Hondo's Bar

The games we never got

The NZA

Resident Evil 1.5 leaked!

This here is an ISO of our work in progress build of the Resident Evil 1.5 restoration project. It is not representative of the current state of development of the non-profit restoration fan-project. For updates on that, please see the bottom of the file for suggested locations to monitor things or visit the YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBZork

The build you now have downloaded is a bit of an unstable mess. The instability mainly comes from a tiny experiment we were running on this very build and the build itself had the joke name "Magic Zombie Door". It's an old build and in no way representative of the current state of missing room implementation, restoration of broken elements, or addition of new content.

Many of the features you see in the build, as explained in our making of videos, comes from injecting pieces of C code that adds features and functionality that was broken, missing, or otherwise needed. There's a terrible bug we internally called "Air Jesus" present in this build, a legacy issue from the vanilla build, where inspecting objects will often cause ... undesirable results. This bug has since been fixed, but is currently present in this build. While, technically, the load feature works, the save feature's brokenness makes it pretty useless. These are also features that're fixed and will be working in the final release. There are also many stability issues that causes the game to crash or otherwise misbehave, most of these have since been fixed too. So unless there's a very Konami Code-esque approach to how you trigger a randomized and reproducable bug, please don't lose your breath attempting to report bugs to us.

Resident Evil and the Biohazard are property of Capcom. The project is an unofficial fan-effort, entirely non-profit, comparative to such other fan efforts as Street Fighter x Megaman, Megaman X Corrupted, Dark Biohazard, various modifications to other Resident Evil titles, and so forth. All with purpose and intents of a non-profit nature, and rooted entirely within what most would consider fair use and the healthier side of fandom - aimed exclusively at providing fellow fans with a glimpse into a world that once could've been and to enable them to revisit the world of Survival Horror once more in the way only the 90s could, whilst at the same time showing our own love and support to a franchise, platform, and decade we hold dear.

i0tUo9he2PShT.jpg

ipO86MmA72YZ8.jpg

ibiKUa7rUiM1oo.jpg

ibbdVViLECIgEF.jpg

iZrPRHSxLSPPp.jpg

izAXuIiRawWJQ.jpg

Y'know...

(braces for impact)

...I never played the first or second Resident Evil. At all. Not even for a minute. I think it's probably too late now. I'm relatively certain it's one of those "had to be there" games, where it was really amazing at the time, but doesn't hold up very well.

I mean, that's pretty much how I feel when I revisit the Resident Evil games I did play (pre RE4. That one's still pretty fun).

I figure those first couple don't stand a chance.

If you had or have a chance to play them then it should probably have to be on gamecube. It would soften the blow of bad aging I think. Then again I never played Re 2 or 3, not sure if that matters. Zero was probably my favorite pre RE4 resi game.

Edited by axel_napalm

7IScB4j.gif

what the hell were you doing in the mid to late 90s

ill admit, i tried (again) to finish Code Veronica X a year or so back, it's a rough play. that, 3 and Dino Crisis are still on my list, but yeah, they're culturally important but rather dated...the experience hinges entirely on your tolerance for

1) early 3D graphics/32 bit era

2) tank controls

# 2 hampers things for me more than 1...though if you're ever genuinely curious about part 1, i can't stress enough how fantastic the Gamecube remake is. that title literally sets the bar for remakes, ups the challenge a bit too.

*edit shit axels you know i never played zero either

what the hell were you doing in the mid to late 90s

Collecting Super Nintendo games from garage sales, mostly.

I have absolutely no problems with dated graphics, ever.

Now tank controls...that's a horse of a different color. The remakes didn't fix that? Or at least offer an alternate control option? Missed opportunity.

axels i know you're right, it's totally one of these things on my list when i see it in a case for like $5, not $20 or so like every speculative nintendo seller does nowadays

loggins - well, your time wasn't misspent. and yeah, i initially thought so too, but when you think about kamiya's design at the time...it'd kind've break the whole thing if you put in better controls, and i don't trust current capcom to balance shit out. for instance, i wanna say either 3 or CV (i don't recall 2 having this) let you hit the X button + back to do a desperately-needed 180 turn, something you take way too much damage from dogs & the like in 1 without. if you could somehow move freely like in part 4, you'd run into problems with

a) fixed camera angles on a control system built for free-roaming

b) ammo from missed panic shots + health item scarcity wouldn't create the same effect - seriously, early RE was a bitch at times if you weren't super conservative with both of these, it was a big part of the experience that the later games shed

again the REmake for GC improved on these things, and absolutely balanced it out wonderfully to not only keep you on your toes, but added the element of sorting out if it was truly worth it to take out zombies in the common paths of backtracking, since you could make the situation infinitely worse if you weren't careful.

mind you, i'm not at all trying to defend tank controls here - they're not good, even in silent hill. just that if they slapped a more modern control scheme in there & left it as is, people would say it was broken to hell like first person shooting in MGS: Twin Snakes.

i think the biggest moment when they drive me nuts in RE1 is when a dog is basically biting your ass, and gets a free hit or two in while you awkwardly hover/circle around and try to line up your gun so as to not miss nearly point-blank

whichever chapter added that low-level form of auto-aim, that was also helpful

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

gunsmith always laments this one, cause you just can't play it on a Super Everdrive like he's got (lacks an FX chip)...emulation is pretty much the only option. you can get a repro cart, but they have to gut another FX game, and the only one i don't feel bad about that with is Stunt Racer.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Prototype Arcade "Beavis And Butthead" game now on display at Galloping Ghost

For those that missed the LIVE stream last night, we added another LOST Prototype arcade game to the floor! Beavis and Butthead! It was being worked on by Atari in 1996 when it was cancelled. Huge thanks to Jeremy Fox of Prince Arcades for finding this one and opting to have it go on floor for everyone to enjoy rather than sell it to a collector to be locked away. When we received the cabinet, its proprietary CD drive was not working and the game was completely dead. The drive had an odd ribbon cable we'd not seen before. The jamma based PCB looked to be in very nice shape as did the entire cabinet. The CDs would not recognize in a PC so we were unsure of their functionality. The cabinet was very clean and contained the original sales documentation stating it was sold at an MTV auction in 1999 and was one of only 12 made. I'm certain not all 12 are still in existence any more. Our is Prototype #9.

While the game would not start, when the reset button in the cabinet was pressed, a 3DO logo would display. That sparked the idea to go do a little research on the 3DO. It quickly looked like the drive in the old Panasonic 3DO used the same cable. We went out the next day and found a used 3DO and opened it up. Taking the drive out and just connecting it to the PCB did not start the drive properly. So we put the drive back in the 3DO and let the Power go from the 3DO to the drive and the data cable go to the Beavis and Butthead PCB. Moments later Seth Young and I heard the incredibly recognizable music of the Beavis and Butthead theme song. Now it is available for all to play! Keep an eye out as we will be posting a full release video and full play through video. We also have a second CD we will try soon as well. It could be the original concept disc of the game that was just a series of mini games!

12983240_1014268391955554_1418448745530210754_o.jpg

12671706_1014268488622211_755078508955599110_o.jpg

12916245_1014268505288876_2459383489418216234_o.jpg

• 4 weeks later...