Hondo's Bar

Best Epic Series

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh i didn't know what you meant by epic. Um...damn it well I think Back to the Future should count. Come on...I was torn when the doloreian got struck by lightning too! Why does a little comedic element automatically rule out this as an epic?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argh i suppose it doesnt but the poll was meant to be (not that that's ever mattered) Star Wars Vs Lord of the Rings Vs Matrix in the battle for "greatest epic trilogy" in the traditional sense of the epic, which even Matrix conforms to, at points. Vote for "other" like Silent Bob if ya want, but its not really contributing... ???

the poll was meant to be (not that that's ever mattered) Star Wars Vs Lord of the Rings Vs Matrix in the battle for "greatest epic trilogy"

Hold the phone! Just a minute! If this is a poll for greatest epic trilogy, in the strictest sese of the word, does that mean we're dicussing only the original star wars trilogy (Epi4-6)? That changes EVERYTHING! Even The Neverending Story can't beat the original trilogy!

Well i'm Boromir!! Ah well.

The way i see it is, Matrix, fucking spectacular so far, and very original looking forward to the next installments.

LOTR is already considered an Epic in the literary world, a monster fucking book, thats an excellent read so far, just finished the Fellowship of the Ring, and thats better than the film, the film was class, but the book uses your imagination, on screen your seeing how other people interpret things in the book. Its still fooking good though.

Star Wars, while amazing, and ahead of its time, never really appealed to me, and the two newer prequels havent stimulated my interest enough in that particular group of films.

On what i've seen, and the fact i have the DVD the Matrix gets my vote, but only just ahead of LOTR!

Same here with Star Wars, I saw them loadsa times as a sprog but never had that much desire to see them again, the prequels haven't done it for me either...

LotR I'm not that keen on but SoF'll tell you I came out of the cinema complaining...but that's not to say the next two won't be great.

Matrix gets my vote, great start to the series with the next couple looking badass so far.

I'm reading The fellowship of the ring right now SOF. I just finished up the Council of Elrond. Crazy series if it doesn't let up, which i doubt it will. The Matrix really is thsi generations Star Wars if you ask me. Just hope that they don't release some horrible prequel trilogy in 20 years, cause witht he matrix, they is obvious material for prequel scripts: The rising of the machines, downfall of man, etc.

Well the fellowship is really a good book, i am waiting for the rest of the books to come to me in the mail (yes i know that the LOTR is only one book) but i've ordered the three for € 20, Two Towers, and Return of The King, and whilst on a Tolkien trip, also the Hobbit, hardback for €13. They will be here any day now, until then i have David Baldaccis - Total Control to finish!

I don't doubt that the book will be fantastic, it is wetting my appetite for the next film! which looks pretty cool!

PS €1 is approx = US $ 1

LOTR isn't one book, it's three. It's possible to buy one bound edition of all three, but for the most part they are sold separately. I bought the four books (Hobbit + LOTR) in a box set for a few bucks and used book store. I'm on The Two Towers now. Fuck, man, 167 pages into it (over a third of the book) and no word from Frodo and Sam! Will there be no mention of them until the Return of the King? Stupid suspense....

It was men to be one book, but they split them up, and they published them years apart from each other. Since they were released at difference times and the majority of editions have been printed in separate books, they are considered a trilogy, even if the story was written as one. I'm not spoiling anything. Sorry if I said too much (I didn't think I said anything spoiler-like). My roommate was reading the Two Towers too, and we has trying to spoil stuff for me, but I've been catching up and soon I'll have passed him since he lost him copy, and then the shoe will be on the other foot :D

See, I actually think that teh 'one vision' is necesary for a trilogy. I don't think of Jurassic Park as a trilogy; I consider it a series. Star Wars was one vision to start with, so it's a trilogy. Back To The Future was actually not all written out, but the rough idea of the next two installment were in place before first one was made. The Matrix was the same way, otherwise they would have tried to show the downfall of the matrix in the end of the first movie. To me, if there's one vision behind three movies (or books), that is a trilogy.

Star was is NINE episodes long, in theory. Lucas had a huge scope for the story and the history behind it. He looked at it after getting is basic outline figured out and said to himself This is way too ambious for one movie, I'll break it up into a trilogy. So he did. He looked at the thrid parts and decided the second would be best for a story. He looked at it again and said to himself This is also way too ambious for one movie, I'll break IT up into a trilogy. He did the first part and of the second trilogy, hoping to be able to do the other two parts someday. But he decided the other two trilogyies were kinda boring and only served him as a history and backstory for his own purposes to get his story in place. After years and years of pressure to see prequels, because he named the three movies Episodes 4, 5 and 6, he finally said OK and made the prequel trilogy.

Yeah, EpII was fun, but nowhere near as fun as Star Wars or Empire. And don't get me started on the dialogue! It's a shame he cancelled his proposed third trilogy. It would have been nice to see some of the old characters again. Han, especially. I've always believed that one of the biggest problems with the prequels has been the lack of a Han Solo character. There just aren't any intelligent "everyman" characters, they're all high-and-lofty politicians and such.