Hondo's Bar

Marvel vs DC

The NZA

classic (...) 90s miniseries Marvel vs DC  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No one's mentioning the Superboy/Spider-Man match which, when I voted in and read this series back in the day, I found the most odd of all the pairings.

At the time the parallel was that Superman and Spidey were both clones because that was when Ben Reilly was in the suit, still it's more than a fair point as it made no fucking sense whatsoever.

Superman vs. Hulk (and I'm going with Green Hulk as Red Hulk got beat and outsmarted by the dumb original recipe green hulk, if it was Planet Hulk, then Jeph Loeb's abomination would be little more than a red smear on the face of the Marvel universe.) Assuming we're not going with a stupid ass "submission" battle like in the original series and we're talking a real fight to the death here, then I have to say Hulk. Superman is a huge deus ex, but not as big of one as Hulk (It's kind like how all the DBZ tards keep winning the Supes vs. Goku argument because Goku gets to put a new number on the end of "Super Saiyan" and get a larger hairdo and bigger pecs any time he faces the slightest danger of being beaten by anything.) So in the end the Hulk might be beaten like no other, but he's still victorious.

Captain America vs. Batman *sigh* No, this battle was dumb when I read it and I don't care if Bats has 8 years to prepare for this fight, Captain America would beat him. Black Panther would've been a more reasonable opponent. Bruce may be smart, resourceful, and agile but at the end of the day he's still just an average human being (albeit a well-trained and physically fit one) in a cape. Captain America fought off the third reich with nothing more than a shield for chrissakes, and he wasn't all "lurk in the shadows, brood about my parents, snatch up the enemy one at a time from my perch well out of bullet range" he jumped in, threw a shield, and ass was kicked. Now Bane vs. Nuke, there'd be a fight.

Wolverine vs. Lobo - Lobo should've fought Deadpool, it's a better matched fight plus both characters are a long forgotten parody of a character from the other company, that and neither can really die. Still I gotta say Deadpool would hand Lobo his ass in ways that Tommy Monaghan and Bueno Excellente never thought of. Hell, Wizard pitted Lobo up against Juggernaut which I thought was a better match than this. Regardless I gotta say Wolverine couldn't beat this asshat in a million years, much as I hate him I concede this.

Green Lantern vs. Silver Surfer - If this series hadn't been a popularity contest then Green Lantern would've fought Nova, as that's the Marvel equivalent of the Green Lantern Corp. But don't count Hal out just because Silver Surfer is super powerful, Hal's no slouch with that ring and even if he doesn't have sweet ass Ion powers he still stands a fighting chance against Norrin Rad, lets not forget he's been there to help take down some real badasses (though alas he was too busy fighting Sinestro to take on Superman Prime.)

Wonder Woman vs. Storm - Once again, if this wasn't a popularity contest it would be Wonder Woman vs. Thundra as Storm is nothing even vaguely similar to Wonder Woman. But I suppose they do both fly using air currents so uh... close enough, I suppose. When written right Wonder Woman is a savage badass that even makes Supes a little twitchy at times, Storm is always a black woman who uses her weather wizard powers to make lightning bolts and windstorms (the weather wizard equivalent of a big green boxing glove.) If Storm won this I think she would do it by a narrow margin, even at full power.

Deathstroke vs. Punisher - I really don't know who to suggest as an alternative (Kraven maybe) but the pairing of hitman and vigilante seemed far too incongruous in the one panel they showed it in the book. I think Frank would be way out of his league here and it would take Garth Ennis and a major deus ex to even up the playing field. Slade gets underplayed in most books the way a lot of truly great characters do but he's a lot stronger, smarter, faster, and better at killing than Frank Castle could ever dream of being, even with no depth perception and a mask that looks ridiculous.

Spider-Man and Superboy - This match makes even less sense than it did at the time. Spidey wouldn't stand a chance for the seem reason he didn't stand a chance against Superman back in that old-ass crossover. If I were to pick a DC character to pit against Spidey I'd do someone like Animal Man or The Creeper. Somebody who fits in his category (though Spidey really has no DC counterpart, one of the few characters who doesn't in fact.)

Flash vs. Quicksilver - Flash, even if it's Impulse. Flash's powers compared to Quicksilver's are like The Atom's powers as compared to Ant-Man. No contest, without even trying, Flash wins.

Thor vs. Captain Marvel - This is probably the most evenly-matched thing on here. Still, Captain Marvel (Pardon me, he's called "Shazam!" now for copyright purposes :2T: ) has less going for him than Thor does and I believe that in the end the God with the hammer is the one who wins.

Aquaman vs. Sub-Mariner - Namor got the shaft in the series. He may be infinitely more boring than the more colorful and pants-clad Aquaman, but he's a lot more powerful. Namor can do that talking to fish thing too, but doesn't because it's retarded. Not to mention he can fly and strong as Aquaman may be he's not even in the same zipcode as Namor power-wise. Even edgy bearded 90s Aquahook Aquaman doesn't stand a chance.

I'll also submit Ghost Rider vs. Etrigan since it appeared in a panel and you did Deathstroke vs. Punisher for that reason. (Nice job sidestepping Robin vs. Jubilee by the way.) This would be a very awesome fight to behold, though seeing as both are immune to hellfire it would seem that it comes down to brute strength and while Etrigan is one badass motherfucker Ghost Rider could've defeated the Hulk if it wasn't a dumb tie-in to a big event. (Seriously, lamest fight ever.) Ghost Rider wins, Johnny or Daniel, hell even Mike.

Doom is smarter, Ra's has several hundred years of evil and badassery to his name. Doom has Doombots, Ra's has Ninjas. I think it's a pretty even match

Thanks to Mark Millar's half-retarded Shenanigans Doom now has several millenia of badassery.

Also he's not a Vandal Savage ripoff.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the time the parallel was that Superman and Spidey were both clones because that was when Ben Reilly was in the suit, still it's more than a fair point as it made no fucking sense whatsoever.

Spider-Man and Superboy - This match makes even less sense than it did at the time. Spidey wouldn't stand a chance for the seem reason he didn't stand a chance against Superman back in that old-ass crossover. If I were to pick a DC character to pit against Spidey I'd do someone like Animal Man or The Creeper. Somebody who fits in his category (though Spidey really has no DC counterpart, one of the few characters who doesn't in fact.)

*sighs* I'm beginning to think that Captain America vs. Batman needs its own damn thread. It seems to be the one most talked about in here.

You mention that this is the Superman clone version of Superboy, but don't really go into what that means in regards to his powers. If I recall correctly, he got his powers not because he was a clone of Kal-El (which he wasn't a straight clone of him, but some weird human/kryptonian-hybrid-clone-thing), but because he had some form of genetically engineered version of Superman's telekinesis that allowed him to do so. If he were Superman when he was younger, he'd have won. Hands down. But since it's this version against Spiderman (and I'll need some information on which Spiderman he was fighting and what that would mean for his powers) that brings the outcome into doubt for me.

Now, if Superboy is just as strong if not stronger than the real thing, then let me know. Just wanting to throw this out there.

Fuck that. Bane Vs The Hood. Bane would make soft candy out of anything less.

Doom has the edge on Ra's with science & magic. The best Ra's could do is hope there's enough left to be carried to a lazurus pit.

Old school Superboy had TK right? let's say he disassembles Spidey's grey matter before Spidey can land a punch. There's your fight fought and won for either side right there.

this thread is awesome.

arch - you criminally undersell aquaman! if im to read flash, i gotta dig up some of his peter david shit for you.

logan knows what's up, by and large. also, to answer your question: my understanding is, like Thor in the day (remember this angle with him?), yeah, madder = stronger. they did kinda put a cap on that a while back, i cant point to when by at least by the point of Mr Fixit persona. but in regular U, savage (read: brainless) Hulk is not limitless in power anymore.

bish - dude, the fact that you're ranking Winter Soldier over Steve seriously shows what's wrong here. the "bats escapes to win later" copout doesnt fly here; two meet in an alley, Steve walks away. the fight takes longer than it oughta, sure, but that's it.

im telling you, i can appease your mad fanboyness with a list of people bats could take, and Cap belongs nowhere on this list. you people are failing in the votes here!

your villain idea's fun, there was a bit of that on the marvel vs DC cards in the day that never made it to the books, no idea why.

skeet - yeah he had TK, but can you have characters doing shit out of character? if they dont kill in the books, you cant have them do so here, id think.

baytor - i forgot ghost rider/etrigan, good call. you give Jordan more credit, and he's earned it, fair enough. oh, but the red hulk lost to green after he beat down Thor, didnt he? not to make a paper champ of him, but i wanna say it wasnt a clean fight, have to re-read it.

and yeah, by all accounts, Nova's off the charts right now, i dont know that'd be a more even fight.

Read Knightfall, and Rucka's Detective Comics run specifiaccly regarding the possibility that Bane is infact Bruce Wayne's stepbrother. Then you tell me how Kingpin's standing up to that guy. Bane is constantly underestimated in otehr mediums(what I saw of him in AA seems pretty fair though: At least he's Spanish as opposed to a grunting mess).

whoah, i read that shit in the day (knightfall, not rucka's run sadly) and totally dont remember the hints at being relatives. time to re-read.

i do agree that he's been underestimated uh, at least since the last bad bat-film.

bish - dude, the fact that you're ranking Winter Soldier over Steve seriously shows what's wrong here. the "bats escapes to win later" copout doesnt fly here; two meet in an alley, Steve walks away. the fight takes longer than it oughta, sure, but that's it. im telling you, i can appease your mad fanboyness with a list of people bats could take, and Cap belongs nowhere on this list. you people are failing in the votes here!

Look again. We are talking about the Batman/Captain America fight, yes?As of this post:

How about in this one?

Captain America [ 2 ] bar_left.gifbar.gifbar_right.gif [28.57%]

Batman (protip: this is the wrong choice) [ 5 ] bar_left.gifbar.gifbar_right.gif [71.43%]

What does who Bane's parents may or may not be have to do with the matter? Unless one of them's Kal-El and the other Wonder Woman, I don't see it.

Any living relative of Batman has to be awesome. You know it.

NZA- Nothing was mentioned in Knightfall, but Rucka basically took Bane's backstory with the 'sins of the father', and put forth the question of him actually being travelling Dr Thomas Wayne, and gringos macking on their weemens being the 'unforgivable crime'. I forget how it ended, I imagine if the bloodline was more solid more would be made of it.

This thread is geek overload, Nick. Too many fights to comment on in one thread! Too many posts to respond to...mind...swimming... in...geekitude...can't...focus. HEADMEAT EXPLOSIVO!!!!

Yes, I noticed your completely unbiased polling technique. It was very impressive incorrect.

Amended for accuracy. :D

And I love Lobo, but :2T: would totally destroy him.

*sighs* I'm beginning to think that Captain America vs. Batman needs its own damn thread. It seems to be the one most talked about in here.

You mention that this is the Superman clone version of Superboy, but don't really go into what that means in regards to his powers. If I recall correctly, he got his powers not because he was a clone of Kal-El (which he wasn't a straight clone of him, but some weird human/kryptonian-hybrid-clone-thing), but because he had some form of genetically engineered version of Superman's telekinesis that allowed him to do so. If he were Superman when he was younger, he'd have won. Hands down. But since it's this version against Spiderman (and I'll need some information on which Spiderman he was fighting and what that would mean for his powers) that brings the outcome into doubt for me.

Now, if Superboy is just as strong if not stronger than the real thing, then let me know. Just wanting to throw this out there.

No, I mention it was the Superman clone. The one Nick is talking about is the one who's currently dead at the hands of Superman Prime, I forget his quirks but I think he's a straight up Kryptionian and not the clone. I don't remember and I never really cared about Superboy anyway.

Ly - i can naught but teach, and hope my wisdom is (subtlety) heard. :2T:

baytor - no idea how, but if blackest night is to be believed, dude's been back for a bit (superboy).

Haku - dont even get me started. the only thing worse than bish trying to paper-champ cap ("his sidekick might put up a better fight!" <<oh, you d-bag. i recant my statment; cap knocks bats out so fast, that only Dick no, Damian lasts longer. :2T: ....was you saying :D destroys lobo.

seriously, if you love the guy, that's cool (always hated him myself, ill-thought out parody characters amount to little when guys like Deadpool exist, my opinion) and again, logan's my boy but there's such a huge gap in their weight divisions (if you will) again its not even a fight. meta-humans vs guys-who-can-toss-you-into-the-freakin-sun...you might as well just put Green Arrow against Ares here.

interesting votes, so far!

Superman vs Hulk is almost neck-and-neck, which is interesting. this was the biggest fight of the event, id love some more comments here. Logan was onto something by pointing out which form/limit of which hero were talking (superman's easier cause aside from red/blue he's been about the same post-crisis, no?)

Myself, baytor and im guessing newt are the only ones who know what's up with cap & bats. i cant overstate this: we're talking about a one on one battle in a random place (not NY or gotham). Bats can have all his gadgets, he's outclassed here on numerous levels. the actual comic-reading folk here deserve their own member group. :D

wolverine getting 2 votes is funny. the same "overblown character syndrome" im putting on bats most times, :2T: is traditionally worse with this fans, so i can understand this. all in good fun.

GL is doubling the Surfer's #'s? That's some interesting shit. do you guys underestimate the power cosmic, think Surfer'll hold back, or just think Hal Jordan will find a way?

the ladies and guns battles are both rightfully getting housed. i do think another matchup for deathstroke would be far more interesitng. who's in DC to take on Punisher, though?

spidey & super-boy are also almost neck-and-neck. this is another intresting one for me, id like to hear more on people's thoughts. i read it in the day and i still dont know how this fight would even go down.

flash v quicksilver is the most-agreed upon owning here, that's a trip.

Captain Marvel and Thor's pretty clean-cut as well. on aquaman & namor...i might be selling namor short, ive just seen him defeated by a lotta different people but he's no slouch. the "drop a whale on him" shit in the book was indeed lazy.

Superman vs Hulk

Hulk get's stronger as he get's madder. Hulk wins this.

Captain America vs Batman

Cap wins this one, but it'd be close

Wolverine vs Lobo

Unless Lobo is invincible, Wolvie can kick his ass (He's is a war veteran several times over and has been practicing all forms of martial arts and self defense for a hundred years.) If Wolvie can cut you, you're dead.

Green Lantern vs Silver Surfer

Don't know much about Green Lantern (as is the case with a lot of the DC characters on the list). But Silver Surfer is powerful as fuck, so I'll give it to him.

Wonder Woman vs Storm

Storm, but again have never read a Wonder Woman book.

Deathstroke vs Punisher

Fuck Ya'll all ya'll. After seeing what Frank survived at the end of Punisher Born i can see him taking out any non invincible.

Spider-Man (Parker, this time) vs Super Boy

Spidey (even if it is Pete)

Flash vs Quicksilver

Flash

Thor vs Captain Marvel

Fuck Marvel (dc) i vote Thor (mavel)

Aquaman vs Namor

Namor

Wolverine vs Lobo

Unless Lobo is invincible...

Funny you should mention that... Lobo can regenerate his body from a single drop of blood, really quick and here's the real kicker. Each piece of him (as small as a drop of blood) regenerates into a whole new Lobo that's as strong as the full Lobo. Usually this army of super-strong thrill killers dukes it out intil only one's left alive. I've got to imagine this takes hundreds of years. Regardless, all props to Wolverine, he doesn't stand a chance in hell.

Deathstroke vs Punisher

Fuck Ya'll all ya'll. After seeing what Frank survived at the end of Punisher Born i can see him taking out any non invincible.

Deathstroke is not a horde of untrained North Vietnamese soldiers, nor an army of Russians, nor a surprisingly inept Delta squad. Frank wouldn't get lucky, he wouldn't get the drop on him, and even his giant Punisher mech-armor he'd still get his ass handed to him by Deathstroke with a sword. He beat the entire justice league with a sword, a staff, and a laser pointer and that was with a team including Hawk Man (who could arguably trade blows with Thor), Zatanna (a magic user that could put Dr. Strange through his paces), and a Green Lantern (who might be able to pull out a victory over The Silver Surfer just due to willpower.) Frank's good, but nowhere near that good.

Funny you should mention that... Lobo can regenerate his body from a single drop of blood, really quick and here's the real kicker. Each piece of him (as small as a drop of blood) regenerates into a whole new Lobo that's as strong as the full Lobo. Usually this army of super-strong thrill killers dukes it out intil only one's left alive. I've got to imagine this takes hundreds of years. Regardless, all props to Wolverine, he doesn't stand a chance in hell.

wiki

At one time, Lobo could grow a copy of himself, possessing all of his skills and powers, out of every drop of his blood that was spilled. This power, however, was removed by Vril Dox, during Lobo's time with L.E.G.I.O.N.

Wolverine vs Lobo

Unless Lobo is invincible, Wolvie can kick his ass (He's is a war veteran several times over and has been practicing all forms of martial arts and self defense for a hundred years.) If Wolvie can cut you, you're dead.

Look, you wrote a lot of crazy things I disagreed w/ in that post (Storm beats Dirty Diana??!??!!?), but this wasn't one of 'em. *snikt*

ah, didnt know Lobo finally lost that ability. can he die, then? the old joke was that he "was so bad, heaven would refuse him and hell would send him back" blah blah crap writing. still, id love to join you guys on the pro- :wank: side...but if superman fears this guy and he's obviously on that level, isnt this like logan picking a fight with Sentry?

and yeah, to be honest i dont know much about Deathstroke (never read Teen Titans) , but seeing him handle half the JLA without too much trouble in Identity Crisis, again, made me think i shouldnt underestimate him. now, the current Punisher book (non-Max) has him fighting heroes/killing villains in the regular Marvel U again, but last i read he was fighting c-listers that the Hood resurrected.

also, i remember Wonder Woman being pretty good around the Deodato jr period when Artemis was around. but yeah, she's on a different pay scale than Storm is, too. She's not gonna be subdued by harsh weather. Im with ASC on classic DC being largely lame, but on average they do tend to overpower their characters, doesnt lend itself well to odd mismatches.

ps went back to look at the old Marvel vs DC book again recently...did the Hulk throw himself into a volcano or some shit? i dont even remember this. also, there was a brief Catwoman/Elektra fight i forgot about.

1255849509.jpg

ok, so...Green Lantern's still winning here, and id love to get into that.

i love GL, i do - but Surfer's powers are damn near off the charts. id love to back Jordan on this. so those of you voting for him, how do you see this playing out? who do you think he's taken on in a similar league?

ok, so...Green Lantern's still winning here, and id love to get into that.

i love GL, i do - but Surfer's powers are damn near off the charts. id love to back Jordan on this. so those of you voting for him, how do you see this playing out? who do you think he's taken on in a similar league?

i think this is a great match-up in that they both derive their powers from a source. and both have died and been "reborn." however, unlike my decision to vote for batman defeating captain america--which was based on logic--i really did a coin toss on this one when i voted for hal. while i dig the surfer's origin and look, i never really read many of his books back when he had his own title. he's a stronger guest star and not so much a headliner. i also have much love for old school hal jordan. but none of that means squat in a fight. . .

the winner also depends on when this fight happened. i'd say hal in his prime (pre-paralax back in late 80s early 90s), like wu-tang, ain't nothin' ta fuck wid. will power strong lika bull. current hal i'm not so sure. now i'm definitely behind on my GL reading and am far from an expert on GL mythos (as is NZA), but i'd think w/ all these new lanterns appearing it'd somehow weaken the GL's power source, no? hal has a disadvantage as well (i'd think) in that he has to go back to OA to re-power his ring and surfer just has to kinda recharge w/out returning to galactus.

all that said, i do think you're giving surfer too much credit w/ his powers though. i definitely don't think this is a mismatch in terms of power. in the end though GL's powers are ultimately determined by the will power and creativity and strength of the ring's wielder. hal jordan has proven he's 2nd to nonw when it comes to that and in the end i think he'd be able to subdue or at least somehow capture or imprison the surfer...

Archived