Hondo's Bar

Boxing

The NZA

• 5 months later...

An awful lot of people don't seem to understand boxing.

preach

if you wanted the fight to be more "exciting" by dirty casual standards, that's on pacman. he had a solid 2-3 rounds early on, couldn't seal the deal so he switched up his style and became too conservative to cash in on any openings

no style - even money's - is without flaw, but manny's ineffective flurries weren't gonna work. you wanna see a fight where someone was ready for floyd's defensive & capitalized on the inherent risks of clinching? watch this on mute:

...of course, floyd still won, because regardless of how the twitter equivalent of football fans who only watch the superbowl feel, money's established himself as one of the all time greats by taking on the best of his era and remaining undefeated. i get where that's not as entertaining to some as a straight slugfest, but that doesn't change a thing.

DamagedHandyDugong.gifPSCqaFW.gif

<script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

also this was great

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

so in the bigger recent fights, Pascal got absolutely wrecked by Kovalev - i've only caught the highlights, but damn, it looks like it should've been stopped sooner.

meanwhile, while many were hoping for the inevitable GGG (Golvkin) matchup, Canelo was announced for a bout with Amir Khan on May 7th, at 155

my friend who follows this a lot more closely was talking about the politics here (HBO vs showtime fighters, bob arnum's crooked ass in general/cold war shit etc) and the need for a cinco de mayo fight, but...Khan is gonna get washed here. it'll be a payday for dude, but he usually fights around 140 lately, and Canelo at like 170+

i mean, watch Prescott here outmove/handle him at an even lighter weight:

prescott_knockout.0.gif

i know there's always a puncher's chance etc but the odds here are gonna be interesting. also Pacquiao/Bradley III on April 9th - i don't mean to hate on pac-man, but a) Bradley winning would line him up nicely for a Canelo match and b) dude ain't been the same since at least the Cotto fight.

anyway, been trying to catch up a bit, still have to catch Ward vs Carl Froch, and ive heard good things on Porter Thurman. more to come!

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Canelo and GGG announce they will be fighting in September 2017.

Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) is a two-weight world champion, while Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) is the unified middleweight champion. GGG just fought Daniel Jacobs on March 18 in arguably the greatest test of his career, one in which he went to a 12-round decision for the first time.

Alvarez-Golovkin is set for Sept. 16 and will air live on HBO pay-per-view.

easily one of the most anticipated fights of the last decade or so - can't wait, tonight aside boxing's had a fantastic year.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...