Forum's current/recent status

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright Everyone   So, I actually have a PC set up at the moment (ol' Compy 386) and a bit of free time......SO IMMA FINALLY DO THE FUCKING UPGRADE     Probably in the ne

Ok, here are my official findings on the issue. I'm not sure if this is what caused the downtime earlier this year, but I suspect this is the culprit. Also, I will not be naming any names or companies

by popular demand, Recent Topics have returned!  they should be seen on the main page above the hollabox for most groups here, lemme know if they're not showing for you.    the default is sh

so i'm looking to get the update up & running hopefully the 16th of this month, or a couple weeks from now. this gives time to prep/backup the site and get stilly on board where he can too. thanks to his efforts, the bots crawling on our site have died down tremendously, hopefully anyone who was having a harder time accessing at certain points isn't having any issues now.

once we've a date for certain (i have to run it past IPB as well) ill post back & let everyone know, as we'll likely be down for most of that day. assuming things go well (haha!), ill have us back up & running soon as i can, though i imagine things will look barebones for a little while, giving is us all time to explore whatever new functions it brings.

again, renewing our license to stay with current software means we'll be agreeing to $50/year to IPB, while our annual hosting/server fees of $162 are already paid in full.

again, renewing our license to stay with current software means we'll be agreeing to $50/year to IPB, while our annual hosting/server fees of $162 are already paid in full.

Do we need to raise more cash? If so, please let us know.

A big thanks again to Stilly too.

• 2 weeks later...

okay, so i'm running a full backup of the site right now & putting in the upgrade order soon after! no idea if it'll get done tonight or tomorrow (they said mondays are pretty busy & can't really schedule these things, there's just a queue) but ill be taking us offline at some point to help the effort & fix things up!

gonna go say so in the shoutbox too, but one change should be that from now on, you'll log in with your display (current) name, instead of your old/original one. hope that doesn't confuse anyone or lock folks out!

• Upvote 1

Got the main theme up and "modernized". Should be working well on desktops and mobile devices everywhere. Let me know if there are any issues.

I will try to start porting the other skins over to this type of theme soon. Some will be changed more than others, some will likely be completely different. We'll have to see on an individual basis. I'm trying to recreate things that others put together years ago, but it shouldn't be too painful!

• Upvote 2

hell yeah you did! and the skin looks sharp on both ios & android. you're the real MVP today m'man!

post rebuilding is at 21% now, I'm told it could be dragging cause of our MySQL database size but today's traffic is said to be helping. most functions seem back, except HTML and sigs 

can't wait to get back & fully explore the new features 

• Upvote 2

yeah, the chat is set to chronological but new posts show up at the bottom instead of the top (until you refresh)

and yeah, videos are now auto embedded - try it, just post the URL for a YT video 

okay, so...not-so-great news on deck.

ive been caught up since the upgrade, but basically, our current server isn't looking to work since said upgrade was completed: our database (where the posts themselves are kept) has ballooned in size, and we were struggling to keep it under their low quota beforehand.  i wish i'dve known/anticipated this, but we've been under a 1 week warning since...last tuesday, and i've not been able to get much done since then.

i've requested an extension and to ask management about a partial refund of what we just gave them for the next year (...), and am talking to invision about our options, while our man stillbored is looking around as well.

ill keep everyone updated but if we don't get that extension, we could be down again starting tomorrow morning until this is sorted.  really am sorry for the bumps here, but hopefully we'll find a stable solution soon. 

Well shit.

Another problem I'm having is that when I go to 'unread content' it only allows me to click the thread itself and puts me at the start of the thread, posts over a decade old sometimes. I then have to click to view the last page but sometimes (and here's the problem) it locks up and I have to refresh the whole page. Sorry to add to the pile.

okay, yeah, gimmea  bit to look into that one

update: we've been granted a one week extension, and have until 10/31 to find a new home.  tings are kinda crazy over here but i'm gonna work on this tonight & keep everyone in the loop!  gonna also go contact billing to see what kinda refund we can get too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

It should be noted that when all the backups (old stuff leftover from the last version of the board) are removed, the database is still over the limit, but not any larger than it appears it was before the upgrade. The upgrade actually compressed a bunch of stuff, it's still just a huge amount of data. Almost 500k posts takes up a little bit of room. I'll do a full write up of the technical side of things in a bit.

• Thanks 1

so...after looking around for a while, it's starting to look like we might go back to Invision, the forum's software creators.  here's how that'd look:

+ we'd get tech support again (without having to always bother Stilly), so things like upgrades or board hiccups wouldn't be on us

+ we'd never have to worry about the size of the database - this is cool, because as stilly'd pointed out, we need a few hundred MB's just for the new, actually useful search 

- it's $30/month (we're currently paying like $14)

5 GB of space isn't a huge amount, but we're using about 4 right now and we'll prolly shed some of that as i go back & delete old skins/etc from the prior version. 
i mean, we have 20 GB right now and we just don't use most of that, imgur has worked out great for those needs

- the original reason i left there was that they reserve the right to force an upgrade after a certain amount of time.  i was pretty resistant towards this for years (6 this time, to be exact) but still's also pointed out the flaws in that: we leave ourselves open to hacking/security exploits, and a growing database that may have faults that are maintained in the monthly backups as well - leaving the possibility of more data loss

so yeah, that started out a minus, but we could use change from time to time - and if it ever gets to be too much again, hey, we can start the cycle anew

the only other hitch we currently have is siteground (our host) just took our $162 annual renewal payment & are currently resistant towards even a partial refund.  i'm gonna stay on this but i don't know how it'll play out, so i'm off to make another thread on how fundraising can work for future stuff...if we get nothing back, this is really on me & i'm sorry for that.  

more as it comes - one way or another, we'll have a new, hopefully more stable home this week!

• Thanks 1

Ok, so here's my write up on everything that's going on.

The Problem

We're too big for our britches here, ultimately. The current host requires that the database stays below 750mb. This is for one main reason (and several sub reasons):

• We are on a shared server.
    • Hondo's is hosted on a machine with (likely) several other sites. Whatever operations we're running must take a "fair" amount of resources.
      • I could get into deep theory here, but basically, to do things concurrently, the server has to split each task into "chunks" and process them one after the other. If we have too many "chunks", or too many that are a higher priority, things get tough for the other people on the server.
      • If we're running too many high priority tasks, we dominate the server, and the hosting company starts shutting stuff down.
    • Large databases cause problems (in general):
      • Everything you do on here is a query to the database (sometimes more than one at a time). If you post something, it queries the database to figure out where to put the post (topic, forum, etc.), and all the other information associated with it (author, time, etc).
      • Just because something was done recently (for example, this post, when I'm done, will be the most recent post on the forum), doesn't mean it's able to found immediately by the query (it would likely return all the other posts in this topic first).
      • So, all posts and users are essentially related to each other in some form or fashion. The larger the database gets, the longer it takes to get from Point A to Point B
    • Traversing the database takes system resources:
      • I think you can see where I'm going here. The longer it takes to get from Point A to Point B, the more processing power it uses. Of course, because everything works this way for us, that's a fairly high priority task and...causes everything else to slow down for everyone else.

Now, the fun part. Remember how I said the limit is 750mb? Currently we're sitting at 2,622.18mb. That's...that's a pretty big problem. To be fair, part of that is as a result of the upgrade. The forum software makes a copy of several of the tables within the database to act as backups in the event that something goes wrong. For whatever reason (probably because it's hard for the software to tell if something went wrong), it retains those backups after the upgrade is complete.

Even if we deleted those backups (which is not a problem), it really only saves us about 700mb or so, which isn't anywhere close to what we need to be. Ideally, we could save another ~400mb by deleting the search cache table, but that would all but disable the fancy new search function, which would be stupid because that STILL wouldn't bring us below the limit.

I only recently gained access to the cPanel, so I don't know how long this has been a problem, but I would venture to guess that it has been for a while now. I have no idea why they are just now bitching about it, the database just doesn't go over the limit by that much overnight.

The Solution?

Honestly, I'm not sure outside of what Nick has suggested. This is one of those that you can throw money at and fix, but I'm not sure how feasible that is in the long run. Another option is making an offline archive of old posts, but without starting fresh, it really wouldn't come close to fully fixing the problem, which kind of defeats the purpose.

The solution to this one is less technical than I'm used to.

Other Notes

• Upgrades to the software are, generally, a good thing. Keep out the baddies and get new features here and there.
  • A 5gb file limit might seem small, but there was easily 600mb of crap just sitting around the server that I was already able to clean out (including a database backup from 2014).
  • I have started a poll suggesting that a Hondo's Patreon be started to handle monthly donations directly to Nick. I would gladly help throw in some if I could just set it up and forget about it.
Edited by Stillbored
  • Thanks 1