Hondo's Bar

3D Dot Game Heroes

Newtype

You could buy the game

let's not be ridiculous. :judge: that said, its on GAF for like $25, i was debating it.

hate it like the darksiders mirror temple thing, or hate it like a zelda water temple hate?

• 2 months later...

Seriously? What was there to love in this game? There was no humor to speak of, and the mechanics were boring as all fuck. Enter a zone, swing, take steps forward, swing again. None of the bosses were hard, the only annoying dungeon was the flame dungeon, and that was still crazy easy to get through.

What's the appeal of this game? I really don't see it as anything other than well put-together boring.

that's not true at all! we can talk about this all day.

but you should prolly know a) again i've not played this game yet and b) as you rightfully pointed out, im crazy-biased about Legend of Zelda, so there's that.

what i'm saying is, thematically, there's no reason this shouldn't be GOTY Forever.

I'll quote GR's review because I know how much you love reviewers.

"It's so blatantly obvious that this was made with love for Nintendo's legendary franchise, but the more I play it the more I'm reminded that I own a SNES. I can play a game that's so much deeper and more engrossing with a blocky gray cart that's been in my room for years. And, just in case I didn't have it, I just have to find my cousin's Wii. Or pull out my GBA and pop in that port. "

"But when the game's working as it should, it's an enjoyable – if bland – experience. There are a ton of in-jokes, sure. But when you've heard them all before, it feels less like a tribute and more of a “we ran out of interesting things to say for ourselves”, and when you haven't heard them you won't get them anyway. Maybe I'm just jaded in my old age, but remember when games used to be all original and stuff? Those were the days..."

i mean, i get that...Yahtzee more or less said the same thing about Telltale's new Monkey Island series, didn't he? its certainly a valid complaint (in this instance moreso, id guess?), specifically if you're not playing knowing/wanting just that affect.

you're also on the money (for the most part) about the challenge of said original title being the length of the sword, though there were bigger problems/challenges in the 2nd quest. thing is, based on all the retro-love ads newt sprinkled this thread with, im not expecting anything past homage, and the closest thing i can see to "reinventing the wheel" is the character creation mode, though again i could totally be wrong when i make it.

i guess i'm saying your review there is likely right, but since i kinda want the experience he didn't seem to enjoy, i'm figuring my mileage will vary. last i asked him, newt was still stuck in the 5th or so dungeon, so i'm not expecting a cakewalk either.

Maybe I'm just jaded in my old age, but remember when games used to be all original and stuff? Those were the days..."

When were these days? I do not recall them. Apparently this user was around when the Magnavox Oddysey was invented cause I'm pretty sure that's the last time original ideas met video games.

It may be an adequate homage, but the giant sword makes combat a joke.

I mean, honestly, it wasn't a bad game, not by a long shot, but I was bored throughout. If you're looking for an homage to a game you think is great, you may find a lot of it in this game, but then again you have the game that this is based on if you honestly want to explore what you used to love.

though as soon as you hear that there's an official mode where you're playing as 8-bit rules mario you'll probably stop caring to listen to me.

I thought this game was great. Probably not as awesome as I hoped, but a fun throwback nonetheless. If anyone is still playing and wants a new character to play with, this place has tons of mods...however, it may be saturated with 3700 Link, Sephiroth and Cloud variants. Tread carefully.

This game was the reason I bought a PS3. It's very much an unapologetic tribute, if Zelda & A Link to the Past aren't etched into your brain then I imagine a lot of it would be lost on you. I imagine it would be like seeing a cover band when you aren't familiar with the original, ultimately disappointing.

I've enjoyed what I've played of it, which I admit isn't much.

Would you watch a cover song when the real deal is a 20 year old classic done in midi format, and the new one is a flac file?

fixed that silly shit for you, and yes. :transmet:

much love to Los for lending me this one, cant wait to play it tonight.

Archived