Hondo's Bar

Top Ten Best Movies of the Decade

As for movies like 300, Watchmen and Sin City, while they were fun, there's so much excitement I can have for a movie that takes so little liberty with the source material that very little new substances is shown. If Watchman were an original script, it might make it, but ultimately it was just an awesome novelty to see the story portrayed my living breathing actors, and novelties aren't making my top ten list.

"novelty"? by all accounts, Sin City and Watchmen (especially that one) shouldve been awful. they were instead incredible, and again with the latter, things were changed which worked better for film. you're just discounting them 'cause the source material comes from comics! people do bad movies on novels all the time, why are great films from graphic novels not on your list?

boo-man.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"novelty"? by all accounts, Sin City and Watchmen (especially that one) shouldve been awful. they were instead incredible, and again with the latter, things were changed which worked better for film. you're just discounting them 'cause the source material comes from comics! people do bad movies on novels all the time, why are great films from graphic novels not on your list?

boo-man.gif

I don't have an issue with graphic novel movies (I'm thinking of including Adaptation in my list), I'm only saying that these frame-by-frame word-for-word page-to-film translation that don't add anything to the story, and while that's great, it's not making my top ten list for the decade.

I don't have an issue with graphic novel movies (I'm thinking of including Adaptation in my list), I'm only saying that these frame-by-frame word-for-word page-to-film translation that don't add anything to the story, and while that's great, it's not making my top ten list for the decade.

That's a little unfair to the movie, isn't it? All the adaptations out there shouldn't have to get out of the original's shadow just to be considered a decent movie. How would you feel about the ones that do make your list if you found out they were adapted from books and didn't "add anything to the story"?

That's a little unfair to the movie, isn't it? All the adaptations out there shouldn't have to get out of the original's shadow just to be considered a decent movie.

Well, being a decent movie isn't the only consideration I take into account to include a movie in my top ten list for the decade. I own Sin City and 300, and will buy the Watchman Ultimate Cut when it comes out next week. I like all those movies, but their lack of bring something new to the table relative to other movies means I don't feel I want to put them on my top ten of the decade list.

So is No Country For Old Men a novelty as well?

So the two critics from At The Movies added their #8 films to their lists this week, and they were Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Mulholland Dr. Eternal Sunshine is surely making my Top Ten. Right now an early draft of my list, in no particular order, looks like this:

Eternal Sunshine

Finding Nemo

X2 or Spidey 2

Vanilla Sky

Amelie

Shaun of the Dead

Happy Feet

Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair (if I have to pick one, then Vol 2)

Bowling for Columbine

Tropic thunder maybe?

• 4 weeks later...

Putting a documentary on your top ten is like voting for Pat Buchanan, throwing your vote away. I could make a documentary with a sony handycam and $12, edit in some stock footage and songs that were popular 30 years ago and I have something as polished and well-made as anything Al Gore, Michael Moore, and Morgan Spurlock can put out.

i challenge this notion.

if you can make a documentary nearly as informative and entertaining as the ones you're looking at for $12, i will finance this film. there's a shit-ton of them these days, and only a small few reach commercial success...i dont think its that easy to break through, or that the genre should be the scourge of "best of" lists necessarily.

It's a movie that takes maybe a tenth of the work and breaking in is as easy as being as controversial as possible or being a former vice president. Hell, Al Gore put An Inconvenient Truth out of 95% stock footage on his laptop. Now try and tell me that even a fraction of the work that went into, say Crash as went into An Inconvenient Truth.

i challenge this notion.

if you can make a documentary nearly as informative and entertaining as the ones you're looking at for $12, i will finance this film. there's a shit-ton of them these days, and only a small few reach commercial success...i dont think its that easy to break through, or that the genre should be the scourge of "best of" lists necessarily.

I agree. i could make a top ten list with JUST documentaries.

King of Kong

Overnight

Chicago 10

Grizzlyman

This Film is Not Yet Rated

Rock School

Air Guitar Nation

Enron: the smartest guys in the room

Road to Guantanamo Bay

Gonzo

i can't think clearly to make an official list with so called "real" movies. but these are definitely some of the best of the decade in my opinion @.@

If you were talking something like Planet Earth or Carl Sagan's Cosmos series, I could see that. It's obvious that a lot of work was put in writing, getting the right shots, making things look good. All the ones I've seen listed here are interesting but they're shoestring movies, even as artsy as Gonzo tried to be it was still just a biography film like you could watch on the history channel. Voting any of those as the top 10 would be like voting for a science book for the greatest novel of the decade. Anybody can put facts out there, and anybody can state their opinion but there's not a lot of effort that has to be put forth. The documentary is the power chord of the movie world.

If you were talking something like Planet Earth or Carl Sagan's Cosmos series, I could see that. It's obvious that a lot of work was put in writing, getting the right shots, making things look good. All the ones I've seen listed here are interesting but they're shoestring movies, even as artsy as Gonzo tried to be it was still just a biography film like you could watch on the history channel. Voting any of those as the top 10 would be like voting for a science book for the greatest novel of the decade. Anybody can put facts out there, and anybody can state their opinion but there's not a lot of effort that has to be put forth. The documentary is the power chord of the movie world.

Oh, such anger. I like that last line, but I think it's innacurate. And Hawking's A Brief History of Time would be on my short list of all-time favorite books. I'm sure Nza would have some Dawkins books on his as well, him being the pinko commie liberal that he is. :blink:

It's a movie that takes maybe a tenth of the work and breaking in is as easy as being as controversial as possible or being a former vice president. Hell, Al Gore put An Inconvenient Truth out of 95% stock footage on his laptop. Now try and tell me that even a fraction of the work that went into, say Crash as went into An Inconvenient Truth.

Even if that were true, you'd still have to give Gore credit for making a film that created such a large and lasting discourse in our nation. Hell, it's still referenced today. Ultimately, I think all good filmmakers hope to make their audiences think and feel while entertaining them at the same time. A good documentary does that just as well as a good scripted film. However, I do agree the amount of work and cost put into a scripted film is greater than that of a doc thus the different categories for awards like the Oscars.