited by The NZA
updated title

The only reason I've been able to pin down why most people have a reason not to like it is because it takes the movie serial feel of the first 3 films and did away with it, that and how the internet goes on its period every time aliens are inserted into another genre. Silent Bob and I were both agreed though, it was still much better than Temple of Doom (though the ending of Temple of Doom was awesome, I admit this)

Weren't they all shit and the only reason people don't like the new movies are because they are no longer kids, who don't like whatever the fuck is thrown at them? But because of nostalgia they can't admit these movies were all shit?*

*This is also extremely the case for Star Wars.

If Indy had shaved his hair off and shot a pimp you'd be jerking off to it as we speak.

If Indy had shaved his hair off and shot a pimp you'd be jerking off to it as we speak.

You.....shut up.

Actually though, no. If it had a fantastic story, and unbelievable acting then we could talk.

I find it strange when adults can't admit shite we liked when we were kids was well...shite.

Edited by alive she cried

You.....shut up.

Actually though, no. If it had a fantastic story, and unbelievable acting then we could talk.

I find it strange when adults can't admit shite we liked when we were kids was well...shite.

I see your complaint of bad acting/story and raise you one barely retooled news story and everybody not DeNiro or Keitel in that movie.

I didn't grow up with Indiana Jones, I didn't even see any of them until I was 12 and saw The Last Crusade, but I know a good movie when I watch it.

Man, the board calls me the elitist bastard who hates everything. If I'm Venom then you are totally Carnage. ^_^

Weren't they all shit and the only reason people don't like the new movies are because they are no longer kids, who don't like whatever the fuck is thrown at them? But because of nostalgia they can't admit these movies were all shit?*

*This is also extremely the case for Star Wars.

Jesus fucking Christ, ASC! Are you back on the ice again? Never but never put a keyboard in front of a methhead!

Sometimes it is, but I think the Indiana Jones movie were fun, and that DOES include the fourth one. The fourth one was a tad cheesy, but so were the first three. It was part of the fun. I very much felt that the fourth movie fit right in the series, unlike the Star Wars prequels, which no matter how you feel about them, did feel distinct from the original trilogy. As for people complaining about aliens...PU-LEASE!!! The first three movies had demonic lightning ghosts, disembodied beating hearts bursting into flames as the heartless body is dropped in lava, and a knight from the first Crusades that has stayed alive for 1000 by drinking magic Jesus water that heals gunshot wounds. If anything, an alien storyline GROUNDS the Indiana Jones mythology in reality.

Come on people, stuff we liked when we were kids was mostly shit.

And see, if you were talking about Short Circuit or or The Goonies or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, hell even Back to the Future I might agree with you. But you're talking about a movie that is legitimately well-acted, written, and put together. Indiana Jones wasn't a low-budget genre film like Star Wars, it starred Harrison Ford who was and remains one of the finest actors the world over, and though it's had its share of annoying supporting cast members (Short Round and the chick from Temple of Doom stand out as the two worst) I've never seen a performance that was anything less than good.

So while a good portion of the things that anyone liked when they were young does not stand the test of the time, Indiana Jones does, because it's a good movie. It wouldn't still be popular 20 years after part 3 of the trilogy came out if it wasn't.

• Like 1

How? Do you have proof that aliens exist?

No, but I can tell you this much, the other stuff I mentioned is NOT possible. Aliens are much more likely to exist than gunshot wound healing immortality inducing magic Jesus water.

And jeesh Baytor, it's Indiana Jones, not the Godfather. The fun of those movies was that they were a throwback to 1930's serial adventurer stories. It was not high art, it was really fun entertainment. Either way, we both agree on the basics, the original trilogy was great and part 4 fits in fine in the series.

And inter-dimensional beings whose corpses suddenly come to life and set a woman on fire with an information overload when exposed to the lost skull of one of their buddies is something that could maybe happen?

No it's not high art but it's hardly just a stupid kiddie film either and the throwback element was not lost on me. I'm just saying they're not shoddily assembled movies meant to pander to 8-year-olds.

Silent Bob and I were both agreed though, it was still much better than Temple of Doom

For real.

Indy 4 will always be superior because of its distinct lack of Willie Scott, who is, arguably, one of the worst and most annoying characters in cinematic history.

Why Spielberg decided to tap that and put a ring on it, I will never understand.

Sure, I've got my problems with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and do think Lucas just needs to stick with coming up with stories, then give them to capable writers, but it's nowhere near as bad as the fucking fanboys bitch about (the Star Wars prequels are another story).

Also, how are aliens any less realistic or believable than AN IMAGINARY MAN WHO LIVES IN THE SKY?

• Upvote 1

What I'm saying it that aliens are pretty much par for the course in this series. I don't see how aliens are any more fantastical than the stuff from parts 1 through 3. People were acting like it was introducing aliens into a James Bond or Rocky movie. It was not really out of place at all.

What.The.Fuck.

Are you sniffing the supplement powder?

• 6 years later...

You fucking monsters are getting your wish. It's happening.

Steven Spielberg will direct Harrison Ford in the untitled fifth installment in the action-adventure franchise, which will open July 19, 2019, Disney announced Tuesday.

“Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can’t wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019,” said Disney chairman Alan Horn. “It’s rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn’t be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven.”