Hondo's Bar

Film Noir

The NZA

probably not, but id be willing to argue your not having sen Brazil (full version, not neutered-for-TV ed) is a worse sin than my lack of Chinatown.

if you consider dystopian a subgenre, i put this over Clockwork Orange and other 1984-type shit that i rather enjoy. its really good.

probably not, but id be willing to argue your not having sen Brazil (full version, not neutered-for-TV ed) is a worse sin than my lack of Chinatown.

if you consider dystopian a subgenre, i put this over Clockwork Orange and other 1984-type shit that i rather enjoy. its really good.

It's not been out of lack of desire, it's been out of lack of finding DVDs that don't cost horrendous amounts of money because the case looks like a Led Zeppelin album cover and it has the words "Criterion Collection" at the top. I could download it but my movies to download list is horrendously long, as is my downloaded movies I need to watch list. I'll get to it, I just haven't yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didn't care much for The Third Man.

Most classics like this have very little space for me to work with. Everything's been said already.

Best British film, that doesn't actually feel, or seem British? I didn't think it was a great film anyway. Extremely average. The core essentials that make a film a great film are missing. I'm sure you can think of them. As far as film noir goes, it didn't feel authentic. It's more of a very watered down James Bond film. Unlike most film noir, it failed to engage my attention. It picks up towards the end, but then it's just a few guys running around in a sewer not really up to much.

I'm hoping some reader out there would be so kind at explaining why this is considered a classic, great film, hailed as one of film noir's finest. I wouldn't even call it average, I think the plot was extremely poor, making the rest of the film (considering its genre) irrelevant and most of the dialogue being in German didn't do much either. This section seems to make the film sound fairly interesting, but again it those camera angles weren't well received at the time. I didn't even notice them. Looking on IMDb the film again is regarded by critics and the public as 'flawless'. Must be missing something.

I'll raise your 'Third Man with Lady From Shanghai.

from my blog

I saw the Criterion version of The Third Man for the first time about a year or two ago and really enjoyed it. I think the reason some people see the "classics" as you do Lor, is because so much cinema we've seen 20, 30, 40, 50 years down the line has been borrowed from, influenced by, or outright copied from the original "classic." Sometimes I find myself looking at "classics" this way (i.e. Wings of Desire), but The Third Man was not such a case for me. Perhaps it's b/c I watched the Criterion version and had more of a frame of reference for the time the film was released due to the wonderful supplemental features on the DVD set.

And I've yet to see Lady From Shanghai, but it is in my long queue of films to watch.

Is The Testament of Dr. Mabuse considered noir? I'm still a little vague on the classification system here. I saw that one a few months back and it blew me away.

Although I don't recommend it for Haku cuz he'll just talk shit and prefer a remake with Nic Cage. :2T:

Archived