Hondo's Bar

Boxing

The NZA

She's the world champion so you'll be backing a winning horse if you do. The shocking thing is up until recently her boxing club didn't even have a toilet or showering facilities. Now let me go back to what I was saying before; WORLD CHAMPION. They don't even show most of her fights on TV which is a damn shame, but every single fucking asshole is down the pub in their rugby jerseys watching that shit. Drives me nuts.

Sorry, rant over!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Pacquio got handled by JMM...money mayweather was right. don't know if i even want that fight to happen now.

i6G48twHpKkTk.gif

related

sergiowilliams.gif

rocky_throw_in_towel.jpg

KskoS.jpg

.YYDIK.jpg

you-got-knocked-the-f-out-o.gif

going back in for highlights, wish i could've seen this one live

ps in case Luis comes by, some money mayweather defensive highlights

23vl4ivjpg.gif

k8fiujpg.gif

ws6pyjpg.gif

10gzgxtjpg.gif

for posterity, that's him against the dude who just put pac-man to sleep

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lyn62If.jpg

Date: Saturday, September 14th, 2013

Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena

Time: 9:00 PM Eastern, 6:00 PM Pacific on pay-per-view

Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. (-280)

Saúl "Canelo" Álvarez (+220)

Lucas "La Máquina" Matthysse (-270)

Danny "Swift" Garcia (+210)

Showtime Event Website

Pay-Per-View Event Website

All Access: Mayweather vs. Canelo (Episode 1)

All Access: Mayweather vs. Canelo (Episode 2)

All Access: Mayweather vs. Canelo (Episode 3)

All Access: Mayweather vs. Canelo (Episode 4) Wednesday at 8:30 PM ET on Showtime

Floyd Mayweather vs. Robert Guerrero

Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto

Canelo Alvarez vs. Austin Trout

Canelo Alvarez vs. Josesito Lopez

Canelo Alvarez vs. Shane Mosley

Lucas Matthysse vs. Lamont Peterson

Lucas Matthysse vs. Mike Dallas Jr.

Danny Garcia vs. Erik Morales II

Weigh-In: Friday at 6:30 PM ET on Showtime

YBkq0pB.jpg

goddamn does it feel good to be hyped about some sports shit, this fight could be amazing. tempted to go in & bet on money schooling canelo but my boy likes to drag the fight out to a decision, so we'll see. the undercard looks to be another great fight, everything i'm seeing makes it look like Lucas will rock shit. can't wait for saturday.

ihnUgjAO1swyI.gif

iv7cSXLM0ATND.gif

canelobispl.gif

4-3qrA1.gif

FCBI4oo.gif

iGL7nXpLhAcm3.jpg

absolutely dominated 12 out of 12 rounds, taking home something like 82 million total...pretty boy Floyd could very well close out this showtime contract & retire at about 50-0 but he's gonna have to look hard for exciting competition right now, Danny Garcia had a good night but he's not nearly ready

casual fans & salty bets always say that after mayweather fights, cause he dances a lot - he did that in the later rounds here, but really went toe-to-toe more than i expected

people who say that largely aren't boxing fans, they're the kind that get catered to a couple times a year though, cause they'll pay for the PPV in hopes of seeing their favorite heel Floyd finally catch an L, but it's not happening here. if you wanted a Rocky type slugfest where dues block power punches with their faces, you're gonna be letdown every time money fights. if you're into the sport, you just saw one of the greatest defensive fighters show how it's done - amazing footwork, amazing ability to switch his style up on the fly, even let Canelo back him into the ropes & throw combos just to show he can't be hit.

TL;DR awesome match, beautiful boxing. some of the most technical prowess & speed since roy jones jr in his prime, and longevity to boot.

it was briefly a mess, because Ross (who's rightfully being destroyed on ESPN a few minutes back) called it a draw even though meyweather dominated the points for all 12 rounds, resulting in

ibmc4V8FhxeqC.gif

really helped put things in perspective when someone mentioned that she was the same one who gave it to Bradley over Pacquio a little while back

all the other non WWE judges called it for what it was though

people who say that largely aren't boxing fans...if you're into the sport, you just saw one of the greatest defensive fighters show how it's done - amazing footwork, amazing ability to switch his style up on the fly, even let Canelo back him into the ropes & throw combos just to show he can't be hit.

^ truth.

So I was too tired to stay up for the fight last night, but I watched it this morning. Another masterclass from Mayweather, I usually go for the underdog, but he's the exception here. It's just a joy to watch someone this talented do their thing. His style reminds me of football and how Americans (tongue.png) tend not to have the patience for calculated build up play that ends in a flourish of combination punches/passes.

As you already said Nick, hard to see where he goes for a competitive fight after this, Garcia fought well, but would certainly be demolished by Mayweather. It's a shame really because I'd love to see him tested again.

initially, that was pretty funny because its not uncommon on boxing vids on YT for people to use football analogies and others to get pissy "STOP TALKIN BOUT SOCCER ALREADY" but yeah, i could see what you're saying here. i mean there's nothing wrong with always wanting to loop "Tyson's greatest KO's" (even though there was more to the guy) but i imagine that's what hockey fans feel like when people just watch their best fights...you miss so much of the art. i know there's a lot to dislike about money & he plays the heel angle up even moreso for ticket sales, but these fights are gonna be studied long after he retires, just like i can't stop watching Sugar Ray Robinson ones now.

related: years back when i was first getting into it, i was a big fan of Roy Jones Jr....his speed was just phenomenal, and even Foreman was calling him the best pound-for-pound. i never came to terms with what went wrong at the end of his career, but going back & looking at it: he'd moved up to about heavyweight to fight Ruiz, then raced down several divisions (he claims he shed something like 25-30 lbs, and as cut as he was, that was largely lean muscle mass) but in doing so he really fucked up his physique, because i recall it was the first bout with Tarver that showed the loss of that super speed...and what was worse, his chin got kind've exposed because frankly, no one had been able to solidly hit him before. looking back, he was naturally gifted more than most any other fighter i can think of offhand, so skill & technique might not've been as pivotal as they are for someone like Mayweather. my best guess as to why Floyd retains so very much of said speed & technique at 36 is that a) he's said to be a gym rat/constantly training even without fights on deck, and b) he tends to fight at his natural weight, putting guys like Caneo at a big disadvantage.

ps the teamwork in that video was glorious, you really gotta put up more like it in the football/soccer thread man

• 2 weeks later...

was trying to find some stuff from more "exciting" fighters for you guys, so here's some quick tributes to Roberto Duran, arguably one of the best lightweights of all time

admittedly, i wish we had a pairing as exciting as that Duran/Sugar Ray match back there right now

i caught part of the undercard, but missed the main event of Vera vs Chavez Jr, going over highlights now...but its looking like the worst decisions since Bradley vs Pacquiao. 98-92 is literally what no one watching had, this shit makes it hard to love my sport sometimes.

BVTowmICMAE8M2E.jpg

...fuck it, time to just focus on the Bradley/Marquez fight next month. Pac-man fans got that one in November too, really hoping he climbs back up to give the fans the match with Mayweather many still wanna see.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Russian boxer knocks out thugs harrassing wife

"Surveillance cameras have captured the moment a group of Russian thugs picked on someone their own size and sensationally lost.

Nicolai Vlasenko, a professional boxer and martial arts expert, didn't take too kindly to the gang harassing his wife to join them at their table at a bar in Starokorsunskaya in Russia's south.

When the 29-year-old told the men to leave his wife alone, the apparent leader, Leonti Yevdokimov, 33, suggested that they continue the discussion outside."

b6i7iKe.gif

fS0dwYC.gif